Need to modify rod ends in order to mound drums

Can this be ground to a 7/8” cylinder to be placed into the mounting clamps?
If so, what is an easy way to do it?

Would it be easier just to cut the rod and either wrap something around it or glue a tube around it?

Attachments

• yamaha-mount.jpg
    yamaha-mount.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 138
Unless you know of someone who has a special cutting machine to do that, no. The resin on those is super hard and there's no way of knowing if it will actually take to being shaven down, or if it won't just crack up once you started to shave it.

What are you trying to mount on it? It might be better to just invest some money in the proper parts to do what you want.

I bought a MDS-3C and it came with the standard Roland clamps which are too big to fit in my Yamaha DTXtreme hex drum mounts. I only need 2, and would rather do a DIY, than to buy.

Here is a link I found that looks of. Better than paying $20 each or so, to get me by until I get a great deal (I have put too much into the set already at this time)

http://www.hellfiredrums.com/archives/157

Here is another pic using 79 cent anchor bolts...

diy_l_rod2.jpg

Thanks

Unless you know of someone who has a special cutting machine to do that, no. The resin on those is super hard and there's no way of knowing if it will actually take to being shaven down, or if it won't just crack up once you started to shave it.

What are you trying to mount on it? It might be better to just invest some money in the proper parts to do what you want.

Last edited:
I would try to sand it a little and see what happens. Try a piece of 40 grit just to see what it does. If it will sand and turn to dust instead of just gumming up the sand paper then you could use a belt sander to make it into a cylinder. The best thing to do would be to clamp the beltsander down to a bench so you could use both hands to very slowly turn it into a cylinder with exactly the shape you need.

You could also file it with a set of flat files...

Back