...for the jazz cats ...

Some great stuff posted here over the past few days. That clip of Roy's grandson is amazing.

Speaking of Roy, I've come to the conclusion that this is a desert island disc. Just amazing music and Roy's playing is inspirational.

Roy-Haynes-Quartet-Out-of-the-Afternoon.jpg

oh my god!!!!!!

I just spun this last night......couldn't stop pulling the needle back on the opening track

I think we are connected at the brain waves

oh my god!!!!!!

I just spun this last night......couldn't stop pulling the needle back on the opening track

I think we are connected at the brain waves

Just saw this. Awesome, man. I know what you mean.

Thanks for this ditty. I subscribed to Blue Note records on the iPad. Its an App that costs 2 or 3 bucks a month. There was an Art Blakey tune on it the other day. He was really an amazing monster. Sometimes when I listen to him, I hear classic arena rock drum soloists. Dont go crazy on me but his power reminds me of Bonham. And he did this all in a Jazz arena. Art Blakey is one of my favorites.

Some great stuff posted here over the past few days. That clip of Roy's grandson is amazing.

Speaking of Roy, I've come to the conclusion that this is a desert island disc. Just amazing music and Roy's playing is inspirational.

Roy-Haynes-Quartet-Out-of-the-Afternoon.jpg

I love all these cats but this album is new to me.. Just got it, and a big thanks for the turn on 8Mile!!

cheers!

Say, speakin' of hard bop, here's some with an afro-cuban twist to it...

51VVx1laN8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Killer album and Herlin Riley plays like a man possessed.

...also, an album I owned many years ago that I need to get back....

51s6oGEysRL._SS400_.jpg

Recorded live at Birdland in '63, Wayne Shorter, Curtis Fuller and Cedar Walton round out the group.

Elvis

Question of great Guru's, I have heard the term Bop, Hard Bop and Bee Bop. What's the difference?

Thank you,

J

Question of great Guru's, I have heard the term Bop, Hard Bop and Bee Bop. What's the difference?

Thank you,

J

Bop is usually just short for Be bop

which is basically a style of music that guys like Bird, Diz, Bud Powell, and Monk started playing in NYC in the 1940s.
it is a style that came form the streets, and poverty, and raw emotion.

it has been said that they were trying to create something that the older players would not understand , and would not be able to follow the changes of, so they would not want to get on the band stand and blow.

as Jackie McLean tells it...these guys were basing what they were doing off of the playing of Lester Young , who played be bop style solos and phrases before the inception of be bop.
as did Louis Armstrong ...as much as he hated be bop he had a hand in creating it .

the drumming changed quite a bit as well as far as comping.
no longer was 4 on the floor from the swing era necessary and the bass drum would now comp thanks to guys like Kenny Clarke...... and a lot more of a triplet feel was introduced .
and the ride cymbal pattern started to break up quite a bit more than it had in the past

Hard Bop is something that followed be bop in the 1950s and early '60s

guys like Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers , the Coltrane Quartet, and Miles famous group with Tony Williams, Herbie Hancock,and Ron Carter .....were playing more modal stuff than the chord changes of early bebop and playing it a little harder and louder

One of my all-time favorites. Had it once on vinyl and twice on CD. Each time I lent a copy out, it never came back. That should tell you something!

-John

Bop is usually just short for Be bop

which is basically a style of music that guys like Bird, Diz, Bud Powell, and Monk started playing in NYC in the 1940s.
it is a style that came form the streets, and poverty, and raw emotion.

it has been said that they were trying to create something that the older players would not understand , and would not be able to follow the changes of, so they would not want to get on the band stand and blow.

as Jackie McLean tells it...these guys were basing what they were doing off of the playing of Lester Young , who played be bop style solos and phrases before the inception of be bop.
as did Louis Armstrong ...as much as he hated be bop he had a hand in creating it .

the drumming changed quite a bit as well as far as comping.
no longer was 4 on the floor from the swing era necessary and the bass drum would now comp thanks to guys like Kenny Clarke...... and a lot more of a triplet feel was introduced .
and the ride cymbal pattern started to break up quite a bit more than it had in the past

Hard Bop is something that followed be bop in the 1950s and early '60s

guys like Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers , the Coltrane Quartet, and Miles famous group with Tony Williams, Herbie Hancock,and Ron Carter .....were playing more modal stuff than the chord changes of early bebop and playing it a little harder and louder

Bebop is "a style that came from the streets, and poverty, and raw emotion"?

"No longer was the 4 on the floor tom" etc?

Hard bop is "more modal"?

Bebop is "a style that came from the streets, and poverty, and raw emotion"?

"No longer was the 4 on the floor tom" etc?

Hard bop is "more modal"?

asking questions J?

why would you mis quote me saying that I said hard bop is more modal?.....as if I said thats what hard bop is

....and did I ever mention a floor tom?

Last edited:
Back