Recording............

TJones

I have an Alesis DM10 Studio set of electronic drums. What do I need in order to record into my computer? I understand I may need recording software, but other than that Im lost.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I think in addition to your computer with recording software, just some kind of USB-to-audio interface so you can take the output of your sound module and get it into the computer. On the cheap end, you won't be able to record more than two tracks at a time (like stereo), but that's normally how its done. You might want some good headphones so you can listen to what you're doing too.

Alright, so my next step should be to hunt down a USB AUDIO INTERFACE? New to electronic drum recording. Never heard of that. What does one cost (ballpark)? Also, I can only record 2 tracks at a time? Sorry for my ignorance, Ive never encountered these problems with acoustic drums, of course.

does your module have a MIDI output? thats what most modules use as output sources. and if it does have a MIDI output, you're gonna need a MIDI input on your computer.
i dont have any of these, but im nearly positive thats what you'd need

OK. Let's get down to specifics. What kind of computer are you running? What kind of recording software, if any, do you already have?

That would help me visualize what you want to do. I'm assuming you want to record your drums into the computer via USB. If we're talking MIDI, then you're only recording the data that represents what you played. These are two different things but I think all software recording programs nowadays can handle that. But we have to nail down what you already have so I can suggest what you might need.

OK. Let's get down to specifics. What kind of computer are you running? What kind of recording software, if any, do you already have?

That would help me visualize what you want to do. I'm assuming you want to record your drums into the computer via USB. If we're talking MIDI, then you're only recording the data that represents what you played. These are two different things but I think all software recording programs nowadays can handle that. But we have to nail down what you already have so I can suggest what you might need.

I have Cakewalk Pro Audio 9. Im hoping to use an Acer Aspire laptop that I have.

Ah! Then you need a USB audio interface. I use the Tascam US-1641, which can input 8 mics at once. It is USB 2.0, and I use it to input things into GarageBand on my Mac. Works great. It costs about $300 though.

If you just want to track your drums, or anything using 8-inputs at a time, that's all you would need with the software you have, provided your software can handle the interface, which you could check with Cakewalk, but I think you're good.

Get yourself 8 xlr cables and 8 mics, plug 'em in and go!

Back