Drummers Using 1 Crash

Mel Taylor was the drummer who pushed me over the edge to really go with one or two cymbals.
I saw Mel on a clip and he rocked the kit so much, and just that one cymbal. That was the point when I said it doesn't matter how much stuff I use.

Cindy Blackman with Lenny Kravitz only used 2 cymbals, and I really dug that set up a lot.
I finally got brave enough to actually do it!
Patrick Keeler runs only 2 cymbals with his Greenhornes band a lot too.

Cool pic of Nick Knox.

I'm a huge fan of few cymbals myself. Jean-Paul Gaster of Clutch just uses a 20" or a 21" crash, a 22" ride, and a crash ride. But with so few cymbals, his sound is SO big.

I use an 18" China (live main crash) a 20" ride, and an 18" crash.
When I'm in studio I ditch the China, and the 18" crash becomes my main crash, and I put an 18" crash / ride to my right side.

I used to think more cymbals, more sound. But in the last couple of years I've tried to experiment more in bringing out the different sounds of each cymbal.

I'm a huge fan of few cymbals myself. Jean-Paul Gaster of Clutch just uses a 20" or a 21" crash, a 22" ride, and a crash ride. But with so few cymbals, his sound is SO big.

That dude gets so much out of smaller setups. He also plays them really open, I think, no real felt washers or tightened wingnuts on top. The physical size of the guy makes you think he's just going to bash them, but he's actually got a nice wristy action

Michael Tapper, drummer for Yellow Ostrich, Bishop Allen, and formerly We Are Scientists, uses just a crash and ride, and on some songs even forgoes a hi-hat, replacing it with some kind of improvised Shekere-like instrument. In most of Yellow Ostrich's first album, he doesn't even use a bass drum, as seen here.

6273827720_54f8b4eb84_z.jpg

dude must have long arms no?
i like all those minimal looking kits.

I just don't get that set up.That guy is just begging for back problems somewhere down the line.

Steve B

From a MD interview (http://www.moderndrummer.com/site/2011/09/john-stanier-of-battles/#.UDvJlqDWDAk):

MD: What’s with the super-high crash?

John: I didn’t want any cymbals but the hi-hats at first. Then I was like, “Okay, I’ll use one,” but I didn’t want it near me because I’d use it too much. So I set it high so I’d have to work to get to it. I wanted it to be significant; I use it as a marker. It’s like a master reset button when I go to the cymbal. Plus, it looks cool.

He reminds me of Shooter McGavin.

Back