This is not a goodbye thread

What a SMALL world indeed! Now we're talking my family roots eddiehimself. Most of my relatives live in this neck of the woods across the pond. The epicenter of the family tree is Beverley, Yorkshire. I've spent MANY summers in Beverley and all points near and beyond over some 27 years now of travelling over from Canada. LOVE that little town. Between pints at Nellie's {new name now ?} and the amazing Beverley Minster and St. Mary's church the feel and history of that town is tops on my list of favorite English port of calls.

Back to the subject at hand all the best Gregg as i've said before when I first caught wind of your upcoming move.

Nice one! Well yeah nellies still is here i think but now we have some other places as well such as d4nhk and the jaz bar as well as all the old pubs like the tiger, the kings head and the woolpack, if any1 ever is having a drink there then do give no 40 a wave lol. I got my mate to register on here who also lives here, he's promised to post pics of his chrome over vistalite kit so we might be seeing that soon, i think he definetly knows a bit more about the local drinking holes and that.

Actually it's funny because we know sum1 who is canadian and used to live down our street. Probably not related though.

Last edited:
I'm in Portsmouth, about 70 miles away on the South Coast. Definitely not the hotbed of the the UK music scene. Saying that Will Calhoun was here last week, missed it though. Where in London are you settling?

I'm in Portsmouth, about 70 miles away on the South Coast. Definitely not the hotbed of the the UK music scene. Saying that Will Calhoun was here last week, missed it though. Where in London are you settling?

Settling? North somewhere, but for the first bit we'll be staying in Hither Green (in/next to Lewisham) till we find something more in the middle of the city.

Calhoun is great, too bad you missed him! I saw Living Colour many years back and they amazing.

GB

Settling? North somewhere, but for the first bit we'll be staying in Hither Green (in/next to Lewisham) till we find something more in the middle of the city.

I didn't realise you were a millionaire! My auntie lives in lewisham. I think her and the family are moving out though now that they've got a 3rd kid on the way. The house is a bit small.

yeah well the only thing is you'll have to get a roland electronic kit or something otherwise the neigbours won't be best pleased lol.

Practise?! Bah! No, just kidding, lol. I have a space lined up to practise, so I'm ok there. Aaaaactually, since I started this thread and have a question myself....Anyone have any experience with the mesh head jobbies? What's the deal with those, they work well enough?

GB

This is kinda funny but Canada is up there in one of my place I'd like to live. swap? :p

I'm excited for you. This must feel like a big adventure, a whole new start. You must be so nervous but excited at the same time. Wonder if I'd have the guts to do this sort of thing when I'm a bit older.

I'm from Manchester which is up north, England's second city. (Manchester is definitely the second city, not Birmingham like some people may tell you! lol) I went to London for the first time last year on holiday and didn't expect to like it because I'm very proud of being from the north, but I was totally surprised. It's a very cool, busy city with lots going on.

Wish you the best of luck on your move!

This is kinda funny but Canada is up there in one of my place I'd like to live. swap? :p

Yeah canada is definetly high on my list of move to places, should the BNP take over.

Also i agree totally about manchester. People say brum is the 2nd city but really i think these days it's generally accepted that it's manchester. That's another place you really have to visit TS, great place.

Thanks for the well wishes freebird! I AM excited, and a little nervous but probably not as much as I should be! I'm glad there will always be something for me to do there, I DO get bored easily. Also, I am a history nerd so er, yeah- UK....=)

Canada has it's benefits and I would be glad to answer any questions however,clearly do not ask ME if it's a great place to live (Toronto, anyway). What makes Canada so appealing to you guys, if I may ask?

I know where Manchester is, my British geography is pretty good (except apparently for Greenwich, but shhh, Duncan). So what do you guys mean 'second city'? Would that be a status thing, or an importance thing? Is it an official designation or not?

Are you a United or City fan, Freebird?

Thanks again!

GB

Thanks for the well wishes freebird! I AM excited, and a little nervous but probably not as much as I should be! I'm glad there will always be something for me to do there, I DO get bored easily. Also, I am a history nerd so er, yeah- UK....=)

Canada has it's benefits and I would be glad to answer any questions however,clearly do not ask ME if it's a great place to live (Toronto, anyway). What makes Canada so appealing to you guys, if I may ask?

I know where Manchester is, my British geography is pretty good (except apparently for Greenwich, but shhh, Duncan). So what do you guys mean 'second city'? Would that be a status thing, or an importance thing? Is it an official designation or not?

Thanks again!

GB

I just think canada seems like a nice place, i guess they were probably being a bit biased but i remember on BFC the video they were basically showing how many people in canada leave their doors unlocked because of the lack of burglaries. Apparently. It's a beautiful place in terms of it's geography too.

Grenwich is in south east london, it's where what was the millenium dome (now the O2 arena) is. It's the opposite side of the bank from where all the big business buildings are. It's also the centre of time, and the world's largest talking clock.

Manchester is actually the 2nd biggest city in the UK second only to, well i think you can guess eh? Historically it was one of the centres of the industrial revolution. These days it gets many visitors each year and the universities are some of the best in the country. It's highly multicultural with a massive chinatown area and there are a hell of a loada shops. Many classic and famous UK TV shows such as Coranation Street are made in Manc too.

But i think possibly above all that stuff is what you just mentioned. The Footie. Manchester utd. for people in this country (people who aren't fans at least) is known as being "the team that is supported by almost everybody who ISN'T from Manchester!" Let's face it, along with Arsenal, Real Madrid and FCB Barcelona, Man U is possibly the most famous football club in the world. Every football fan from Alaska to the phillipines (sp?) and Austrailia has an opinion on Manchester United whether they love or hate the team. I think that has got to have something to do with the Economic fortunes of the city.

Manchester is another AMAZING place. Lots of interesting history going on in this vibrant cultural center of the North. Great beer and pub food , pretty ladies and the incredible transport museum and art gallery are well worth a visit if staying there long enough {I had 4 days}. The signs directed at visiting football fans and how they should behave themselves in regards to airport staff at arrivals at the Manchester airport is worth the price of swing through that terminal alone..... :}

Getting close G....!

Gregg is a history buff. Ask him about the slave trade any day of the week - or as I like to call it, the Toronto Jazz Scene.

Gregg, we'll go somewhere cool. I've got to work out where a good pub is nearish both of us. Looking forward to seeing you, but I'm not going to be down until the 5th of July and after that we'll sort out the stuff.

Ha ha, eddie, yeah, that's the common misconception. I think the people Michael Moore talked to in that movie were just crazy. No one I know leaves their door open usually and NEVER unlocked. Mind you, I'm in Toronto, maybe it's different elsewhere, but it's still not a wise move! What about Vancouver Stan, do they there?

Canada IS geographically...abundant, let's say. Mostly because for size of the bloody place, there's barely anyone here! Don't get me wrong though, Canada IS a nice place.

I know a smattering of Manchester (mostly football oriented, but historically too). Didn't know Coronation St was filmed there though. I CAN say I was gutted when someone told me that East Enders was filmed on a set, and Walford was fictional.=) I will absolutely visit Manchester at some point (for football)- and thanks Stan for your Canadian perspective, I always appreciate that. I think its cool to have both sides, the British perspective and the Canadian one, like Stan and Boomka, for example. I also appreciate the history lessons and cultural stuff, thanks guys, really. By the way, you;re right Stand, it's REALLY getting close. I should be packing.... They take plastic bags from the supermarket on the plane as baggage, right????

Duncan- only too true, both parts! We'll find a place, don;t worry. Besides, if we drink too much you can always crash on our...er...floor? ....table....uh....bass drum case?

GB

Seeing as you've got an 18" or a 16" (bass drum case that is) floor it is. Or sofa. But I am 6'2" and they do crick my neck.

Ha ha, eddie, yeah, that's the common misconception. I think the people Michael Moore talked to in that movie were just crazy. No one I know leaves their door open usually and NEVER unlocked. Mind you, I'm in Toronto, maybe it's different elsewhere, but it's still not a wise move! What about Vancouver Stan, do they there?

Canada IS geographically...abundant, let's say. Mostly because for size of the bloody place, there's barely anyone here! Don't get me wrong though, Canada IS a nice place.

I know a smattering of Manchester (mostly football oriented, but historically too). Didn't know Coronation St was filmed there though. I CAN say I was gutted when someone told me that East Enders was filmed on a set, and Walford was fictional.=) I will absolutely visit Manchester at some point (for football)- and thanks Stan for your Canadian perspective, I always appreciate that. I think its cool to have both sides, the British perspective and the Canadian one, like Stan and Boomka, for example. I also appreciate the history lessons and cultural stuff, thanks guys, really. By the way, you;re right Stand, it's REALLY getting close. I should be packing.... They take plastic bags from the supermarket on the plane as baggage, right????

Duncan- only too true, both parts! We'll find a place, don;t worry. Besides, if we drink too much you can always crash on our...er...floor? ....table....uh....bass drum case?

GB

Everything is locked up tight here Gregg. Don't you know we're the gang capital of North America. We've had more gang related by rival member to member shootings resulting in death this year than the number of gigs in total i've done in 09!. Maybe they'll all do each other in so it will the nice place to live again like it was when I first moved here in the 80's. Still a lovely place to live with some good creative players to play with here on the Coast.

Yes you better get those suitcases.. err....I mean plastic bags :} packed. Remember to put anything small made of metal or they can percieve to be a unboard threat in the underbelly of the plane NOT in your carry on!

Have a great trip and do visit some of our DW members in Yorkshire and up in Manchester down the road. The trains out of London are fast and efficient to all points North...... by a Brit Rail pass..... you can have a pint on the train too :}

Start packing.....:}

Thanks again!

GB
Yea I got a good impression of Canada from BFC too lol. But I dunno it just seems like nice place, friendly neighbours to the north and all that. I don't have any real knowledge of the place. I suppose I'd just like to be somewhere where it snows at christmas lol.

The second city thing is more of a status/pride thing, nothing official. Some people say that Manchester should be the capital (mainly people from Manchester lol) but obviously it's never going to be so we settle with 'second city'.

Oh and it's Man U ftw. The rest of my family are city fans so it causes trouble :p If you're coming to England you're going to have pick a team. You can't just say you're neutral. Just to prepare you before any footy fans probe you! :p

Back