Double bass pedal tension!?!?

Zoofie

Hello there
Those of you who play double bass drum , what do you find is a good tension for both fast double bass , and slow controlled double bass :)?
Thanks!

Everybody has their own preference when it comes to spring tensions. But for me, I have my springs as tight as they'll go. This turns my ankles into muscled masses of death, as the increased tension gives you more resistance, and helps with making the foot board come up faster with your foot. Tight springs help with fast double bass, but are equally as suitable for playing slower.

Everyone will have their own settings and you may have to have left and right different to compensate for one leg being dominant or stronger.

I switch back and forth, can't make up my mind apparently.

Hello there
Those of you who play double bass drum , what do you find is a good tension for both fast double bass , and slow controlled double bass :)?
Thanks!
I simply can't seem to get the hang of tight springs. I play with the balls of my feet, but even with using my body weight I can't seem to get them to "git up and go". I've been using light tention since back in the days of using Speed Kings, I would loosen them up to JUST before getting floppy, basically as loose as they'd go before being useless and it's followed me to all of the pedals I've ever used.

I once had the privileged of sitting and playing Derek Roddy's kit during his setup at a benefit I was a photographer at. I literally couldn't play a note, the pedals were so tight as to what I was used to. (a very cool guy, and I got to hang with him a lot that weekend)

I currently use DW 5000's with the standard DW beaters and Iron Cobra's with Sonor's conical wood beaters and both pedals have the offset cams as I can't seem to get the regular round sprockets to naturally play "off the head" with the wimpy tension I use.

Fortunately there's no shortage of quality pedals that would fit the needs of whatever way you need to set them up, the biggest problem is finding out what one really is the BEST one for you!!

I spent a LOT of money on some really good pedals that weren't designed for what I was looking for, but at the time I wasn't clued in to the parameters that would do the job for me.

I have mine loose. Less tension in the springs presumably equates to less tension in my legs, and that must be a good thing.

Back