What would you pay??

My title is Gold member. I don't know how they found out. :p I'm the man with the Midas touch, if you konw what I mean. How about Silver Dude?

Anyway, I would certanly give something, don't know what. $50.00 a year doesn't seem unreasonable.

Maybe $50 a year is reasonable to you but sure isn't reasonable for the average kid and it isn't reasonable to someone that is out of work. Money would be better raised through sales of shirts and such. Yes, I know that has been tried and it's sad it didn't work. It didn't work because people didn't "buy" from what I hear. I think the shirts were white. Maybe they would have done better if they were black?? I say that because take for example.. concert (band) shirts are black for the most part. They sell like hotcakes. Just something to think about. I would be more likely to buy black. White makes me look like a circus tent :)

Well once again this is just me wondering. I'm not fishing or working undercover for Bernhard. It was after reading the Kodak website that I began what this large community would be willing to pay for a membership. But so far most of what I have gotten are all of the reasons that they wouldn't or can't afford to pay rather than post an actual amount that they felt would be worth it to them. I guess I didn't word it correctly but everyone seems to have misconstrued my original thought. I'll work on my English composition skills.
I understood what your original thought was. I really don't know what I would be willing to pay if I had to. If I come to that bridge, I'll decide if I should cross it or not. I also know that you weren't feeling things out for the proprietors of DW. It is a fact that Facebook and places like have also been toying with the idea of a fee.

I usually read the entire post before I answer (sometimes I do not) but I have to answer NOW...there is a place for us to donate to Drummerworld and although I have only done it once since I became a member this past August, I do INTEND to do it again because of what I know this site must cost. Bernhard is a wonder to foot the bill as he does and for what I get out of this site I feel it worth throwing in a donation from time to time, but I DO HOPE that it never becomes a pay site.

I am not saying I will not pay, but I am not positive I would either...when it is left to me to decide I am more willing to give and it is that freewill that I like about this site. If more of us (and I am certain there are MANY) gave of our own accord then it would continue on so that many others who do not give or cannot give still have the benefit of this marvelous resource! I certainly do not mind at all helping those who cannot nor will not give because this site is worth sharing.

My 2 cents

JIM

There's a Celtic forum I'm on which charges £10 to join, and another which lets you join for free, but you need to pay £20 for an avatar, proper PMs, search facility etc.
So considering all the help and advice I've gotten on here, I'd be more than happy to pay.

Anytime you put a forum like this up that attracts this many users - options open up for the owner to get some supplemental income.

It's probable Bernhard can cover the cost of running this without needing to charge the users

The best method is to give access to the content for free, keep your user base as high as possible, then sell of higher levels of service - most sites I've paid for have been like $50/year to be able to do x,y,z - but the level of content remains the same whether you pay or not.

I run a few free sites, and understand the pains, and would gladly pay a little here and there to help Bernhard - and I can do that now via donations.

-Richard

I'm assuming a fee based site (if this were) may also include additional features and options. Therefore, its hard to say what amount I would be willing to pay on a monthly or annual basis... since it would be directly correlated with what was offered for that amount.

Meaning, if DW decided to charge a monthly/annual fee but also added features such as online lessons with MP3's and PDF notation or exclusive playalong tracks, etc. from top artists or educators than I would pay accordingly (such as $20/month). If they did nothing more than what it is now (such as hosting a forum, etc.) than I would probably be willing to pay $50/year.

Well, i decided what the heck, bernhard deserves all the help we can give, just paypal'ed a donation. Keep up the great work, keeping DW fast, friendly, FUN, and FREE. You guys should also please give what you can, even if it's like 5 bucks.

-Peace all

i would pay whatever bernhard asked me to pay. sure, we could all go to the other 'free' sites, but none of them are DW. alot that i have found have not been nearly as friendly or helpful as DW has been. i payed $20 for a ghostnote membership and have no regrets about it. probably the only 2 sites i'd pay for.

Personally, I wouldn't pay for the discussion forum > I believe that while this isn't a 'free public forum' in the true sense of the open discussion forums, places like DW, where it's essentially the free exchange of ideas, is important and vital to community building. I suspect that if there were to be a user charge here; a great number of members would filter off elsewhere.

That being said - the aspect I would seriously consider paying for is access to the videos and educational material offered on the DW site. This aspect has definite value to me and my students and I never take it's availability for granted.

I HAVE donated to drum websites, but as soon as they make it mandatory, I'm outta there. Bart made his a pay for site. I guess my content contribution doesn't pull it.

It's nice that he made such extreme additions to the site (videos, teaching tools etc.), and I know they cost money. But I rarely use them, yet I have to pay for them? Well, I simply don't go there anymore. I really liked Bart's forums, but I can't post so there's no use in going.

I go to these sites for the forums, it's the interaction I'm looking for, not the extreme content. Charge for the extreme content and leave the forums open for all.

I predict the average website will be a pay for experience soon though.

Sorry buddy I wouldn't pay to use this site. I do like the site but seeing as all we can do is use this forum I think its fitting that this site is free. Plus i'm just a kid and can barely afford to replace my heads and cymbals.

Why would I pay for a forum that is almost identical (some better than DW in some ways, it has to be said. On the contrary, some are worse.) to every other one out there. And most ARE free. What is the point of paying for something that you can get for free?

You can store photos for free on a magical thing called MY PICTURES.

That's just storing them on your computer. Kodak stores them online, so you can link to them on websites, and such. But there are many alternatives, such as imageshack.us or photobucket.com.

Kodak will start charging for storage unless you spend a certain amount over a period of time. I have always used Shutterfly. they just sent out a mail to all customers that they would stay free for now.

And Lewis., if your computer crashes My Pictures is History. think about it.
and would you name one of those Drumming forums that is better than DW. I want to see what I'm missing.

Kodak will start charging for storage unless you spend a certain amount over a period of time. I have always used Shutterfly. they just sent out a mail to all customers that they would stay free for now.

And Lewis., if your computer crashes My Pictures is History. think about it.
and would you name one of those Drumming forums that is better than DW. I want to see what I'm missing.

There might not be a forum better than Drummerworld, but if DW closed down, then most of its users would flock to another forum, preferably the same one. Which essentially would be the same people, different forum.

Back