Ludwig Acrolite Classic and Ltd. Edition!

i don't know, i kinda dig the limited model. i always put tube lugs & p86's on my acro's, so the brushed hardware doesn't really matter to me. depending on the retail price i may get one. obviously i don't really need it (i've got a vintage one) but i think there is something special about buying new every now and then. i think these are going to be popular, because even though they may be slightly more expensive than a vintage one, most people don't want to buy a dirty old drum and fix it up (which in the end can actually total the price of one of these new ones). And for the drummers who know this is basically a supra with a higher tuning range and no pitting, they'll buy it.

I always wanted a 6.5 that was like the original finish I had on the 5.

I had a 6.5 Black Galaxy, but sold it. Just wasn't used a lot.
Liked the sound, but....

This one looks different than my other snares and since I liked the other one, I'll probably get one of these.

431289_10150708667838529_25815273528_11273309_1001164784_n.jpg

Not so sure about the look of the Brushed hardware.

I guess this kinda throws the value of those "200" original 6.5's out the window....

HEY!! Look where the butt plate is!!!

Last edited:
well now that i went back to ludwig's facebook and saw the 5x14 classic model, i'm hooked! you're right drumhedd, much better looking than the limited model. it's a real acrolite! i'm actually kind of glad they left the mufflers out though, it's never been one of their strong points. just put a wallet on that sucker!

Judging from those Facebook pictures, that limited edition doesn't look great. Like plastic. The classic looks nice though.

USD 539-569? I wonder what they will sell for ever here in Europe, after all taxes and other crap, USD X usually becomes EUR X while the currency rate is USD 1 = EUR 0.75.

And those blacrolites sell for EUR 329-355 (USD 442-477) over here.

I really do wish they'd update the p-85 on all drums to include a thicker, drumkey-bolt tightened clamp for the snare strap... and also start putting the cast butt on all their drums. Hell, even most midrange or budget imported snares from most major companies (including Ludwig) have better/sturdier mechanisms...

HEY!! Look where the butt plate is!!!

If they start drilling the butt plate higher...where it BELONGS...I'll sell my Black Beauty and LM402 and replace them with new ones. This has always seemed asinine to me. It's frustrating to have to order special no-collar Ambassador snare heads.

I might have to have me a new Acrolite! I never liked the look of the Blackrolite and everyone I know who owns them, claims the black finish dries out the sound.

If they start drilling the butt plate higher...where it BELONGS...I'll sell my Black Beauty and LM402 and replace them with new ones. This has always seemed asinine to me. It's frustrating to have to order special no-collar Ambassador snare heads.

speaking of which, what did you do to alleviate that problem? did you install a P32 or go with collarless heads?

I use the Remo No collar.
I really like the sound I get with it, & it cranks up with no problem.
That's how I like the Snare Side anyway, and a Hazy Amb or Evans will just pull and stretch out. This is a crimped collar like a Ludwig head, but it sounds beefier to me.

The shop stocks the head, but I wouldn't care about ordering (what's the big deal?).
I usually buy 3 or 4 at a time and have them on hand.

Nice drums,but I'LL stick with my 65 acro.The real deal.And...I just erplaced the original P-83/32,with a NOS one that looks brand new.IfI would buy one though,the classic 6.5 is the way to go.

Steve B

I use the Remo No collar.
I really like the sound I get with it, & it cranks up with no problem.
That's how I like the Snare Side anyway, and a Hazy Amb or Evans will just pull and stretch out. This is a crimped collar like a Ludwig head, but it sounds beefier to me.

The shop stocks the head, but I wouldn't care about ordering (what's the big deal?).
I usually buy 3 or 4 at a time and have them on hand.

That's what I use, though I can't get them in town or anywhere nearby. It's a hassle to order them because I have to pay shipping charges, unless I blow $100, which I don't usually do because I don't always need that much stuff. Then comes the week-long wait. I drive by my drum shop everyday and they carry the normal Amb snare heads. It's lame that they drill so low for the butt plate, they should just fix it so commonly-found heads fit the snares right.

Love my drums...but they gotta pull their heads out and take care of some simple QA issues.

hey Zam, can't you order heads from the shop you drive by?
If they stock Remo, they can get it. After all, all it takes is a part number.

Maybe you can strike up a relationship with them (if you haven't already) and start getting as good a deal from them as you can on the net.
Guy's like us keep them in business.

I've been going to my shop for over 35 years. Most of the people that work there have been there for many years also. It's a very cool place.

My take on the butt plate "situation" is, I get it about not using "any head you want", but with any product, sometimes certain things work, and certain things don't for different people.
There's millions of people that have been using a "regular" SS head with no problem, "I" just happen to like the bottom tighter than others I guess.
Bonham never seemed to have any issues with it--at least no one (his techs, Jason etc..) has said they, or he did.
Carmine, Baker, Morello, on and on used the 400 and 402 with regular heads and the butt where it is.
I just like a tighter bottom head, so I use the no collar Ludwig or Remo. No biggie.

It's not like a Hazy Remo (or Evans etc...) sounds so much better than a no-collar, and we're all screwed or something.

IMO, the butt could be moved up a bit, sure, but if it's not, it's not a deal breaker for me to say I don't want to use the snares.
I could use pretty much any Brass snare, and get the sound I want out of it, but, Ludwig snares just have that certain something extra that draws me to their drums.
It feels "right" with a Ludwig snare, and that's why I use them.
If (besides the sound) the "extra" reason of "it's the vibe" is flawed for anyone, they're free to use what they want. It's not going to matter to anyone else what I use right?

Back