DW9000 kills my Iron Cobra! DW5000?

yammieoaks

i just tried a DW9000 pedal last night and it was amazingly smoother and more responsive than my Iron Cobra. wish i had saved a few extra bucks for this before buying my Cobra.

can someone who knows both the DW5000 & 9000 tell me if there's a huge or noticable difference?

i probably can't swing the 9000 but if the 5000 is close, i'll try to sell my Iron Cobra and get one...

i just tried a DW9000 pedal last night and it was amazingly smoother and more responsive than my Iron Cobra. wish i had saved a few extra bucks for this before buying my Cobra.

can someone who knows both the DW5000 & 9000 tell me if there's a huge or noticable difference?

i probably can't swing the 9000 but if the 5000 is close, i'll try to sell my Iron Cobra and get one...

Hmmm.
If you are selling it, how much for?

The 5000 is a lot more like the Cobra, not near as smooth as the 9000. Keep your Cobra unless you want to fork out the cash for the 9000.

I am saving for a E kit because I am deploying in Feb and wanted to bring it along. So I picked up a 9000 and was really surprised at the difference. They are expensive, dont know what I was thinking. The difference is very noticeable. It is incredibly sensitive and fast. I suspect as I get better, it will pay off more. The 5000 is still great. Still even more than I need or can handle. It will be a long time before the type of pedal makes a difference in my playing. Both are nice but the 9000 is heaven.

just hang on to your cobras. I've owned a DW 7002 and a 9002, both very nice pedals. The 9002 is their flagship so it's naturally going to be the best feeling one. Before you upgrade to an ultra pro pedal, try the premium ones that are out there or you'll end up regretting buying that 9002. Trick > Axis > 9002 > cobras

I have a few 5000s and play a iron cobra regularly on a practice kit. They really are very close to each other.

Imo I liked the 9000's but I like the eliminator a bit more, just the feel and adjustability, and it is a couple hundred cheaper, as for cobras those are a bit stiff for me

9000 and 5000 different animals and do feel different. The 9000 is smoother and way more adjustable than the 5000. I own both and there really is no comparison. Like was said above the 5000 is similar to the cobras. You regretted not saving the cash before, if you like the 9000's just keep saving and get what you want!

9000 are V expensive, but worth every penny in my view, I used to have a Premier 252, then a Ludwig Speedking...now the DW9000 and I have to say it is far better in just about every way.

The double pedal version I use is just stunning and you can adjust it in every way possible.

A very smooth pedal, worth the money as your pedal is central to your playing (IMO)

9000 and 5000 different animals and do feel different. The 9000 is smoother and way more adjustable than the 5000. I own both and there really is no comparison. Like was said above the 5000 is similar to the cobras. You regretted not saving the cash before, if you like the 9000's just keep saving and get what you want!

Thats odd.
I've heard of the 5000 being incredibly smooth.
But, I've never used one, soooooooo,
Maybe your right.

Nowadays it's all about marketing and selling expensive drum equipment. I started gigging jazz professionally way back in 1971 and I used a Ludwig Speed King for the next 20 years on hundreds and hundreds of gigs. Back then you didn't worry so much about your pedal, you just played on it. You either played a Speed King or a Gretsch floating action (depending upon your preference) and often you just played whatever pedal the manufacturer supplied with your new drum kit, be that Rogers, Slingerland, Camco, Ludwig or Gretsch. How well you played depended upon your playing ability and level of technique and drummers didn't worry so much about incremental and relatively minor differences between bass drum pedals, and they certainly didn't go out and spend nearly as much on a pedal as people today might spend on an entire mid-level drum kit. Back in 1970 I bought a new Rogers Holiday model five-piece kit for $850 and that included all hardware and a Rogers pedal. I still have that drumset, although I've refinished it a number of times and upgraded it from the original Swiv-O-Matic to Memri-Loc so it's not vintage.

Back around 1995 I found that I finally began to have more money to spend on drum stuff so I started buying pedals, usually relying upon marketing descriptions and advertisments in Modern Drummer magazine, thinking that somehow having a state-of-the-art and very expensive pedal (and also new drums) would benefit me somehow. I fell right into the regular marketing schtick, hook line and sinker.

Now, after having spent all this money on various expensive drums and equipment, I realize that going out and playing a gig works just as well and is just as satisfying and musical using my old Rogers kit with my Ludwig Speed King as with everything else I own, and just as likely with anything I could possibly buy in the future, regardless of how well marketed or expensive.

The only real exception to this has been the recent addition of a Gilbratar Linear pedal which really is a revolutionary pedal design and actually feels significantly different, and probably better than, any of my other pedals, at least in terms ease of playing and responsiveness. Otherwise, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Nowadays it's all about marketing and selling expensive drum equipment. I started gigging jazz professionally way back in 1971 and I used a Ludwig Speed King for the next 20 years on hundreds and hundreds of gigs. Back then you didn't worry so much about your pedal, you just played on it. You either played a Speed King or a Gretsch floating action (depending upon your preference) and often you just played whatever pedal the manufacturer supplied with your new drum kit, be that Rogers, Slingerland, Camco, Ludwig or Gretsch. How well you played depended upon your playing ability and level of technique and drummers didn't worry so much about incremental and relatively minor differences between bass drum pedals, and they certainly didn't go out and spend nearly as much on a pedal as people today might spend on an entire mid-level drum kit. Back in 1970 I bought a new Rogers Holiday model five-piece kit for $850 and that included all hardware and a Rogers pedal. I still have that drumset, although I've refinished it a number of times and upgraded it from the original Swiv-O-Matic to Memri-Loc so it's not vintage.

Back around 1995 I found that I finally began to have more money to spend on drum stuff so I started buying pedals, usually relying upon marketing descriptions and advertisments in Modern Drummer magazine, thinking that somehow having a state-of-the-art and very expensive pedal (and also new drums) would benefit me somehow. I fell right into the regular marketing schtick, hook line and sinker.

Now, after having spent all this money on various expensive drums and equipment, I realize that going out and playing a gig works just as well and is just as satisfying and musical using my old Rogers kit with my Ludwig Speed King as with everything else I own, and just as likely with anything I could possibly buy in the future, regardless of how well marketed or expensive.

The only real exception to this has been the recent addition of a Gilbratar Linear pedal which really is a revolutionary pedal design and actually feels significantly different, and probably better than, any of my other pedals, at least in terms ease of playing and responsiveness. Otherwise, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Just so you know, you're not normal.

Hey, thanks for the compliment! I haven't watched TV in almost ten years either. And I tend to read very big books with long words.

Trick > Axis > 9002 > cobras

I agree.

But I have to say I like all of the pedals mentioned above. I recently switched from an Iron Cobra Flexiglide to the Trick. Although I think the ICs are great pedals, I have not played a smoother or faster pedal than the Trick (including the DW 9000). It's remarkable.

And just to hijack, I also recently got a DW 9000 cable hi-hat. I think it's as responsive as a regular hi-hat stand. I love technological progress.

Hey, thanks for the compliment! I haven't watched TV in almost ten years either. And I tend to read very big books with long words.

Interesting. Are you training to be one of those British Guards? I heard they have to not watch TV for a certain amount of time to be appointed one.

I have the 9002s and they are sweet but I totally agree with Flam_Taps..

.. I put up my 7000 pedal more than anything else because I'm lazy, it's lighter, cheaper, etc.. If it gets damaged, lost or stolen, I won't be as upset.

I started playing in the mid 70's so when you came up during the "Crappy Pedal Years" you just learned to worry about other stuff.

I thought I was a genius because I nailed a 4x4 to the riser to keep my drums from sliding forward.

Has anybody ever tried the Giant Big Step Twin Effect Pedal?

Back