Keith Moon

• Thread starter tuckerduncan2002
  • Start date
Re: Moony: may be a repost . . .

Yeah, i love the way they didn't take themselves as seriously as some of their contemporaries (Led Zep), and many of the modern bands. Moon could have been a comedian (i guess i was, in a way) judging by the way he was clowning around when in front of the mic doing the backing vocals . . . .

JW89 said:
i heard something, i dont know if its true or not, but pete townshend was talking in an interview about moon, and he said a doctor was examining moons footspeed, and his one foot alone was compatable with the speed of a machine gun, thats disgustingly fast, it makes me wanna stop playing
It wasn't his foot that was like the speed of a machine, I thought it was all of his arms and legs. Like he could play a note every 1/10 of a second or something. I forget what the statistics are. But it was really quite fast... I think.

i love keith moon, his playing with the who is so energetic and exciting!

comon guys though lets not start comparing, they all fit there bands and is not better then the other guy or whatever.

Rudy McRudster said:
I was never a fan of Keith Moon. His style is always so sloppy and, a lot of the time, overplayed. And if there's one groove that makes my blood boil it's definately "You Better", or at least I think that's what it's called. It is just so annoying and never goes anywhere.

Now, I'm not saying he's terrible. He's been a big influence to many drummers, but I just don't like his style.

Just to let you know....its You better you bet, ...and moons been dead for around 4 years when that cam eout, the drummer was kenny jones.

I always thought Keith seemed to have a very odd flow with his right hand jumping back and forth on the cymbals. Is it true that Keith did not use a hi-hat? That certainly would explain, in part, his very different style. What say ye hi-hat players?

Daddy-o said:
I always thought Keith seemed to have a very odd flow with his right hand jumping back and forth on the cymbals. Is it true that Keith did not use a hi-hat? That certainly would explain, in part, his very different style. What say ye hi-hat players?

Once Kieth went with two kick drums he abandoned the hats. Later (late 70's) he had a closed hat setup on his right (with about a kazillion other drums and gear).

--LG

fourstringdrums said:
Are you sure it was Keith's drumming and not the termites?
Ye sWHen Keith tried out for his first band, The Beachcombers, ( he tried out for this band like three times i think) he hit so hard that his blue Premier kit that he borrowed start to go through the floor. This prompted Keith to Tie down is kit for a while, then he started to use what looked like a hollow box, but it was actally a solid wooden block, to keep his kit from falling through the floor.
If you are at all interested in Keith Moon, or the Who, i suggest buying the book Moon, its like 400 page long, but its alla bout experiencing the who from keiths perspective, and it tralks about Kim, jis wife, and Mandy, his daughter, its a great book, ful of knowledge
tj

Re: Keith Moon that good???

tuckerduncan2002 said:
Would anyone care to enlighten me about Keith Moon? He is deemed a legend, yet I have never been impressed by his playing. I found his playing sloppy, especially in concert. I don't think he took his playing all that seriously. Maybe someone could help me out.

Keith Moon page on DrummerWorld

I think what was unique about Keith was he could play a seemingly total off-beat fill and yet come right back in perfect time. Was he one of the greats? Probably not. Was he one of the most unique? Definately.

Re: Keith Moon that good???

doublestrokeroll said:
I think what was unique about Keith was he could play a seemingly total off-beat fill and yet come right back in perfect time. Was he one of the greats? Probably not. Was he one of the most unique? Definately.
so you dont feel that Keith Moon was one of the greatest drummers of all time? he made a ton of bad mistakes, but he became a touring musician at the age of 15, that is insane, and he was considered the greatest, if you want to consider Ringo ANY good, please, you have to consider Keith one of the greats!!
tj

One of my most memorable gigs was a night at the Starwood in Hollywood, Ca. We played there on a pretty regular basis during the mid to late seventies. On this night we were opening for blues legend John Mayal. We really weren't into blues very heavily, but we looked forward to his performance. Nothing like being back stage.

The first surprise was an appearance by Joe Cocker. He sat in with Mayal and sang a couple of songs. Pretty cool. Later I was hanging out in the upstairs area behind the stage and one of the roadies asked if one of Mayal's friends could jam on a couple of my drums. I said sure. I had to two mounted toms on a floor stand and the drummer took them onto the stage and put some nice dents in the heads. I missed his performance.

As the night went on one of the roadies told me the drummer that jammed on my drums was looking for me and wanted to thank me. We rounded the corner from opposite directions and nearly banged heads. He asked if those were my drums and I said yep. He said thanks, I'm Keith Moon. We shock hands and he handed me a hundred dollar bill and said buy some new heads.

I did.

Steady Freddy said:
One of my most memorable gigs was a night at the Starwood in Hollywood, Ca. We played there on a pretty regular basis during the mid to late seventies. On this night we were opening for blues legend John Mayal. We really weren't into blues very heavily, but we looked forward to his performance. Nothing like being back stage.

The first surprise was an appearance by Joe Cocker. He sat in with Mayal and sang a couple of songs. Pretty cool. Later I was hanging out in the upstairs area behind the stage and one of the roadies asked if one of Mayal's friends could jam on a couple of my drums. I said sure. I had to two mounted toms on a floor stand and the drummer took them onto the stage and put some nice dents in the heads. I missed his performance.

As the night went on one of the roadies told me the drummer that jammed on my drums was looking for me and wanted to thank me. We rounded the corner from opposite directions and nearly banged heads. He asked if those were my drums and I said yep. He said thanks, I'm Keith Moon. We shock hands and he handed me a hundred dollar bill and said buy some new heads.

I did.
wow, i will give you two thousand dollars right now for those heads, OH MY GOSH! keith moon, dude, i really wish that i could have been there, but dude, im so jealous of you!!!!

hey the only reason you see keith moon playing the drums crazy and making strange facial expressions is that he wanted to be the center of attention. if he didn''t take playing the drums seriously then why the hell was he up there playing with one of the best bands of all time?? he wouldnt be wasting his time playing the drums for no reason. playing the drums was the only thing he was good at and he realized that he could play it well. he was deff without a doubt when of the most fastest and innovative drummers to have picked up sticks. a good dvd to buy to see excellent drumming is Isle of Wight Festival 1970. its a great dvd.

Well, if one considers just the pure art form of drumming, one would have to consider Moon one of the best modern drummers. If you listen closely to Naked Eye from Who's Next, Moon's concept of drumming in concert with the lead guitar reveals a whole new way of redefining the role of the drum in the convential four piece band. Of course, Moon did this with earlier music with the Who, but that song, in my opinion, gives a clear example of tremendous contribution he made to drumming and music. Yes, he was unconventional and boorish at times, but when looking one's personal life, especially a celeberities, you must consider the good with the bad. It is too bad that individual's become almost slavish in devotion to one person's style, while overlooking the contributions of others. All muiscians are creative to some degree, and in my opinion, Moon, on the drum set, was creative and innovative, two intangibles that are necessary to create in a rock band setting.
Hillbilly Drummer

Actually Keith Moon played so fast that he was making a beat every 1/2 a millisecond whic, i believe is 1200 beats a minute. At the time a machine gun couldn't fire that fast.

Actually Keith Moon played so fast that he was making a beat every 1/2 a millisecond whic, i believe is 1200 beats a minute. At the time a machine gun couldn't fire that fast.

where did u get this information? and those who gave you it, how did they get the information, i dont think they ever recorded what his BPM was. And if they slowed down a tape to determine it, then he would hold the record for fastest BPM, am i wrong?

knuckle9 said:

One beat each 1/2 millisecond=2000 beats each second= 120000 bpm

That's good reliable information that you give us.....

Last edited:
knuckle9 said:
Actually, at that time the minigun was around. With that machine gun you get to choose between 3,000 rounds per minute and 6,000 rounds per minute. Which one do you want to put Moon in a contest with?

tombombsquad said:
Just to let you know....its You better you bet, ...and moons been dead for around 4 years when that cam eout, the drummer was kenny jones.

Hmmm...Makes me wonder how many "Keith Moon" fans are actually unknowing Kenny Jones fans?

new premier kit released. "spirit of lily" based on keith's "pictures of lily" kit.
reviews seem good so far.

Back