Nick Mason

Love it. "Animals" is my favourite Pink Floyd record.

Yes. I wholeheartedly agree. The best social commentary they ever did. I strongly believe that whilst other Prog (and with Floyd, I'd just about call them that, maybe) bands were in decline and Punk kicks them out (and rightly so) they survived on the strength of that record. It's hard, aggressive, cold, violent and vitriolic and it's bloody brilliant.

One song that isn't Mason on the drums is "Mother." That song has Jeff Porcaro on drums because Mason didn't have the time to learn the odd time signatures and Porcaro came in to save some time in the studio. So it is said.

Per Mason in his cover issue of Drumhead magazine, he did record Mother in England.

After Floyd recorded all their tracks in England, the tapes were send to Los Angeles for mixing. During the mixing process, someone decided the drums needed to be re-cut and Mason wasn't in Los Angeles that day, and off working on another project. So Jeff was called.

Rodger Water's also said in a recent interview he fought with Gilmour over which tracks of drums and bass parts should be used, and often used multiple takes as a compromise, but now admits all the fighting was over things that all sounded the same and it was just ego. Rodger Waters also fought with keyboardist Richard Wright so much that Wright was fired from the band during the recording process, only be to brought back as a hired hand for the tour. The point being, many tracks recorded for "The Wall" were thrown out over issues of ego and band drama rather an actual lack of skill.

Personally, I think Nick Mason is a great drummer and a good friend of mine.

Oh wait, were talking about the Pink Floyd's Nick Mason. :p

I think Nick Mason is great and big influence.

I disagree he played simply due to lack of skill, or lack of ideas to come up busier parts. There are some pre-Dark Side videos of him floating around youtube where Mason is much more in a Ginger Baker or Mitch Mitchel mode of filling up space. OK, so maybe he doesn't have Giner's technique per se, but Mason could play a lot of notes if he wanted to.

What makes Mason's playing on the legendary Floyd tracks amazing his Mason's ability to play the spaces between the notes.

His feel, his choice to leave space, his choices of what NOT to do when he could have done more is just epic.

I also disagree Mason lacked skill in that many Pink Floyd songs were in odd time, or have odd bits, and Mason not only played them, but made them sound great. "Money" is largely in 7/4, and yet Mason made it sound like a song you can dance to.

His incredible lack of ego is also something to be admired. Look how many drummers quit a band because they didn't get on such and such song or record. Nick's take? If Jeff re-cut Mother, if Andy newark of Jim Keltner makes more sense, then do it.

Jim Keltner said in his Drumhead cover issue that when he was recording drums for "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" that Mason was there, in the next room reading magazines, not the least bit phased about it (some other articles suggest it was actually Mason's idea to have other drummers record drums on that album).

One song that isn't Mason on the drums is "Mother." That song has Jeff Porcaro on drums because Mason didn't have the time to learn the odd time signatures and Porcaro came in to save some time in the studio. So it is said.

i still think nick mason did the drums for atom heart mother. it has his and roger waters signature on it as one of the early on and great pink floyd arrangements IMHO.

I recall seeing him sitting in the middle of his double kick, clear kit and the line of roto-toms during the Dark Side of the Moon show and thinking to myself "That guy has the best seat in the house!". Great job by Nick, killer show, 'nuff said.

Agreed, he was one quarter of a great band, and they were a band in the truest sense. Waters may have had the main ideas for the albums but the finished article was always dependent on the input of the whole band. With the exception of the Final Cut.

Andy Newmark did most of 'The Final Cut' but by then Mason was off with his cars and barely playing at all.

I've always enjoyed Floyd enormously. I remember playing along to them early on in (particularly 'Echoes', I recall) and really felt how difficult it was. Would find it difficult now to get the spaces now. Yep. Mason's cool. Always was.

He's not on much/any of Division Bell either, and allegedly when they toured live after that, a substantial amount of the drumming that came over the PA was Gary Wallis, the percussionist, rather than Nick.

I think Nick was pleased not to play on The Final Cut as, apparently, Waters was so far up his own a**e by that point that even the very mild mannered Gilmour said "It was a horrible album to make". My least favorite Floyd album as I see it more of a Roger Waters solo rant.

Grist to the mill for some of his fans on here I shall say this...

I used to think he was really over-rated, and pretty boring until I got up with some friends from other punk bands at a post-gig 'mash up' a couple of years back. We played Comfortably Numb. I enjoyed it and it made me switch on and play along to a couple of albums I like of Pink Floyd. And it dawned on me how wrong I was.

What struck me so intensely was just how hard it is to play SLOW. Yet, ironically most none-drum playing members of the public think it's easy.

Love Floyd. Nick was tremendous in the Pompeii movie. The band had a great understanding and chemistry. Like the Beatles they made richer music together than separately.

On the one hand I think for me they've written two of the top albums in the history of music (The Wall, Dark Side of the Moon). They are worth their accolades just for those two albums. Very much on my 'always go back to' list.

On the other hand I once bought their full boxed set of studio albums as a result of my love for the above two...listened to them...put them back in the box...and sold them back (at a considerable loss :)) On Ebay. I couldn't bear to listen to a lot of it. However, I'm a stinky, crust, old punk, and therefore have a 2.5 minute attention span on most songs :)

Having said the above, I've never been a fan of any band really. I'm just not programmed like that. Most bands I like, I like a bit of, but dislike some of. I don't like a song just because I like the band for example. As such I very rarely go to concerts and gigs of established bands who I may like because I know I will come away slightly disappointed and get bored part way through.

Two exceptions - Yes, and Marillion (although even Marillion have been dull the last couple of concerts).

I'm a bit odd I know.

Not the most technical player but like others have said perfect for Pink Floyd.

A big compliment I can say is that I never listen to his drumming and pick faults in it or think "he should have done this instead" his playing is very classy and perfect for the song so I have nothing but respect for his playing.

Came across really well in his autobiography, loved that he could poke fun in himself and his playing at times. Shows a really good (and dry) sense of humour in the book.

I've also met him in person and he was a nice chap to both myself and my partner. A signed drum clock/head hangs proudly in my drum room.

Great musical drummer. Much respect to him.

The same with most Floyd songs.

I remember coming off stage at a festival a few years back, a brief conversation with another (slightly cocky) drummer went something like this;

Drummer: Don't you get bored playing Comfortably Numb?

Me: Why would you ask that?

Drummer: Because it's so slow & simple, I think I'd fall asleep.

Me: Have you ever played that song?

Drummer: No.

Me: Come & speak to me again when you have, & it sounded good.

Very well said, slow with space is very difficult, your last comment captures that perfectly

Nicks playing never steps on the beauty of the music he is involved with.

He makes clear statements on songs like Speak To Me (opening track to Dark Side Of The Moon) that are easy to digest by a non-musician audience without sounding condescending or simplistic.

He selected tambres that were unique (roto-toms, bells, etc) and adventurous at the time.

I would say that Nick is a quality musician worth study and respect.

I think Nick was pleased not to play on The Final Cut as, apparently, Waters was so far up his own a**e by that point that even the very mild mannered Gilmour said "It was a horrible album to make". My least favorite Floyd album as I see it more of a Roger Waters solo rant.

True, and I wouldn't say all of Roger Waters' solo stuff is great (although all of it is interesting and "Amused to Death" IS great) ...

But for the same reason, once Waters left Floyd I found it a pretty lame band. With Mason off driving cars it was really Gilmour's solo band by then.

True, and I wouldn't say all of Roger Waters' solo stuff is great (although all of it is interesting and "Amused to Death" IS great) ...

But for the same reason, once Waters left Floyd I found it a pretty lame band. With Mason off driving cars it was really Gilmour's solo band by then.

I think every band has an era and Floyds was up before Waters left. Having said that The Division Bell is a cracking album, and the Pulse tour was for me one of there best.

I think every band has an era and Floyds was up before Waters left. Having said that The Division Bell is a cracking album, .

^ This.

I agree the Final Cut is a Water's solo album under the Pink Floyd name. And not a very good album.

I'd also agree A Momentary Lapse of Reason is essentially a Gilmour solo album, and while decent enough, isn't very Pink Floyd like.

But The Division Bell is really good. Likely due to the fact it was the first album in a long time that Gilmour, Mason and Wright actually collaborated like a band.

I don't know what you guys are talking about. I love The Final Cut. The strife in the band doesn't bother me, I just love the music.

Back