Video of my new kit - new setup - does this look right?

Roughrider

My cymbals finally showed. Its been like 20-21 years since I've set up and sat on the throne...

Does this look right?

My new kit

Thanks for your critiques everyone!

it looks rigth. I'd place the ride closer to me , but that's just my style. if you are confortable with your set up, it's ok.

Looks good to me.

I'm just getting back into drumming again, and I've got everything set up pretty comfortably, but over the last couple months I'm finding that I am continually making micro-adjustments to my equipment positions. This seems to be occuring as I feel more comfortable and I'm able to move around the kit more fluidly. Move this cymbal over an inch this way. Move this tom down a bit, etc. Just the stool an inch one way or the other can change the whole feel.

A couple of times I've completely changed the entire layout based on other kits I see just to see how it feels.

My daughter can't figure out why it's not still in the exact same position as when I first set it up. She'll come downstairs "you changed it AGAIN, Dad?!?" She wants to adjust her playing to fit the kit. I say adjust the kit to fit your playing.

Good luck

but over the last couple months I'm finding that I am continually making micro-adjustments to my equipment positions.

Perfectly normal, for mine.

My kit hasn't so much changed, but slowly evolved....one micro adjustment at a time, over the years.

To correct the problem that you have with your knee being close to the snare drum you can move the bass around. It doesn't have to be completely straight. It can have an angle to it. You just have to be comfortable with they way your drums are set up. There really isn't a wrong way to do it. It's nice to see that you don't have the crazy tom angles that some people have when they first start playing. If you don't know what i mean just search for the tom angles thread.

She wants to adjust her playing to fit the kit. I say adjust the kit to fit your playing.

Would you mind if I used this as my sig, lots of truth to it.

As long as your comfortable that's all that matters. You'll probably move things around a thousand times before you really find a "sweet spot" with everything. One thing i might suggest though...get some better heads( Evans, Remo, etc...). You'll notice a big difference in the way your drums will sound by takeing the stock heads off. Oh! And welcome back to the world of drums! Later!

I have Remo Emperors on the whole kit (I love the way they sound.) The Sound Percussions on the heads are just neoprene sound killers is all.

Looks pretty straight foward.I'm sure you'll make small adjustments along the way,just as long as your comfortable.Good luck with the new drum set.You might be a little rusty at first but you'll be amazed how fast you will get back into it.

Steve B

Back