What are the most durable drumsticks you know of?

I'm from new Brunswick Canada, home of Sabian and Los cabis sticks. Started using their red hickory sticks. Their denser and harder makin them sound like a stick size up bit the same weight. Their also right cheap here. Don't know about elsewhere. Ther 8.99 a set vs Vic firth and zildjian which are at like 12.99 r 13.99. I get about a month out of them before some tip splitting starts. THAT'S think other brands offer red hickory sticks. Try em out

I've used all the big boys (apart from Vater)

Used various Vic Firth Models (all broke VERY quickly, issue I have with Vic Firth), a while back I was using Zildjian Taylor Hawkins models. Had two pairs, one pair lasted 6 months, other pair I have for back-up. Still my favourite stick, but I've been experimenting. Pro-Mark shipped me out sticks after a complaint that the sticks were very weak. And all pairs lasted me 4-5 months. Impressed. At the moment, I'm using 747B's. Like the extra-length and they feel amazing and nice. However, caught one of the sticks in a door the other day and totally crushed the stick in half. So I have one and a half pairs now. Pretty sad.

But, so far. My most durable sticks were Teddy Campbells or Benny Grebs, if not... Zildjian Taylor Hawkins sticks. Might try Grohl sticks now, they're my size AND length. :)

I tend to prefer Vater hickory, and right now my favorite is their Xtreme 5A. Man how I love that stick. I like how it is a little larger, as well as a half inch longer. I have been using the same pair about a month, and I hit pretty hard (not as hard as some of you guys, but still pretty hard). I use the nylon tips, and they are extremely durable. I can see where one of the tips is cracked, but it has not even started to come off yet. Combine these sticks with some sweat-wicking TournaGrip and you have an absolutely DYNAMITE combo!!!

I'm from new Brunswick Canada, home of Sabian and Los cabis sticks. Started using their red hickory sticks. Their denser and harder makin them sound like a stick size up bit the same weight. Their also right cheap here. Don't know about elsewhere. Ther 8.99 a set vs Vic firth and zildjian which are at like 12.99 r 13.99. I get about a month out of them before some tip splitting starts. THAT'S think other brands offer red hickory sticks. Try em out

Since your from new Brunswick just thought I would let you know you can get your Vic Firths at Long and McQuade for $10 and the nylon tips are guaranteed.

I have played on and off for 30 years, as an orchestral percussionist. I have never broken a stick from playing. It is quite possible to have a stick with an imperfection that can break due to long term stress and vibration, but today that is rare with good sticks. everyone that I know or have watched that continually break sticks is for the following reasons:

1 Playing too hard with the wrong weight of stick. The whole purpose of heavier sticks is to allow the stick weight to do the work, not you. With properly miked drums, there should never be a reason to abuse (yes, abuse) your equipment to the point of breakage.

2 Wrong tip/shoulder design for style of play.

3 Wrong stick material for style of play.

I have never broken a stick, but have replaced dented sticks (from rimshots, etc.) as needed before they broke. although a certain stick may "feel good" in your hands during light play or practice, it may not be the best stick for you during all out play. That is why percussionists have a whole case of various sticks and mallets. one might change sticks several times during a piece of music.

Vic Firth, Thats the type I use and there working great for me. Not broken yet after a year of playing.

Thats odd. I know a lot of people that have had Vics break very consistently for them quite quickly. These people are playing Rock/Hard Rock/Metal though

There's a Swedish company called Wincent, these are the densest sticks I ever played.
I didn't like the way they felt (also I was very scared for the well being of my cymbals) but if its durability you seek, I don't think it gets any more solid than these.

The new vic firth titans are coming out in April. They are carbon fiber sticks but they are apparently much better than the other (lower end) carbon fiber sticks on the market. The titans got a great response at NAMM this year so I definetely will be checking them out! The retail value is $99.99 so expect them to be no more than that.

I play metal core, andI have used Goodwood by Vater, which dont last long. I have gone though 3 pairs in the last month. I had a pair of pro mark shirikashi oak, which are great. Great tone and grip, and they barely even chipped. The reason i stopped using them was because the tips chipped. I suggest those with nylon tips.

Promark oak would be my pick.

Check out Danny Careys signature sticks from Vic Firth, they're insanely big. 16½"x.695", should last a while... Otherwise, Oak sticks would be the way to go.

I personally get 1-2 months out of a pair of Vic 5a. I'm currently trying out Vic 55a, slightly thicker, so I should be getting a little more from them.

In regard to the materials, here's a short compilation (most durable on the top) :

Carbon - Vic Firth Titan
Aluminum - Ahead
Laminated Birch - Zildjian
Oak - Pro-Mark
Red Hickory - Los Cabos
White Hickory - Vater, Pro-Mark, Vic Firth (in this order!...)
Sugar Maple (any brand)

I can agree on the Zildjian "Heavy Jazz" laminated birch sticks. They have a great weight, wear well and feel great in my hands.

Dennis

All Vic Firth sticks seem very durable for me.

5B's and thicker rarely break at all.

I agree, plus I found I dont hit nearly as hard since changing to single ply heads, they seem to respond easier and I dont need to, for lack of a better word, "coax" the sound/tone out of them the way I had to when using 2 ply.

Back