Nasheet Waits

brittc89

Pioneer Member
Son of the brilliant Freddie Waits, a member of Jason Moran's Bandwagon for goin on ten years. Was a member of Andrew Hill's groups in the late 90s into the early millennium. Some of my favorite Nasheet is with Fred Hersch's trio. If you are looking for an incredible example of multi-directional and melodic time playng and you havent checked out Bemsha Swing from Live at the Vanguard, do yourself a favor and buy the record.

with Jason Moran-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZINuJcSeCk&feature=related

With Andrew Hill-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv9ZY7JoitY

Nasheet is a genius musician and one of the all time greats in my opinion...I've been lucky to catch him live a few times....

He is the drummer on young pianist John Escreet's album "Don't Fight the Inevitable," which came out last week. Nasheet is in fine form creating a tidal time flow that stirs the music while always maintaining great sensitivity to dynamics and the directions taken by each soloist. Great performance from a great musician.

NPR has a first listen up of Jason Moran's new album, "Ten," coming out on July 14, and I must say that Nasheet Waits sounds absolutely phenomenal on it. I'm especially digging his brush work. He creates such a phenomenal "sonic landscape," if you will. He doesn't just use the drums to augment the other instruments; instead, Nasheet generates an array of sounds integral to the compositions, and the compositions would entirely suffer or even fall flat without his contributions. His stuff is pretty remarkable.

I like how articulate this discussion of Nasheet has been. He is such a genius at creating sonic atmospheres, but simultaneously find his place is such a huge pocket. He is remarkably creative, you never know what hes gonna do next, but you always know when its Nasheet. Its a great thing.

"Ten" is really very good. My friend also caught Nasheet at the Vanguard with Kurt Rosenwinkel's new band without having any prior experience with his (Nasheet's) music. Needless to say he was an instant convert. By his account, the music this group creative was nothing short of astonishing. It would be a major loss if this group isn't recorded in some way.

Back