Favourite Female Vocalists

Frost

Silver Member
Singing can be a beautiful heart and personally nothing warms my heart more then watching a beautiful woman sing a beautiful song.

Who are some of your favourite female singers?

Here is a video of Liv Kristine, she has an amazing voice, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_bqvYBE_fQ

I also have a soft spot for this brand of European folk music (and Eleuveite singer Anna Murphy), http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msRy4vcSX4k

Pretty sure there's already a thread on this.....

However Lacey Mosley (Flyleaf), Haley Williams (Paramore), Leïlindel (Unexpect) and whoever is the girl that sings on Opeth's song "Coil" are my top favorites for sure.

-Jonathan

Prett
y sure there's already a thread on this.....

However Lacey Mosley (Flyleaf), Haley Williams (Paramore), Leïlindel (Unexpect) and whoever is the girl that sings on Opeth's song "Coil" are my top favorites for sure.

-Jonathan

This girl from Coil? Nathalie Lorichs is indeed a wonderful singer, not very well known outside of Sweeden however.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZamkhX4IqI

I happen to like the female vocals in unexpect, I like the violins as well. I like quite a bit of unexpect, if only they didn't all growl different verses at the same time while trying to play five different beats

Yes...

There IS already a thread about favorite female vocalists.

Hopefully the "powers that be" can loop this in with the original identical thread.

But, while I'm here I'll say:

Karen Carpenter
Ann Wilson
&
Patsy Cline

There was a thread about Great female rock voices so I won't repeat what I said there.

Some great non rock female vocalists ...

Nina Simone - timbre and phrasing
Dagmar Krause (Henry Cow) - amazing expressiveness and pitching impossible intervals with ease
Joni Mitchell - lovely tone, great range and with intelligence
Dusty Springfield - timbre from heaven
Diana Krall - lovely husky jazz voice
Roberta Flack - smooth as silk
Shelley Bassey - pure power and style
Ella - the complete jazz package, great scatter
Anastacia - fabulous throaty tone
Patti Labelle - fun-kee!

Ella who? I have not heard a lot of female scatters before.

There was a thread about Great female rock voices so I won't repeat what I said there.

Some great non rock female vocalists ...

Nina Simone - timbre and phrasing
Dagmar Krause (Henry Cow) - amazing expressiveness and pitching impossible intervals with ease
Joni Mitchell - lovely tone, great range and with intelligence
Dusty Springfield - timbre from heaven
Diana Krall - lovely husky jazz voice
Roberta Flack - smooth as silk
Shelley Bassey - pure power and style
Ella - the complete jazz package, great scatter
Anastacia - fabulous throaty tone
Patti Labelle - fun-kee!

Not bad at all, thanks for pointing it out, I've heard a few jazz singers from that era and while I don't love scat I can appreciate it. I just always feel that I'd rather hear the same notes on a trumpet instead of syllables from a voice.

Not bad at all, thanks for pointing it out, I've heard a few jazz singers from that era and while I don't love scat I can appreciate it. I just always feel that I'd rather hear the same notes on a trumpet instead of syllables from a voice.

In that case you'll enjoy Bobby McFerrin scatting to Round Midnight - you get scatting that's reminiscent of Miles. Alas, not a woman, but he's the best!

Ha! They might be singing in Icelandic :) I haven't heard much of them. Sweet.

Best get back to female singers ... ever heard Diamanda Glass? If this link seems pretty way out, you ought to hear her stuff with John Zorn - madness!

I mentioned Nina Hagen on the female rock voices thread but I can't resist :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xi4O4RvlnQ. If she comes anywhere near Sydney I am sooo going to be there!

I saw Marianne Faithfull play when she came out here ... her expressiveness is awesome! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWkKIBpQG9g

Ha! They might be singing in Icelandic :) I haven't heard much of them. Sweet.

Off of Wikipedia, "Vonlenska is a term used to describe the unintelligible lyrics sung by the band, Vonlenska is a non-literal language, without fixed syntax, and differs from constructed languages that can be used for communication. It focuses entirely on the sounds of language; lacking grammar, meaning, and even distinct words. Instead, it consists of emotive non-lexical vocables and phonemes; in effect, Vonlenska uses the melodic and rhythmic elements of singing without the conceptual content of language"

In a lot of ways I guess you could say it's a lot like scat. The album - ( ) has nothing but gibberish vocals (one phrase to be precise,You xylo. You xylo no fi lo. You so), a lot of their other songs feature them as well.

Sigur Ros are a pretty cool band, there is one song where they play an electric bass with a cello bow, that's fairly unique.

Off of Wikipedia, "Vonlenska is a term used to describe the unintelligible lyrics sung by the band, Vonlenska is a non-literal language, without fixed syntax, and differs from constructed languages that can be used for communication. It focuses entirely on the sounds of language; lacking grammar, meaning, and even distinct words. Instead, it consists of emotive non-lexical vocables and phonemes; in effect, Vonlenska uses the melodic and rhythmic elements of singing without the conceptual content of language"

Great idea - no lyrics to learn!

Great idea - no lyrics to learn!

True. I think the band said that they did it because vocals are a beautiful instrument but they believe people to focus too highly on lyrical content, they want them to feel the music and interpret it however they like.

Last edited:
Some greats already listed. Surely the greatest ever is Ella but you've got to have Billie Holiday and Nina Simone sitting right with her. My favourites from my own era - Aretha, Gladys, Chaka, Annie Lennox, Sheryl Crowe, Alison Moyet, and K D Lang.

My 2p.

Richard

For me;

K D Lang
Mariah
Lead singer of 80's/90's girl band 4 non blondes... feel free to name her for me!!
Bonnie Rait
Shawn Colvin

Back