If you drink when you play in bars do you drink when you practice?

MrPockets

Gold Member
It only makes sense to recreate the live playing situation.

I guess this question applies to other 'things' as well...

I occasionally have a glass of wine, at dinner, at a gig, sometimes at a rehearsal with one group of wine coniss... connuess... fanciers. But I also don't have wine with dinner or at gigs or rehearsals. It's not tied to an event, sometimes a glass is nice, but never required to enjoy dinner, or playing.

Bermuda

I cant drink when I play drums....it doesn't satisfy my thirst and I get real thirsty playing drums...beer no fum on drum

Giuitar gigs are another story....I'll throw back corona and take two at a time prior to the next set. Nephew and future son-in-law on speed dial for the ride home :)

On days off I'll have an odd beer before heading out to the shed for practice; with a few of my bands we have also had a brewski or two over the course of a three-to-five-hour practice -- but never enough to be sloppy.

If 4 years on this forum has taught me anything, it's that no-one drinks and plays on Drummerworld.........and there is no distinction from having one beer to getting so pissed you fall off stage. :)

Indeed not - no alcohol, junk food or any kind of drug before playing at any time. I will only drink still mineral water 3 weeks before playing (only still mineral water because the gas in the bubbles diminishes muscle fibre function).

Once at the venue I bring out my prayer mat and engage in healthful prayer and pure thoughts until it's time to start biting the heads off chickens and setting fire to the kit. It's important to do the right thing.

As a brief digression from my path of self-righteousness, it should be said there is such a thing as state-dependent memory - where you are more likely to remember what happened when you were drunk when you're drunk.

I... ever, ...err, never.. drink febore, during and atfer laying... err, P-L-A-Y-I-N-G, yeah... playing the rhums, no, kit... set... drumset... drums, but the fanny thing, ...err, funny, hehehe... it that I nerver ever r'member which thong... song we slay... play first... some times I do get it not right and sometimes I'm getting it wrong, or the other way round, I wasn't... don't r'member... but I'll have a glass or two or three or four when I'm particin... practicing!!!

CHEERS

Contrary to my previous posts, I never drink at a gig or while practicing. I'm slow enough without it.

I always have a beer or two before a gig. Never get drunk, obviously - but I find one or two pots relaxes me a bit.
Rehearsal... depends. If it's a nice day or later on the day, yes.

In the 90's when I was playing the bars, I always had one beer per set. Then a couple more afterwards. I don't drink at all now, but my band members have 1 or 2 at rehearsals. I've not played any gigs with this band yet. I assume they'll keep a handle on it.

I generally play with 45 beers and 1 shot in my system. I only feel right after 45 beers and 1 shot...

I generally play with 45 beers and 1 shot in my system. I only feel right after 45 beers and 1 shot...

Buckshot in my case. 45 beers and buckshot when I'm running to the gig from the house I was in cause I'm a backdoor man.

Indeed not - no alcohol, junk food or any kind of drug before playing at any time. I will only drink still mineral water 3 weeks before playing (only still mineral water because the gas in the bubbles diminishes muscle fibre function).

Once at the venue I bring out my prayer mat and engage in healthful prayer and pure thoughts until it's time to start biting the heads off chickens and setting fire to the kit. It's important to do the right thing.

As a brief digression from my path of self-righteousness, it should be said there is such a thing as state-dependent memory - where you are more likely to remember what happened when you were drunk when you're drunk.

This is my favorite thing you've ever posted.

It's not a requirement for me or anything. I suppose I usually have a beer or two before a show, I like nice beer, and almost always I'm playing at a uh, alcohol-vending establishment, so there's usually free beer for the band to be had. As we all know, free beer tastes even better than regular beer.

I cut myself off at about 3 for a show, and even that's only if I've got time to kill at the venue, or it's some really dirty punk rock venue where having fun and pushing energy is more important than precision.

As for practicing... I guess I usually drink less at band practices. Usually no beer, maybe one or two if I decide I want to. I'm more of a social drinker so I almost never have a beer while I'm just practicing patterns/technique on my own.

Interestingly, I do an open mic each week as a sort of default house drummer when no one else wants to play drums... I drink for that. I'll have whiskey and beer through the night. Usually I play just fine, but the thing about that is, since I won't accept money to play there, I feel no responsibility to be a great player or anything.

Frankly, I don't think anyone but me notices a difference in my playing regardless if I'm drinking or not. I will say that I'm not a fan of listening to drunk people play any instrument.

If I study for a test when listening to music. Singing those songs in my head helps me recall information.

I always have a beer or two before a gig. Never get drunk, obviously - but I find one or two pots relaxes me a bit.
Rehearsal... depends. If it's a nice day or later on the day, yes.

I also like to have a beer about a 1/2 hour to an hour before the gig, to relax. As said already by others, too much drinking is no good. I do not like to drink while practicing anything serious. If I do, the practice time is just wasted.

I totally lose my timing and concentration even after a couple of beers, so I do not drink at all during gigs or rehearsals.

When I was much younger and played bass guitar, I showed up at a rehearsal after a few beers, and although I did not feel drunk, my playing was so sloppy, we could not continue. I felt really bad for wasting everyone's time and that was the last time I consumed alcohol in a playing situation.

Another reason I cannot drink during a gig is, I would have to rush to the bathroom every two songs!!!

Back