Nicko McBrain

Hello!!

I'm a huge Iron Maiden fan and have studied a lot of his playing, since I play in an Iron Maiden cover band (Piece of Maiden is the name).

His style of playing is unique, starting from the point he's one of the VERY FEW guys that never used a double bass/pedal (he used only once in the last album, in 'Face in the Sand'). It's a pity we never had enough of his bass drum sounds in Maiden albums (except in the last 2 ones), we missed a lot of his grooves there.

I think that nowadays he's the kind of guy that just sits there and plays, he doesn't care anymore about playing anything difficult, he seems just to want to have fun. Once you have mastered 4 or 5 of his drumlines you can pretty much play 90% of Maiden's material flawlessly. But you'll never sound like him.

As for his personality, I must be very unlucky, I always thought he'd be the easiest guy to talk and get signs/ pictures, but when I met him in the last tour (hanging out in the hotel in the Dance of death tour), he yelled at me "NO SIGNATURES!!", as I had just come close. A guy that was talking to him asked "Aren't you being rude?" and he went "Yes I am!!" so I had to reply with a "F*** off" *Not too loud as I still hadn't got other signs :p*. I was so disappointed that I even began to tell everybody that "Clive Burr outplays him". You know, it's VERY frustrating to be blown off by your idol. That's why I'm afraid of ever meeting Neil Peart.

Last edited by a moderator:
Johnny_Stacks said:
Actuly Iron Maidens old drummer Clive Burr ( think it was him, or one of the other drummers. not Nicko i no that for sure ) made the drum line for Where eagles dare. But yes Nicko did play it when he Joined the band. But another song i found simply amazing is Dream of Mirrors when you first start listening to that song you think its easy but listen to the whole thing and you will no what i mean!!

- John

I'm afraid johnny that you are mis-informed about where eagle dares. Nicko and steve harris came up with the riff for where eagle dares in jersey 1983 long after clive had gone. I heard Nicko explain this at one of his clinics this year.

As for Nicko's deep square tom's I love that sound , and the look of his kit.

You only have to listen to the likes of Somewhere in time and Seventh son of a Seventh son, to hear them beautys, I especially like the little toms.

I don't think that his current Premier drums cut through the same as his classic sonor.

Part of his sound on these albums is to do with his choice of heads.

Ludwig silver dots top, Ebony ambassador bottom. When I tried this combination on my Nicko replica it sounded just like the Somewhere in time kit.

Nicko Fan said:
I don't think that his current Premier drums cut through the same as his classic sonor.
tried this combination on my Nicko replica it sounded just like the Somewhere in time kit.

I can agree with that. The sonor power toms were thicker shells, with some bubinga in there. They cut like a monster, and had tons of low end.

Everyone should check out Nicko's performance on the new Iron Maiden DVD "Death On The Road". He is still absolutely incredible............
Sheer power, technique, showmanship and musicality...

Nicko Mcbrain

I would like to hear some professional oppinions about this man.He is one of the reasons i play drums today(and IRON MAIDEN offcourse).I know that he is one of the most atractive ones but what do you think about his tehnique?

Re: Nicko Mcbrain

Good solid rock drummer. I saw Pat Travers in 1977, I think was the year, and Nicko was drumming for him. But he spelled his name McBain back then. Same kit set up though.

Ive really gotten into Nicko in the past couple of months. He plays really tastefully, but has the chops to really let loose on a couple of songs. He plays extremely fast single bass (I think after Dance of Death he played double, not too sre though.)

Also, I love those deep, deep toms that his enormous set has. My teacher has a set like that from Darwin Drums (old custom company, keller shells, god awful finishes,) and they sound awesome

When I was young, I thought he was the best ever. Then I grew up and realized he wasn't. Now that I'm even older, I realize, I really prefer the simpler slower, less bass-drummy metal that he is so good at over the stuff today.

I saw him in concert in 1990 and he was upstaged big time by the drummer from Anthrax. Matter of fact, he was pretty bad. The fact that I remember that far back means it was insanely good, or not so good. It was bad, now that I think about it.

Other than the occassional Maiden release (a couple in the past 10 years) what does he play on?

He's the reason I started playing drums 20 years ago and still one of my favorite drummers ever. Seeing him live was one of the coolest experiences of my life, and he generally seems like an amazingly nice guy. I still rock out to 7th Son at least once a week!

NUTHA JASON said:
absolute legend!

saw him rocking the V festival this weekend and the man is still a powerhouse. he has such an odd drumset but boy does he play it. you only have to try to play along to maiden CDs to realise what an individual drummer he is.
and he plays paiste.
in south africa i used to own an 18'' 2002 crash he used at a concert. it had his signature on the back! had to sell it when i immigrated ...weeps.

NickoMcBrain1.jpg

j
man why didnt you eat it or something i would

I don´t think he is soooooooo god, I miss some headbanger feeling in the Maiden songs... but he has a very unique style, that should be mentioned. many songs do not impress me, it sounds funny in a special way but not heavy enough, on the only Maiden song I like, Fear of the Dark, the drums are also cool...

what about that sound on Brave new world album-i dont know about you guys but for me it is awsome pure power snare and rythm cymbal totaly new sound.Does anyone knows which kit he uses now.And one more! Are you soooo happy cause adrian smith is back?

His broken-up triplet pattern drive me nuts, but they're fun to attempt at least. Too bad his drum video is almost worthless unless you really wanted to see how his microphones are made in Heillbronn, Germany! (Funny enough, the city my dad was stationed in while in the service!)

But he's a great drummer. He was the first drummer I ever saw live. Somewhere On Tour, Stuttgart, Germany Nov 21st (I think) 1986. Great show. What an experience!

I caught them again on the 7th Son tour too.

brighton_9.jpg

cardiff_9.jpg

lgs_05_sun21.jpg

manchester_b.jpg

sun_04_zz.jpg
Nicko's Drums

A Real Dead One, Bruce's Leaving Concert, The Angel And The Gambler Video 93/98

Signia Maple (Black Finish)

6x8 8x8 10x10 12x12 13x13 14x14 15x15 16x16 18x16 & 24x18

14x5.5 Signia Snare Drum

Custom Built Rack System

Paiste 2002 Cymbals + Black Symphonic Gong

X FACTOUR 1995/96

Signia Maple (White Finish)

6x8 8x8 10x10 12x12 13x13 14x14 15x15 16x16 18x16 & 24x18

14x5.5 Signia Snare Drum

Custom Built Rack System

Paiste 2002 Cymbals

Virtual XI 1998

Signia Marquis (Flame Red Finish)

6x7 8x8 10x10 12x12 13x13 14x14 15x15 16x16 18x16 & 24x18

14x5.5 Signia Snare Drum

Custom Built Rack System

Paiste 2002 Cymbals + Red Symphonic Gong

Brave New World Tour 2000/01

Signia Marquis (Purple Sparkle)

6x7 8x8 10x10 12x12 13x13 14x14 15x15 16x16 18x16 & 24x18

14x5.5 Signia Snare Drum

Custom Built Rack System

Paiste Dimension Cymbals + Purple Symphonic Gong

Give Me Ead Till I'm Dead, Dance Of Death, Early Years 2003/05

Premier Premier Series (Custom Wrap By Hangman)

Toms Maple Unsupported Shells 6x7 8x8 10x10 12x12 13x13 14x14 15x15 16x16 18x16

Bass Drum Gen-X (Hybrid Birch&Maple) 24x18

14x5.5 Signia Snare Drum
14x5.5 Signia Marquis Snare Drum

Premier 6000 Hardware

DW 5000 Pedal & Hihat Stand

Paiste 2002 & Signature + Symphonic Gongs with Custom Painting

Back