Need life advice about job offer from fellow drummers.

Yeah, just wait until all the 3rd world poor people start pouring into your country quicker than you can accommodate them. Look what's happening to Europe...can you say double-dip recession? What do you do with all these people? Do you know that California has a third of all the welfare cases in the entire USA? Los Angeles used to be a wonderful place to live. Now it's a 3rd World cesspool. Plus we get all the transplants from the East and Mid-west who bring their stupid politics with them.
Nothing new there. California's always been the destination of migrants seeking a fortune. And how far do your family go back there?

I'll tell you the same thing I tell everyone that's wants to get into the music business....learn a trade first.
Nowadays the future is too uncertain in music..even for what you would be doing.
What kind of parts store ? Could you find someone to apprentice under ?

And since the thread went a little off course I can comment...
I never understood the thinking with the US on healthcare.
The government spends billions on defense to protect its' citizens , yet , the government doesn't cover any health issues of its' people.
It just seems irresponsible and a bit counter productive.

Its an RV parts and service job. RVs arent an interest of mine. I do have good coworkers and a good boss. But my job is all data entry and customer service. Parts and service isnt something I want to make a career out of. So even though its a good job for me at 18 to have gotten I feel like in 5 years I will be completely burned out on it. But the money is good.

One thing about it to is that the 45 min drive each way makes my 9 hour shifts seem like 11 hour shifts. And put alot of miles on my car. But you also cant deny the benefits of health and dental and higher pay. Both positions have matched 401k and vacation and holidays.
Both are very successful progressive businesses.

For the pro audio job they go out of town to work in other towns 4 or 5 days a month. Always working in a new location would keep things interesting. And since Im interested in audio and the like it could open up possibility for the future instead of just parts and service stuff.

Not having a drive on my own time would be really nice. But there is also a chance of having to be out of town when I have a possible gig. But the boss I would have there says that he is flexible with making sure you are home when you need to be. But the boss I have now will also let me leave a little early once in a while if I need to make a practice or something.

So you can see where it is a confusing thing to chose. I have wanted a job at this music store for a long time though.

I really want to thank you guys for all the advice. I like this place. You guys rock

Last edited:
HaHa....always beware the boss that says you will be home on time !

Sounds like it could be a good job... the other job sounds pretty stable.
Tough call my friend ...but , it's your call to make.

I love RVs - let's switch jobs! LOL

But seriously I could see how it would get monotonous. Is there any opportunity to advance past the data entry customer service position? Do they do installations of RV parts or just sales? How about RV repairs on site? That is a big business here in NJ

Well I could maybe eventually do sales or something but its all pretty alike. The sales staff sells RVs I sell parts. I input information about parts they input information about RVs. And as far as being a technician it would be alright but im not really a grease monkey type.

Nothing new there. California's always been the destination of migrants seeking a fortune. And how far do your family go back there?

That's true. It all started with the Gold Rush in 1849 (48?). My dad came here in 1955 with his mom and dad as a Dutch immigrant. In retrospect, it was a poor decision on my grandfather's part. I think for 2 years in the 50's they were giving visas to skilled workers from the Netherlands. On my mom's side, I am 6th generation Californian. She's from the bay area.

BigBang - The government spends billions on defense to protect its' citizens , yet , the government doesn't cover any health issues of its' people.
It just seems irresponsible and a bit counter productive.

You know, that's an excellent point. I agree completely. What a wonderful contrast, eh?

Last edited:
Man, you should call BCBS. At 18, a private insurance policy could be pretty reasonable. And there are other companies to try.

I can't imagine living in a country where it's the government's responsibility to cover your health insurance. Although it's certainly moving in that direction here.....

It's not the government's responsibility. In the UK, we pay through taxes so that it's free at the point of delivery and so the ambulance crew don't check your insurance before they scrape you off the road. It also means that if you're too sick or too old to work, they don't just let you die.

If you want to pay and have whatever you want when you want it, you still can, but if you need and can't, it's there for you.

It would be work I would enjoy much more.

You said it right there.

...as long as the pay is viable for survival...

Nothing like coming home smiling and feeling like doing something else.

Back