How to get a dent out of a head?

The best thing to do is to buy a Remo Dent Remover Tool. Otherwise known as a RDRT.
They can be found at a few very specialized shops, Ask around at a few, you will find it.

Exactly...

I believe it's part # ID10T. Good luck.

Or you could just buy a new head.

IDoes it affect the sound or durability?

If I could iron dents from my heads and still have it sound good, I don't care if the polymer makeup is altered.

The polymer makeup of your heads is what makes them sound the way they do. Using a blow drier to try and mend a head is essentially melting the head into what might look the same but certainly isn't. You might as well still have the dent. As I mentioned, the only real solution for dents in your heads is replacing them. I'd be saying this even if I didn't work for a company that makes drumheads.

I have been following this thread since the first day.
I knew the answer from the start.
I decided to sit back and just let it happen.

I have known for many years that once a head is dented and worn it has to be replaced.

We used to use similar methods to try and fix a dented ping pong ball when I was a kid.
It never really worked well.

Yes, when I was in drum corps we would use heat to take dents out of heads to help please the judges.
The head that was heated would break soon afterward if it wasn't replaced.
They make marching heads from Kevlar now for the high tension of marching drum heads,

Mylar can only be heated and formed into a film once while it is being manufactured.

I have also tried to take dents out of car bumpers with heat,
It never worked well. The bumper was left weak where it was dented.

Back