The Best Drummer in the World

Seriously. I have never before heard anyone say "we're smarter than those 18th century intellectuals who basically created science, created the United States ..." I wouldn't stack a modern safe-spaces, check-your-privilege, social-justice humanities college grad up against even the lowest 18th-century rat catcher.

But I have to admit it doesn't really surprise me people believe this. If there's one thing that defines modern generations it's certainty about their own preciousness.
I think it was just a misplaced word. Replace "intelligent" with "knowledgeable" and he has a point. Modern day scientists, for example, have a much greater understanding of the universe and much more information available to them than Newton, Galileo, or DaVinci did, but their intellect would be hard to match in any era.

Because if everyone played like Thomas Lang does at session recordings it would be pretty boring :p

My point was that he is famous for his drumming but earns a living playing simple beats. Meaning.....all his chops are for nothing, or clinics, which is basicly showing off. So you could argue that If you want to be an in demand pro drummer you dont realy need all the fancy stuff people spend years in music colege learning. Just a thought.

I think it was just a misplaced word. Replace "intelligent" with "knowledgeable" and he has a point. Modern day scientists, for example, have a much greater understanding of the universe and much more information available to them than Newton, Galileo, or DaVinci did, but their intellect would be hard to match in any era.

Correct, poor choice of wording on my part.

That would depend how you define intellegence. If they were the intelectuals of there era that would mean they were in the very top bracket intellegence wise. Bring them forward to today and there brains would still place them in the top tier given the historical knowlege bank and learning facilities we now have. The cream would still rise to the top.

We are not cleverer now, we just have access to more material, the same goes for drumming. Original thought and invention, rather than book learning, now that is clever.

Yes, but the gov't prevents this from happening by putting Flouride in our water which calcifies the Pineal Gland and thusly closing the Third Eye. Our intelligence hasn't exactly flourished in this century. I have to train people at work and it is not exactly inspiring. Instead it is a painful process watching how they problem solve and seeing the same mistakes over and over. I'm not that smart really, it's just all about how you look at things.

Sorry for the derail. Please continue....

I know there's a million nerds out there always saying that this or that guy is the OMG b3s7 druxMMxer ev4r, but has anyone actually ever purported to be or laid claim to the title? Is there a kanye of drummers?

If not then I am the best drummer in the world. Fight me.

Yes, but the gov't prevents this from happening by putting Flouride in our water which calcifies the Pineal Gland and thusly closing the Third Eye. Our intelligence hasn't exactly flourished in this century. I have to train people at work and it is not exactly inspiring. Instead it is a painful process watching how they problem solve and seeing the same mistakes over and over. I'm not that smart really, it's just all about how you look at things.

Sorry for the derail. Please continue....

Ever seen the movie Idiocracy?

I played professionally for over 30 years, and I just pulled off my first real 3 stroke per hand buzz roll a couple days ago.
I am learning to play like a drummers drummer for myself now, and the cool drummer technical stuff was really not required, needed or welcome during all my years playing for thousands of audiences.

My point was that he is famous for his drumming but earns a living playing simple beats. Meaning.....all his chops are for nothing, or clinics, which is basicly showing off. So you could argue that If you want to be an in demand pro drummer you dont realy need all the fancy stuff people spend years in music colege learning. Just a thought.

I wouldn't say it was for nothing. All his chops are what help make his name known so he has a shot at those sessions in the first place. And those videos and clinics aren't just showing off, they are employment.

I wouldn't say it was for nothing. All his chops are what help make his name known so he has a shot at those sessions in the first place. And those videos and clinics aren't just showing off, they are employment.

Hey,I am not knocking it, If I could play like that I would, but a clinic is just showing off. Its look at all my chops. Just my opinion, but Thomas himself says he earns his money playing the simple beats.

The best drummer in the world is probably some kid in Peoria who no one ever heard of (and will likely never hear of unless he gets a one in a zillion lucky break).

Back