Speaker recommendations for e-kits

rotherdrummer

i've got a roland td9-kx2 for practicing at home and i have always used headphones. however, my son has recently taken a keen interest in playing on my kit which i obviously want to encourage, so i would like to purchase a speaker so we can both hear what is being played together without the need for headphones...

BUT, i also have a yamaha dtxplorer which i might consider setting up for him in the same room, so we can jam side-by-side when he's a bit older. so can anyone recommend a powered speaker which will take inputs from both E-kits? or will i need to purchase a mixing desk?

thanks

I have that Simmons also, and it's fine. But the OP is from England, and I think the DA series is only available from Guitar Center. Shipping costs would probably be prohibitive.

There's several dedicated drum amps to choose from. But a lot depends on your budget.
It might be less expensive to get a small mixer and an amp that has multiple inputs.

thanks for your input so far

i'm not that clued up on PA gear, but i was thinking about getting a small mixer with 2 channel inputs to take the dtx and the td9, and then purhcasing a decent small active speaker rather than bothering with an amp. thoughts/recommendations?

thanks again

I did a similar thing at home. I bought a small Behringer 8 channel mixer and a pair of Mackie TH-15a Thump powered speakers. Cost about $800 Canadian dollars. Don't forget you also need cables. The mackies can take a single line in directly. I get pretty good sound, although to really get the bass going I'd pick up a subwoofer somewhere down the line. I bought one speaker and the mixer for my e-drums, and added the second one later.

If you don't need to have speakers, I use a jamhub for band practices at my house now. Every one runs their instruments and mics directly into the jam hub, and you play listening to headphones. You have individual volume control over all the other instruments/musicians.
It's transformed jamming at home for my band. You could have one e-kit panned left, and one right in your headphones for playing together. They have a couple different models, depending on the number of inputs you need. http://www.jamhub.com/

Or finally you could pick up a keyboard amp, many of them have a couple input channels, but the sound quality can vary a lot, so I'd try them with drums plugged in to see if you like the sound.

The link above to the vdrums site the othe poster mentioned is excellent information.

Last edited:
Hi, I have a TD-12 with the Roland PM30 which is amazing, if not a bit pricy. a cost effective alternative is a db technologies cromo 10 which around £200 they only have a single input so a small mixer like the MIX02-1A 4-Channel Mini Mixer by Gear4music retail around £30.

The Cromo speakers are very loud and very clear. we use them as monitors for our band, and they really have some punch. hope this helps, from just around the corner in sheffield.
Dave.

dave - small world, i live in rotherham :)

i've been pondering over this for the past few days. read loads of stuff online, including the speaker/PA sticky guide on here, but nothing really answered my specific question about hooking up 2 e-kits in a small rehearsal space. anyway, i've narrowed it down to 2 options:-
- a cheap (ish) drum amp per kit i.e. the simmons or roland type
- a 2nd hand powered mixer with a passive PA speaker (shared by both kits)

at this moment in time, i'm going to opt for option 2 because it gives me more options with the mixing desk

Back