Emporer snare side

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
I can't believe I've never heard of these until recently. Anyone try/use one?
5 mils instead of 3 right? (Please tell me they aren't 2 ply lol)
I definitely have to try them.

But wouldn't the note be longer?

But wouldn't the note be longer?

I suppose...if you tuned it fairly loose. I crank my snare-side head very high, so the net effect would be less sensitivity from the snare wires. This is why using a plain Clear Ambassador on the snare-side is not recommended...as I understand it.

Many years ago I put a Remo Diplomat Tom head on the bottom of a 5x14 chrome snare.
I needed a snare bottom head and thats the closest thing that I had at home.
It was interesting. It had a mellow sound.
It wasn't bad sounding or anything like that.
I played the snare drum for a few weeks like that until I bought a snare side head.

I'm going back about 30 years so my memory may be tainted.

Many years ago I put a Remo Diplomat Tom head on the bottom of a 5x14 chrome snare.
I needed a snare bottom head and thats the closest thing that I had at home.
It was interesting. It had a mellow sound.
It wasn't bad sounding or anything like that.
I played the snare drum for a few weeks like that until I bought a snare side head.

I'm going back about 30 years so my memory may be tainted.

I was 2 years old at the time, so my memory of the period is a little tainted, too. ;)

I tried one by accident. I had it on the drum for about a year before I realized it was an Emperor instead of the usual Ambassador snare head. It seemed fine. I had it cranked up there pretty good. I will get another. I actually prefer the Emp now that I have an Ambassador on it now.

I've tried the Diplomat, Ambassador, and Emperor. The only one I really didn't care for was the Diplomat - I just had a hard time getting as full a sound as I wanted. I prefer the Ambassador, but the Emperor wasn't too bad. I don't know if I'd say the note was longer, but it was kind of thicker or boxier somehow. Also slightly less sensitive.

Give it a try, you never know! Depending on what sound you like and how you tune, it may really float your boat. In any case, I don't think you'll hate it.

Back