evans question/tunning

CaptainSticks

hey guys, i recently got a gretsch renown maple kit that came with coated g2s on top and g1s on bottom. i was wondering if i should replace them with my ec2s. what tones tones do each head tend to give? from your experience which of the two work the best? lol finally how do you tune? resto head same, tighter, or looser? sorry this one is long, just want to you your opinion so i can see what to try out.

-Brendan

First off, the heads you have are great.
Second, instead of dishing out money for new heads which will cost you a fair bit of cash go out and buy some drum tuning videos, or pay someone to teach you how to tune, trust me its worth every penny.
Also, there's tons of free material on this site and on the net. YOu tube Bob Gatzen has some nice videos with good audio/video, his videos are easy to understand and very informative.

Regarding if the reso should be tighter or looser it all depends. Most drummers from what I have seen here at DW tune their reso higher than their batter. some tune both heads the same for max. sustain, again it depends. Some tune reso on larger drums much higher than on smaller drums (because there is too much sustain) You have to do your homework and see for yourself.
Use the search function. Also the drum tuning thread.

i have the G2's on my 12 and 16 toms - reso sides i keep fairly snug, definitly a little tighter than the batters, them i just tighten enough to get a nice low tone out of.
the snare - i like to crank both heads fairly tight to get a nice crack out of it!
i just kept playing around with different tensions and took notes on what did and did'nt work - eventually i started getting lucky!

Experimentation is the key.

Tuning the batter and reso to the same pitch gives the most sustain. Might be too much for mics but if you play out unmiked that's just what you want.

Raise the reso to shorten sustain.

If you're new to tuning, or just want another perspective, these vids are pretty good:

Tuning toms

Tuning snares

Tuning bass drums

Why reso heads are important

Reducing snare buzz part 1 and part 2.

don't go spending money on ec2's until your g2's are worn out, i had g2's before my ec2's and g2's with moongel sound very similar. so there's no need to go and dish out a load of cash for something you can simply solve with a few £ or $ worth of moongel./

I just took my G2's off of my Renowns. G1 on the reso side. I have fibreskin on them now but only for test purposes and not because I didn't like the G2's. I love the G2 coated.

Back