Equal pitch tuning on rack toms feels good!

PeteN

Silver Member
Lately...I could not decide if I liked a higher pitch or lower pitch on the reso head, something just never seemed just right so I decided to try tuning both heads to same pitch and that seems to be making the feel of the batter head much more enjoyable and dynamically controllable when striking it.

Anyone else ever notice this?

Thanks

Yes! basically, it's the only way I tune my toms these days. It sounds best to me. Both heads are working together when they're tuned the same.

You just can't beat same heads(batter and reso), same pitch (batter and reso) on a drum IMHO. Makes it musical

10 sounds good. 12 is too low. Go for "HERE COMES the bride" interval(4ths). When you sing the note of your 12 (here) and then the note of the 10 (comes). The 12 sounds flat... and since the drum doesn't sound as good (is not singing as well), raise it up a note or two(batter and reso).

http://www.tunadrum.com/drum-set-tuning-intervals

On my ddrum maple kit equal pitch tuning on the high toms sounds great but on my other three kits not so good.
I never even thought of tuning my thin shell Saturn equal. What a waste of a great drum.

Last edited:
Hey Bob, may I ask how you like to tune the Saturns? How much tighter on the bottom? Seems like the pitch bend can be very profound on them (in my experience).

Hey Bob, may I ask how you like to tune the Saturns? How much tighter on the bottom? Seems like the pitch bend can be very profound on them (in my experience).
I crank the 12 inch rack reso up 1/4 turn tighter than the batter.
The 14 inch floor is only about 1/8 turn tighter.
I am using the stock Amb reso's and G1 coated batters.
These drums sang their hearts out tonight at practice. The bass player couldn't make it due to illness and I was on my toms all night supplementing at key parts in the tunes.
I couldn't believe the notes that I found for these toms to play.
I love these drums more and more every time I play them.

Updated Tuning...I adjusted the tuning on my 12" rack tom, please let me know what you think. It's always good to get opinions from you guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGE4Vzv21cc

Thanks Again

Much improved on the 12". Sounds musical know, not the slightly sour as before. Sounds about a 4th interval to me. Well done. Probably they are maybe as low as you want to go, so now it's just a matter of raising them both equally up, should you choose or to taste

IMO, go higher. 10"E and 12"B for instance, or 10"D and 12"A.

Yeah...I was trying to go as low as I thought I could just for starters I do prefer them a little higher as well.

Much improved on the 12". Sounds musical know, not the slightly sour as before. Sounds about a 4th interval to me. Well done. Probably they are maybe as low as you want to go, so now it's just a matter of raising them both equally up, should you choose or to taste
Thanks Birdman...I had them tuned nicely last week and then I had to go experiment again lol because I'm obsessed now with tuning. But now I am trying to get good at getting both heads to same pitch and it can be deceiving initially.

I uploaded another updated vid with them tuned even a little higher again. Are you able to tell by listening if they sound like batters and resos are close to pitch matched?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-e1vWlugl8

I also found another guy doing a sound check version of his Saturns on youtube and his toms sound way different than mine. I'm confused when I listen to his saturn toms because if his toms are tuned really well then I don't think I really care for his specific sound but then again hard to tell unless I played them in as a whole kit. I think I'd like his sound more but they just go dead so quick maybe it's just his room?

here's the other guys Saturn Vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHwb8VCShk4&list=UUvsLkmV9E0va4uU6CAsIL-Q&index=2&feature=plcp

Anyway...thanks for all your thoughts and opinions

Well since I chimed in initially it's only fair that I tell you that 12 sounds much better. If that is my kit I am happy with that sound. Would like to hear the floor in progression, but good job on the re-tune.

Well since I chimed in initially it's only fair that I tell you that 12 sounds much better. If that is my kit I am happy with that sound. Would like to hear the floor in progression, but good job on the re-tune.

Thanks gruntersdad...without input from you guys I'd be ignorant with this stuff lol. Right now I have gretsch new classics setup, sometime next week I'll setup the saturns with the floor toms and take a new vid.

How many drum key turns from finger tight in the last vid?

Scarlit...I'm sorry I have no clue on turns. In the past whenever I tried to tune by counting turns I just wanted to take a sledge hammer to my drums. I know it works for some but unfortunately never for me lol

I agree, so many variables(when you truly even out at the lugs) counting turns can be folly.
The newer tuning will have more cut in live music and have more presence, and you kept the interval between them. Nicely done. Yep, heads are even w/ each other (or darn close) as I hear a smooth sustain and no pitch bend.

Do you use a chromatic tuner w/a built in mic? I do, and swear by them for tuning. I tweak and get the same note at each lug, never testing the center until done. It's amazing how fast you can even out a bass drum, if you use a mallet on the edges. Just tune each lug to your desired note (you find that thru experimentation), bam, you are done.

The other guys youtube sounds good too because he has more spread(good intervals) w/ hitting his floor tom in the mix as well. On could argue his 10" is verging on chocking a bit, though.

I agree, so many variables(when you truly even out at the lugs) counting turns can be folly.
The newer tuning will have more cut in live music and have more presence, and you kept the interval between them. Nicely done. Yep, heads are even w/ each other (or darn close) as I hear a smooth sustain and no pitch bend.

Do you use a chromatic tuner w/a built in mic? I do, and swear by them for tuning. I tweak and get the same note at each lug, never testing the center until done. It's amazing how fast you can even out a bass drum, if you use a mallet on the edges. Just tune each lug to your desired note (you find that thru experimentation), bam, you are done.

The other guys youtube sounds good too because he has more spread(good intervals) w/ hitting his floor tom in the mix as well. On could argue his 10" is verging on chocking a bit, though.

Birdman...I never used a chromatic tuner, not sure how that works? I simply recorded with the zoom q3. Can you explain how that works?
Thanks

Back