Major upgrade

Nuka

Okay so I'm thinking about changing my pedals, most likely next summer when I actually have the cash.

I'm on Mapex P501TW's atm. For those who don't know that's the 500 series double pedal.

I do have two bass drums, though atm I use a single double pedal rather than two singles due to ease. (Is that why a lot of people do it?) That and the second bass drum acts as my rack.

So what would be a good upgrade?

I'm thinking Mapex 900 series, Falcon, Axis or possibly Iron/Speed Cobras. I want speed but I want continuity too. I don't wanna lose control or comprimise myself and start dropping beats or ticktocking.

I did look at a D4, but those things are rediculous haha. So yeah, anything really. I am open to buying two single pedals, though having a double is useful for when I'm not on my own kit.

I just bought a Mapex Falcon a couple months ago, it's a really good pedal, smooth, fast, powerfull, solid and the qualtity is outstanding. The pedal comes with two different cams, glide and pursuit, a strap (if want to swap with the chains), reversible beater with interchangeable weights (10 & 20grammes), a velcro plate to screw under the base plate. It has all the modern adjustements found on pedals these days.

I've choose that pedal as it offers various setting combinations.

You can also add a direct drive sytem to the pedal (at extra cost)

You need to get out and try them all in person, truthfully only you will know what feels good for you. I have a lot of different pedals and even have another in transit to me.i like different pedals for different genres of music. I would recommend the Trick Pro 1v or an Axis A in either longboard or regular whatever floats your boat.

Last edited:
You need to get out and try them all in person, truthfully only you will know what feels good for you. I have a lot of different pedals and even have another in transit to me.i like different pedals for different genres of music. I would recommend the Trick Pro 1v or an Axis A in either longboard or regular whatever floats your boat.

I also recommend the Trick pedals. I went from DW 9000's to the Trick Dominator longboard double. The Trick Pro 1v and Bigfoot are fricken engineering marvels, but a little pricey for me ($800?). Them are my dream pedals. The Trick Dominator longboards use the same technology and material. Very smooth, easy to adjust and they FLY!

Definitely much less engineered than the DW 9000's. They come as 2 separate pedals and are easily attached with smooth linkage to create a double. I reach down in between songs with 1 hand to adjust the spring tension.

Those are the pros.
Cons: It's hard to try these out, because no shop displays them or keeps them in stock. Price - about $500 from MF.
I checked with some pro drummers and did my research and they fly for me.

What's your budget?

I also recommend the Trick pedals. I went from DW 9000's to the Trick Dominator longboard double. The Trick Pro 1v and Bigfoot are fricken engineering marvels, but a little pricey for me ($800?). Them are my dream pedals. The Trick Dominator longboards use the same technology and material. Very smooth, easy to adjust and they FLY!

Definitely much less engineered than the DW 9000's. They come as 2 separate pedals and are easily attached with smooth linkage to create a double. I reach down in between songs with 1 hand to adjust the spring tension.

Those are the pros.
Cons: It's hard to try these out, because no shop displays them or keeps them in stock. Price - about $500 from MF.
I checked with some pro drummers and did my research and they fly for me.

What's your budget?

I would check around a little more for access to the Trick line of pedals. Several of the drums shops in my travels have them on display and stock the pedals in their inventory. I bought my Pro 1 V pedals from Dales Drum shop in central PA. They have the entire line to try and to buy.

Dennis

I would check around a little more for access to the Trick line of pedals. Several of the drums shops in my travels have them on display and stock the pedals in their inventory. I bought my Pro 1 V pedals from Dales Drum shop in central PA. They have the entire line to try and to buy.

Dennis

Very difficult to find a good drum shop in the UK, let alone one that is stocking the Trick pedal.

Very difficult to find a good drum shop in the UK, let alone one that is stocking the Trick pedal.

Yea, I have absolutely no idea on the availability and price of drums and hardware in other parts of the world away from mine. I just quoted and responded to the statement of the contributor who lives in the state of California, USA.

I'm still not able to figure the money exchange rates other than those here in the US.

Dennis

There's only four maybe good shops that I know of over here:

Wembley, Newcastle, Drum-Stop (Sheffield) and RockEm (Rotherham).

But nope, no Tricks to try.

I've tried all the ones I can in Drum-Stop myself, favouring the Falcons I think, though I've noticed they are quite weighty.

Yea, I have absolutely no idea on the availability and price of drums and hardware in other parts of the world away from mine. I just quoted and responded to the statement of the contributor who lives in the state of California, USA.

I'm still not able to figure the money exchange rates other than those here in the US.

Dennis

Generally speaking the prices in the UK are numerically similar to the price in the US. If the price is $300, it is likely to be £300, making our prices around 1.6 times higher (or whatever the exchange rate is). It's very difficult to find some of the slightly more esoteric equipment here. Often, shops will stock one or two brands and not others so it's hard to find a good cross-section.

Back