Sonor SQ2 High Gloss Bubinga

wow, those are some deep floortoms...

Yep! The only company that goes deeper than their diameter. Look again folks...those are 14" and 16" floor toms, ....16" and 18" inches deep respectively! GOT to love that!!

On a sour note,....too bad he just didn't order something he created (size-wise) ...isn't that a Danny Carey copy?

Cool drums.

I personally would not go thinner to the floor toms. Usually drum companies choose other way around to get a more melodic sound in small diameters with thinner shells and a big punch sound on the floor toms with the tick ones. anyway... right on..

They must sound amazing, and that dude in the picture looks STOKED.

Sure does. If by STOKED you mean STONED:) Anybody else getting the Jason Mewes vibe here?

They're amazing, heck even the boxes they come in are pretty sweet. If only i had some money.

My understanding is that he bought the boxes for $9000, the drums came free. Just another crafty marketing gimmick.

Cool drums.

I personally would not go thinner to the floor toms. Usually drum companies choose other way around to get a more melodic sound in small diameters with thinner shells and a big punch sound on the floor toms with the tick ones. anyway... right on..

Ya and that's a shame, if you've never heard floors in these sizes you don't know what your missing...maybe more compaines should follow a REAL manuf. lead. Just my .02

I love the fact Sonor produces a wider range of drum depths which makes Sonor sound so unique along their vertical laminating shell construction.

Just like the good old days! Like the signature series from days gone by. The heavy shells and all...but with an exception: the new suspension mounts really must make those drums sing better than the originals. I have read comments on the Sonor museum like "The finest sounding shells Sonor has made to date" and similar comments.

I am checking out *every* music/drum shop in the Seattle area this weekend. I hope one of them has a heavy sq2 in stock so that I can hear it.

Just like the good old days! Like the signature series from days gone by. The heavy shells and all...but with an exception: the new suspension mounts really must make those drums sing better than the originals. I have read comments on the Sonor museum like "The finest sounding shells Sonor has made to date" and similar comments.

I am checking out *every* music/drum shop in the Seattle area this weekend. I hope one of them has a heavy sq2 in stock so that I can hear it.

I have a large Signature kit Thick 12mm Beech, and a Designer Five Star Kit Thin 6.7mm Maple.

One 14x14 Signature tom is on a snare stand. I have two of these drums. Both sound two octaves lower on the snare stand vs the Signature mounts. I am going to put my other toms on RIMS. I do not like the look of RIMS, but they will give the drums an even lower fundamental and a bit more resonance if you can believe that, as they sound like a tymphani now, LOL. Some forum Sonor members have done this on their older Link era kits and find that it does make them even better. For my ears and everyone else, on a snare stand, big difference. Maybe go John Bonham for every tom, LOL.....Can you see an 8x8 tom mounted on a snare stand?
LOL.

The Five Star kit does sing in a different way then the Link era Signatures. Not less, or even better to my ears, just different. The Link era sound is a sound, that is not duplicated by the Designers, or SQ2, and rightly so. I like having both....but thats just me. I have been really wanting to but a Clear Coat on my drums like these SQ2's. I know its sacralige to the boys on the Sonor forum, but I like it a lot more. I have the right person to do the work. I think, seeing this old thread brought back up, that I just might.

The Five Star kit does sing in a different way then the Link era Signatures. Not less, or even better to my ears, just different. The Link era sound is a sound, that is not duplicated by the Designers, or SQ2, and rightly so. I like having both....but thats just me. I have been really wanting to but a Clear Coat on my drums like these SQ2's. I know its sacralige to the boys on the Sonor forum, but I like it a lot more. I have the right person to do the work. I think, seeing this old thread brought back up, that I just might.

I saw a couple trivia tidbits about the 80's sonor on the museum site:

1. The hardware: they compare it to the late 70's/early 80's Ludwig and it's obviously superior.

2. The price: in 84 a 22" sig kick was $750, and by 88, it nearly doubled to $1250.

I look back to that era, and it looks like Sonor was a clear cut better than pretty much everything in terms of quality. As to sound: they seem to draw everything from high praise, to calling it an "Acquired taste" vs the Phonics and sonorlites.

As funny as it sounded....one sure way to ruin the looks of a Link era kit would be a row of toms on snare stands...hmm... as blasphemous as it sounds, what about Pearl optimounts?

Yep! The only company that goes deeper than their diameter. Look again folks...those are 14" and 16" floor toms, ....16" and 18" inches deep respectively! GOT to love that!!

On a sour note,....too bad he just didn't order something he created (size-wise) ...isn't that a Danny Carey copy?

Theres a reason why Danny Carey has the best drum sound... And they're not exactly the same, I think he plays a 14x14 and a 24x18. These sizes are typical of the Signature era and compliment beech beautifully

This is Dannys kit. Look closely.... Those shell thicknesses you THINK you are seeing, are REALLY there. Not a trick of light. Try and guess how thick....

dannydp3.jpg

One of the most spectacular finishes I have ever seen. Me wants one!

This is Dannys kit. Look closely.... Those shell thicknesses you THINK you are seeing, are REALLY there. Not a trick of light. Try and guess how thick....

dannydp3.jpg

That looks like those Pearl Reference snares, I think they're 20 ply?

Back