Fantastic find! Custom Classic Kit Review

alexbassguy

Hey,

I'm a bit new around here. I've certainly followed the forum and learned a lot from it - a lot of awesome minds on here. But I thought I'd chip in with a review of a kit that I just picked up online that is a puzzlingly amazing piece of work.

Custom Classic Pro Birch Hybrid 6-Piece Kit

It's from a virtually non-existant company out of Arkansas called Custom Classic. They're sold - and branded - exclusively through a small music store in Fort Smith called Sigler Music. As near as I can tell, a chief staff member at Sigler Music named Chris Ward decided to start a line of drums that were made by a Chinese drum manufacturing company that makes many of the name-brand "intermediate pro" kits (Gretsch Catalinas, D-Drum Dominions and AMX, etc.). Chris started Custom Classic, engineered the sizes and build, and purchased kits wholesale straight from the factory.

The mentality is simple but smart - with names like Gretsch or Pearl, you're not just paying for the drums, you're paying for catalogs, NAMM booths, stickers, endorsemets, marketing, offices, etc. Custom Classic really doesn't have any of these costs, so the kits are ABSURDLY cheap - I got away with one for a startling low $424.99 out the door, free shipping. Sounds sketch, right? I know. But wait, let's look at the drums before making any judgements.

Custom Classic currently makes 3 kits - the Pro Birch Hybrid 6 ($499.99), the Bro Birch Jazz ($469.99), and the Pro Maple 6 ($599.99). All can only be ordered directly through Sigler. All three are made of 7-ply birch and maple (as the names imply), include a hardware pack and are available in a variety of lacquer finishes. The Hybrid 6 comes in a 6-piece with suprisingly shallow toms and a deeper snare (10x6, 12x7, 14x12, 16x14, 14x6, 22x18). The Jazz kits are the same sizes as the Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz series, and the Maples are the same as Catalina Maples. Now, for the price, you'd expect to get some confusing, awful basswood-birch-poplar-who-knows shells with thru-shell L-arm mounts and a blue wrap. But the photos of the Pro Birch Hybrid 6 showed some fantastic features - 6-piece kits with solid birch shells, isolation mounts on the toms, 45 degree bearing edges, gorgeous high-gloss natural finish, virgin kick drum, custom sizes. Not only that, but the hardware packs boast a dual-cam driven hi-hat stand with adjustable tension and a full footboard, a dual-chain-drive kick pedal with quick release, and beefy boom, straight and snare stands. So, I figured - for the price and the (supposed) features, what do I have to lose?

When they arrived, I opened the boxes no really knowing what to expect. I was afraid of finding low-quality crap, but I was wrong. These drums are gorgeous. The finish is a flawless clear lacquer over gorgeous birch. I checked every single bearing edge - no imperfections whatsoever, even on the kick. There was some assembling to be done, but nothing too difficult. The isolation mounts are Gretsch-style, and every bit as functional and durable. The kit has cross-shell lugs (think Tama Rockstar), which you'd think would dampen the shell too much, but it actually has fewer screws going through the shell with standard lugs. They actually tuned easier and agreed more with my DrumDial than a Pearl Masters Maple. Even the heads that came stock were nice, 2-ply generic clears (single coated on the snare) that tuned up well and sounded just fine. The snare strainer was a bit shakey, but nothing tragic.

Now, I work in a Guitar Center - no, it's not your LDS, but there's still some high-end kits in there, so I know what good drums in tune sound like, what features they have, etc. But these Custom Classics sound every bit as good as any kit we have in the shop (and that includes a few DW Collectors, a Starclassic Birch/Bubinga, Yamaha MCAs...). The toms sing, the kick punches, and the snare cracks. I was blown away once I got these guys tuned up - they really do sound phenomenal. These drums could easily be sold in the $1000 - $1500 range, higher if they offered more finishes and a few more sizes/configurations. The hardware is nicer than the photos show, somehow - the kick pedal is fast and responsive, has a fully adjustable cam, and is as durable as any $200 pedal. The hi-hat stand is smooth as butter and fast as lightning, and the tension adjust system is handy and works well. The stands are beefy and fare against mid-level Pearl and Tama (beware the memory locks - mine like to stay permanently tightened, even when the screw is removed). But overall, this kit is simply mind-blowing. The sound, the build, it's all truly pro-quality - for the price of an entry-level piece of junk. The only thing to do now is sand and seal the insides, and it'll be every bit as good as any top-shelf kit out there. (and please note - the video on the Sigler page doesn't even begin to do this kit justice.)

Feelings about outsourcing and economics aside, I have to give props to the folks who make these drums. Even though Custom Classic are from China, they are fantastic, well-made kits that hold their own in every respect to the competition. I also point to Dream Cymbals, another Chinese manufacturer selling top-of-the-line, hand-hammered bronze at ZBT prices. It's a crazy world these days. Even ten years ago, unless you had bank, you got low-quality gear that was extremely limited in its possibility. Nowadays, you can buy extremely "high-end" stuff like interfaces, mics (recording cats - check out Sigler's Studio Mic page for some other awesome finds!), preamps, controllers, guitars and basses, etc. for extremely cheap, all thanks to - you said it - inexpensive Chinese manufacturing. Well I say, hey - it's got the features, why not try it? Worst that can happen is having to send it back.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask or pm me. I have a feeling I'm going to be hanging around a lot here...

Last edited:
I know, i know, it does sound like spam. It's not, I promise I'm a real person. The tom mounts are definitely not screwed to the toms in any fashion - standard Gretsch-style suspension mounts. There is a hollow space in the rubber spacer piece that does look like a screw goes into it (i was worried about that too, actually) but it doesn't. Photos/videos will be up soon, I don't own a camera but a good friend has a very high-end Canon, so we'll be snapping some pics of them soon.

He replied! It can't be spam now! I think? Well once you oget pictures up I'll be glad to really look into it.

Hahaha, again, I promise I'm real. myspace.com/experimentinsounds is some old solo stuff I've done, and myspace.com/mountremington is a group I'm working with currently. I know my post sounds like spam, but the kit is just so good, I had to jump on here and review it. Also, there's not a single decent review of the kit anywhere online, at least that I found, so I figured I should write one. Like I said, i'll be getting pics and video up within the next week.

hehe, i found those custom classics the other day, looked sick, how are the hybrid tom sizes, would they sound good for metal stuff? Also, should i sell my pearl exxxport (lol) and buy custom classics? one more thing i cant find the CC maples on sigler's website, any links?

The hybrid toms are uber-responsive and resonant, so yes, they'd make amazing metal drums. Pinstripes or EC2s tuned low would make them punch like Chuck Norris. I'm playing mostly indie rock and jazz (the 16x14 floor tom makes a great bop kick, and you've got 3 toms to work with still) and still have the stock heads on them, which are surprisingly nice. I want to put some Fiberskyns on them for a fat vintage sound. Yes, sell your Export and get these - they will not let you down. Custom Classic also has a double kick pedal for $100 - check this thing out! Double Pedal. This is just a double version of the pedal that comes with the kit, which is almost identical to a Pearl Eliminator. Dual-chain drive on both feet, full footboards, quick releases, and 4-sided beaters with adjustable cams. The CC Maples are here: CC Pro Maple I'd ask them what finishes they have before ordering, there's only this one link and they seem to have different pages for each color with the birch kits.

Sorry, but you do sound like a pitchman. Lets tell it like it is, a generic kit at a good price that when set up correctly is going to sound average. Don't try telling us that these sound just as good as DW Customs or Starclassics. Because either a) you are trying to sell these drums to people who don't know better or b) you don't have your DW or Tama kits set up correctly. People on this forum are too smart to get dupped.

It's similar to the Vex pedal, the but vex is single-chain drive whereas the CC is dual. The 7-piece kits are very much different than the Hybrids, those do have thru-shell mounts as well as cheap wrap finishes, not nearly as nice as the Hybirds (not quite sure why they're all similar prices... same shells?). And Wayne, I definitely have the DWs and other kits set up and tuned properly - I kinda do that for a living. These sound just as good if not better, straight up. You guys can think whatever you want about me - these are amazing kits, and I know that. No, I don't work for Sigler, or have any personal stake in people buying them. If you all don't want to believe me and accuse me of being a spammer before I even have a chance to get up any pics, then fine. I'll sit on my gorgeous kit while you all keep spending more money than you need to. To be honest I'm a little offended - someone posts a really positive review of a new product and is instantly called a spammer and accused of trying to "dupe people" into buying it. No one on here knows anything about me, my experience, or what I do. But go ahead and pay a thousand bucks next time you upgrade - more Custom Classics for me!

I will chime in to say I have been contemplating the Classic Birch jazz kit instead of a Gretsch Catalina Jazz. I am encouraged by your post and want to see close up pics and a you tube or sound clip if you are able.
thanks
Tracer

Its exactly like the Vex. I own one and it is a double chain. Photo upon request and here is the ad from their website. Are you sure you don't work for them??

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-12-19 at 4.16.34 PM.png
    Screen shot 2009-12-19 at 4.16.34 PM.png
    178.5 KB · Views: 10,319
I'm glad SOMEONE listened and is contemplating one of these. And Gruntersdad, not sure how to explain this to you any further, definitely don't work for them. I work for a large music store, and we don't carry the CCs. Not sure what other proof you need besides the fact that I live about a thousand miles from the only music store in the world that carries them. Per your photo, yes, it is that one - the pic I found on the Vex site was small and looked like a single. Sorry, it probably is the same pedal. I play on a variety of high-end pedals all day long, and the CC feels the best of any I've put my foot on.

At first glance they look like a run of the mill PDP kit.

Dennis

I'm glad SOMEONE listened and is contemplating one of these. And Gruntersdad, not sure how to explain this to you any further, definitely don't work for them. I work for a large music store, and we don't carry the CCs. Not sure what other proof you need besides the fact that I live about a thousand miles from the only music store in the world that carries them. Per your photo, yes, it is that one - the pic I found on the Vex site was small and looked like a single. Sorry, it probably is the same pedal. I play on a variety of high-end pedals all day long, and the CC feels the best of any I've put my foot on.

Uh, my friend has that vex pedal and its nice, but definately not pro. If youve played pearl eliminators, tama iron cobras, gibraltar avengers etc. you would see that te vex's are no match.

However those drums do sound and look nice, I must admit i am a bit skeptical.

any pictures and or sound files?

My impression is that they're decent drums for beginers so why not? But I don't believe you when you say that you have no association with the people who manufacture them, this Siglar company, or why would you mention their microphones?

Does Siglar make Dream cymbals? You also mentioned those.

so im definitley gonna get some CC's but one question, I play metal so should i buy

A) 7 piece pro birch
B) 6 piece pro birch hybrid
C) 6 piece pro maple

Please just let me know what is gonna sound better for slipknot/nile/cannibal corpse kinda stuff, this is only gonna be my second kit so i dont know a ton about it.
PS i think that alexbassguy is a real person, and sigler doesnt make dream cymbals. I will be 100% sure if alexbassguy posts pictures of him with kit and possibly a video

I would avoid the 7 piece due to the tom mount system. Just from the pictures I have seen. I have no hands on.

Decent looking low cost kits. bob da (cheapskate) druma like. The jazz kit caught my eye.
I also like the shallow toms on the hybrid kit. The mount sys, stands, and pedal also looked adequate.
I don't think that you could go to wrong on that deal. Buying a close out sale on a pop brand kit would do you better in the long term. Resale value will be the only downside of the C C..

I currently play a Tama StageStar. Another inexpensive kit that became legend with jazzers
as a beater gig kit that had quality hardware and sounded good.

Looks good from my hood!

Back