Evans G Plus, a superior resonant head

There has to be a reason that a medium-weight single ply has become a defacto standard as a resonant head.

I'd say it's because up until recently, a thicker single ply head wasn't available. Two ply reso heads aren't used much, but they really should sustain longer than a thinner head. I know I'm a convert to the G Pluses, and if the EC1's sustain longer than the G Pluses, then I'm using them (After peeling off the overtone rings of course)

Pay no attention to what the head manufacturers say. Pay attention to what Sir Isaac Newton said.

Or, pay attention to what this guy (Gatzen) who designs heads for Evans says : here. That clip gives you more than words, you can hear them for yourself.

Meanwhile, 2-plies are a different animal--the two plies have friction between them and thus sustain a shorter time than the equivalent thickness 1-ply. The two are not directly comparable. In fact, it used to be an old drummer's trick to use a 2-ply as a reso on floor toms that sustain too much.

Pay no attention to what the head manufacturers say. Pay attention to what Sir Isaac Newton said.

Or, pay attention to what this guy (Gatzen) who designs heads for Evans says : here. That clip gives you more than words, you can hear them for yourself.

Meanwhile, 2-plies are a different animal--the two plies have friction between them and thus sustain a shorter time than the equivalent thickness 1-ply. The two are not directly comparable. In fact, it used to be an old drummer's trick to use a 2-ply as a reso on floor toms that sustain too much.

Wow, the EC reso is noticeably fatter and more resonant. Thanks for posting that.

I'm tempted to try G-plus over G-plus now...I've been thinking about trying these heads out for a while now.

Last year I purchased a set of Evans clear G Plus for use as batters. As you may or may not know, the G Pluses are a 12 mil film, where clear Ambassadors and G1's are a 10 mil film. So I changed to G Pluses on the batters over G1's and I took them to one gig. The G Pluses lacked the attack I like...When I hit my toms with the G Pluses, instead of hearing "Dooom", I heard "Oooom" So off they came.
So today, ever the tweaker, I decide that I want to try the G Pluses as reso heads. I've gathered here that a thicker head will vibrate longer and have a warmer sound than a thinner head.
That's exactly what the result was. My toms note sang noticeably longer, with definite added warmth. I like an open and lively completely unmuffled tom sound with a crisp stick attack. My toms with the G Pluses over the G1's are noticeably better sounding than the same tom with the G1's over the G1's. It kept the attack of the 10 mil film, but sang longer and warmer. I was very pleased with the improvement and the first thing I had to do was to say it here...G Plus Clears make superior sounding reso heads! I'd recommend giving them a try.

Well done it is a fact that that works- some may have noted that I use G2s on my reso and aquarian perf 2s on my batter.........just for that reason!
It does depend on your tuning range and I find for very low to mid tuning this works well- after that it goes dead in a big way!
But in the main it suits rock and blues pretty well- have a listen to the blues tracks from my signature- ALL of the blues where recorded live with that combination.

Yeah, that's the same clip I linked back in post 16 which is why it's confusing. Evans links to this from their website and my ears tell me it contradicts what they have for head descriptions. Maybe Mr. Gatzen could help a bit with the website design. I like the idea behind the website, but if the info is innacurate what's the point?

I agree Zambizzi, the EC Reso sounds great. And I finally figured out why the Tom I had on my practice kit at my bands place had very little sustain. I had slapped a Genera Reso on it and forgot about it.

Some Bob Gatzen videos! Excellent!

In one clip he said replace the reso's every 4 times or so you change the batters. -This is what I was wondering! Thanks anyway Zambizzi

The polyester film dries out? These things I didn't know, I might have to purchase his dvd.

And this long bit from the Drum Tuning Bible::

The most resonance is heard by placing a head of identical specifications on both the batter and resonant side because polymers of equal thickness vibrate reasonably equal to each other when the tension is equal. It is a common misconception that if you have a heavily muffled head on the batter side and place a thinner head on the resonant side, that the resulting sound will be more warm, or bass heavy and more resonant. Actually, the thinner resonant head makes the high frequency tone, that most seek to eliminate come back out of the drum and the bass frequency produced lasts for less of a duration (a good combination for those who like the single ply sound but hit really hard). On the contrary, thicker heads, such as coated heads or thin two ply heads have more mass, and mass once set in motion is harder to stop than a thin head with less mass. For this reason, the thicker resonant head is actually more resonant in the lower frequencies whereas the thinner heads produce the more hollow or upper midrange resonance for less of a duration. High carbon content is required to make the ebony heads. This too adds mass while making the head just a hair more brittle. The resulting sound is a little more focused and slightly void of higher pitched overtones. Pure white, rather than coated white, goes the same direction as ebony heads.

And this long bit from the Drum Tuning Bible::

The most resonance is heard by placing a head of identical specifications on both the batter and resonant side because polymers of equal thickness vibrate reasonably equal to each other when the tension is equal. It is a common misconception that if you have a heavily muffled head on the batter side and place a thinner head on the resonant side, that the resulting sound will be more warm, or bass heavy and more resonant. Actually, the thinner resonant head makes the high frequency tone, that most seek to eliminate come back out of the drum and the bass frequency produced lasts for less of a duration (a good combination for those who like the single ply sound but hit really hard). On the contrary, thicker heads, such as coated heads or thin two ply heads have more mass, and mass once set in motion is harder to stop than a thin head with less mass. For this reason, the thicker resonant head is actually more resonant in the lower frequencies whereas the thinner heads produce the more hollow or upper midrange resonance for less of a duration. High carbon content is required to make the ebony heads. This too adds mass while making the head just a hair more brittle. The resulting sound is a little more focused and slightly void of higher pitched overtones. Pure white, rather than coated white, goes the same direction as ebony heads.

Awesome, thanks GD.

I was curious about ebony heads and this makes sense. It was my conclusion that ebony or smooth whites sound a little darker as reso kick heads. Coated just doesn't sound as good to me.

Last edited:
I think that combination would sound deep, dripping with good tone, and a nice long sustain (unmuffled). A great rock, metal or funk sound.

That's what I wanted to hear lol. Thanks for the response. I've been curious about the G Plus heads since they've came out. I've been reading that people seem to like them better as reso heads, but I've just seen where they were paired with the G1, I may have missed other threads with the G2's, but yeah, I'm rambling lol. Thanks again!

Ok another question! I've put a hole in the bass drum reso and finished it off with one of those HOLZ. When should you replace the bass drum reso as it's a special piano white colour to match the rest of the drums and I don't want to get a black or white one!

I'd say that the bass drum reso is the one head that is replaced the most infrequently compared to all the other heads. Most people keep their "logo" heads for life. I like replacing batters once a year, reso's every 2. BD reso? I hardly give it a 2nd thought. If it's less than 5 years old, I'd keep it on, unless it makes you feel better to replace it, or if it's AFU.

Summary of the stuff below:-
The more mass a head has the lower it's natural frequency
The more ridgid a head is the higher it's frequency.
The less dampening effect the closer the resonant frequency is to the natural fraquency.
Higher mass and lower dampening produce longer sustain

From an engineering point of view
Factors that Affect Resonance and sustain in drums.
Resonating systems will be described in terms of a "spring system." From a practical point of view, any structural part or combination of assembled parts that can be deflected by a force and then returned to their original positions when the force is removed, can be treated as a "spring system."

In physics, resonance is the tendency of a system to oscillate at its maximum amplitude, associated with specific frequencies known as the system's resonance frequencies. At these frequencies, even small periodic driving forces can produce large amplitude vibrations, because the system stores vibrational energy. When dampening is small, the resonance frequency is approximately equal to the natural frequency of the system, which is the frequency of free vibrations.

Each spring system has its own natural frequency, which, when matched by a vibration frequency, will resonate. Drum shells and drum heads are springs whose resonant frequencies are determined not only by their diameter and mass but also by their rigidity. Objects added to the spring system add mass, and will lower the resonant frequency and may increase vibration damping unless ridgidity is maintained.

Sustain,(the length of time taken for the initial work done by the drumstick to transform into vibrational energy and then into sound energy) will depend on the size of the initial force, the mass of the spring system and the amount of dampening present.
Longer sustain is observed when the initial strike force is higher, the mass of the spring system is higher and the resonant frequency is closest to the natural frequency (i.e there is a small dampening effect)

The more flexible a part, the lower its natural frequency. The more rigid, the higher the natural frequency.
The smaller the deflection of the drum head, the higher the resonance frequency. The greater the static deflection, the lower the resonance frequency.

It's a law of physics that all things being equal, a thicker head will stay in motion (resonate) for a longer amount of time than a thinner head. I used clear G1's over clear G1's for a long time.(G1's are a 10 mil single ply head) A fine sound, no doubt. As an experiment I tried clear Diplomats, a thinner head, (7.5 mils) as resos. I thought it would make for a livelier tom. I got noticeably less sustain that the G1 over G1 combo. So I went back to the G1's as resos. I tried the clear G plus's (a single ply 12 mil head) as batters and lost the attack I like. Instead of my toms sounding like "doom doom" they sounded like "oom oom" to me. So I went back to the G1 batter. Months later I wanted to experiment again, because I felt my 10" DW tom wasn't sustaining enough. Since I had a set of barely used G plus's laying around I decided to try them as resos. I immediately heard more warmth and sustain from my drums, right in keeping with the law of physics. This does go counter with what Evans claims, but I know what I hear and that's what matters most. I trust my ears and sensibilities over another mans marketing hype any day. Evans make fine heads, not knocking them, I use them, but experiments convinced me that G pluses sustain longer and sound better as resos than the G1's. Now, the EC1's are a 14 mil single ply head, even thicker that the G Plus'. This should make for and even longer sustain. I do have a set of them that I peeled the overtone control rings off of with the help of a blowdryer...(I'll control my overtones thank you very much) but I haven't experimented with them yet. Haven't tried the 2 ply EC2 heads as reso's either, but I will probably experiment with them as well. Meantime, I am very happy and satisfied with the sound of clear G1's over clear G Plus. Next experiment is with the EC1's, I'll make a post when I do.

Sorry to bring up an older post, but was just curious to see if you have experimented with the EC1 and the G Plus yet?

Not yet Bud, probably won't be for at least a week, the way my schedule is looking

Since the subject was last reviewed in the Journal,1 there have been important advances in the treatment of locally advanced head and neck squamous-cell carcinoma. These new approaches incorporate chemotherapy into initial curative treatment to achieve organ preservation and to improve survival. Moreover, progress in the elucidation of the molecular genetic changes that lead to the development of these tumors should soon bring novel diagnostic and therapeutic procedures into clinical practice. This review will highlight these important advances in the treatment of patients with head and neck cancer (Table 1) and emphasize the ways in which molecular biology is likely to affect the development of future therapies.

Since the subject was last reviewed in the Journal,1 there have been important advances in the treatment of locally advanced head and neck squamous-cell carcinoma. These new approaches incorporate chemotherapy into initial curative treatment to achieve organ preservation and to improve survival. Moreover, progress in the elucidation of the molecular genetic changes that lead to the development of these tumors should soon bring novel diagnostic and therapeutic procedures into clinical practice. This review will highlight these important advances in the treatment of patients with head and neck cancer (Table 1) and emphasize the ways in which molecular biology is likely to affect the development of future therapies.

i cant make out, whether or not that was off topic :S

Just to clarify gentlemen, a G1 and a Genera are both 10 mil. The Genera Reso is made of a slightly softer material.

I've been thinking of trying the clear G pluses as reso's under clear G2's. Anyone still using this combo with good results?

I experimented with EC2's as reso's for 3 days with not good results. They would be great in an all cement drum booth though.

Back