Puresound Custom Pros: does the clip still slip through?

I installed the custom pros yesterday, during my gig last night the snares kept loosening so I had to keep cranking the snares up with the tuning knob. Finally one of the pins let go. Today I switched out the straps and cotter pins for regular cable and played my afternoon gig and no issues at all? I admit I struggle sometimes changing snare wires but I was sure they were installed correctly. Snare sounded great and I like the custom pro snare wires, I just think I will keep using the cable now that it's installed and the snare sounds great.

I've made the decision to start tuning my snare lower, in general, for one reason. I'm usually wearing ear muffs when I play, which cuts down on high frequencies. So the snare never sounds as high as it really is. I almost never hear my kit without them on. Well, I realized how insanely high pitched it really is, and it could definitely stand to come down a bit. I just picked up my tune bot, and tuned it to 366 on both heads when I got home. It sounds beautiful, and plenty high pitched

That's something I haven't thought of in a long, long time: my drums are actually higher sounding than what I hear with my ear plugs in (and I only have Hearos High Fidelity plugs which have a fairly good flat attenuation). Although, my ear plugs seems to simulate what my drums sound like in the mix.

I might have to try both snare heads at the same pitch. You're not the first person to tell me that it's ok to have both snare heads at the same pitch! I don't know where I learned that the snare side should be higher, but it definitely wasn't Bob Gatzen. I just watched his tuning video recently because I was bored, and I was shocked to hear him recommeding having the snare side tuned lower than the batter! I mean, he had it like a perfect third or fifth lower than the batter.

Anyway, I love how things work out. Now the fun will be if the band or anyone else notices the different sound that your snare produces. Or, maybe you could play dumb and ask like, "Hey, does my snare sound any different to you?" :)

Oh, and of course: I congratulate you on your purchase. There are 2 other things I love about this thing, and the first one I discovered within the last hour. If I'm trying to do a task that I'm not particularly enjoying, then I tend to have great difficulty giving it my undivided attention. This is one of the things that makes tuning by ear more difficult for me. I lose my concentration and my patience far too easily when tuning, but the tune-bot changes all that for the better. I no longer have to worry about it. It's no longer constantly in my sub-conscious, weighing me down.

The 2nd thing is, I forgot to mention that the tune-bot also has a battery meter that looks exactly like the one in most mobile devices.

I installed the custom pros yesterday, during my gig last night the snares kept loosening so I had to keep cranking the snares up with the tuning knob. Finally one of the pins let go. Today I switched out the straps and cotter pins for regular cable and played my afternoon gig and no issues at all? I admit I struggle sometimes changing snare wires but I was sure they were installed correctly. Snare sounded great and I like the custom pro snare wires, I just think I will keep using the cable now that it's installed and the snare sounds great.

Oh no. Then I will have to wait and see. If it happens to me, then I'll be contacting Bob Gatzen because he's the one who invented this thing. I might even contact him anyway to tell him about all the people I've seen reporting that the pins slips through.

Actually, in addition to that, I'll go see if I can find bigger ones, which are typically called R-clips, R-pins, hairpin cotter pin, hairpin cotter, bridge pin, hitch pin, or spring cotter pin Either that, or I might try to find something else that's longer or thicker so that it can't slip through. I don't understand why they chose pins that are just like a millimeter wider than the slot or why they couldn't make the slot only wide enough for the strap!

Anyway, thank you for the heads up!

That's something I haven't thought of in a long, long time: my drums are actually higher sounding than what I hear with my ear plugs in (and I only have Hearos High Fidelity plugs which have a fairly good flat attenuation). Although, my ear plugs seems to simulate what my drums sound like in the mix.

I play live with Earasers, and they have a very accurate attenuation, but there's always so much else going on at once, that I don't get a good concept of what they really sound like.

I might have to try both snare heads at the same pitch. You're not the first person to tell me that it's ok to have both snare heads at the same pitch! I don't know where I learned that the snare side should be higher, but it definitely wasn't Bob Gatzen. I just watched his tuning video recently because I was bored, and I was shocked to hear him recommeding having the snare side tuned lower than the batter! I mean, he had it like a perfect third or fifth lower than the batter.

There's no real right or wrong way to do it. I just like having both heads the same on everything. I want my drums sounding as open and resonant as possible. Except for the kick drum. I have the resonant head a fifth higher.

Oh, and of course: I congratulate you on your purchase. There are 2 other things I love about this thing, and the first one I discovered within the last hour. If I'm trying to do a task that I'm not particularly enjoying, then I tend to have great difficulty giving it my undivided attention. This is one of the things that makes tuning by ear more difficult for me. I lose my concentration and my patience far too easily when tuning, but the tune-bot changes all that for the better. I no longer have to worry about it. It's no longer constantly in my sub-conscious, weighing me down.

I have the same problem. If I have something more interactive to give me a better gauge of what's going on, I'll pay attention and actually enjoy doing it.

The 2nd thing is, I forgot to mention that the tune-bot also has a battery meter that looks exactly like the one in most mobile devices.

I didn't notice that at first. That's really rad

I play live with Earasers, and they have a very accurate attenuation, but there's always so much else going on at once, that I don't get a good concept of what they really sound like.

Oh, it's funny that you mentioned those. I own a pair myself that I purchased on Sept. 29th, but either they're too small for me or I prefer the sound coloration of the Hearos High Fidelity plugs. I mean, the Earasers remind me of what the High Fidelity plugs can sound like if I don't insert them properly, meaning that the sound is escaping by on the sides in my ear canal. So, either that's what's happening with my Earasers, or they're just that good. I'm not sure. Either way, I enjoy the sound of my drums more with my High Fidelity plugs because it gives them kind an "in the mix" sound, or an EQ'd sound. With the Earasers, well, lol I have the cheap Stage Customs from 1997. The mids seem to be stronger than the highs and the lows on these drums, so yeah. :)

There's no real right or wrong way to do it. I just like having both heads the same on everything. I want my drums sounding as open and resonant as possible. Except for the kick drum. I have the resonant head a fifth higher.

It's funny how even after all these years, I still apply rules to some of my drums. "Oh, my snare has to be tuned this way, otherwise it won't produce a good sound". lol

I have the same problem. If I have something more interactive to give me a better gauge of what's going on, I'll pay attention and actually enjoy doing it.

Interesting. Then perhaps you'll enjoy the tune-bot for similar reasons!

I didn't notice that at first. That's really rad

Yeah, I watched several videos before I bought mine but I didn't notice it until I powered mine on. lol I sat there going, "Now how cool is that?" Maybe I'm easily amused, but I think that's genius.

Oh, it's funny that you mentioned those. I own a pair myself that I purchased on Sept. 29th, but either they're too small for me or I prefer the sound coloration of the Hearos High Fidelity plugs. I mean, the Earasers remind me of what the High Fidelity plugs can sound like if I don't insert them properly, meaning that the sound is escaping by on the sides in my ear canal.

That's odd. I've never had that problem. I'm going to guess that yours aren't the correct size.

I've only had mine for a couple of months, and the filter, along with the little 'string' thing to pull the left one out of my ear just pulled out of the plug one day after a practice, while I was trying to pull the plug out. It was a pain to get the plug out of my ear without the thing. I was really bummed about that, but it's nothing that a little super glue couldn't fix.

It's funny how even after all these years, I still apply rules to some of my drums. "Oh, my snare has to be tuned this way, otherwise it won't produce a good sound". lol

I do that sometimes, as well. Sometimes the 'guidelines', if you will, are very helpful, but sometimes they can prevent you from getting the results you want. From time to time, you just have to forget what you've been told and just use your intuition.

That's odd. I've never had that problem. I'm going to guess that yours aren't the correct size.

I've only had mine for a couple of months, and the filter, along with the little 'string' thing to pull the left one out of my ear just pulled out of the plug one day after a practice, while I was trying to pull the plug out. It was a pain to get the plug out of my ear without the thing. I was really bummed about that, but it's nothing that a little super glue couldn't fix.

To top it off, I e-mailed Persona Medical ([email protected]) about this on September 29th and they never replied.

I do that sometimes, as well. Sometimes the 'guidelines', if you will, are very helpful, but sometimes they can prevent you from getting the results you want. From time to time, you just have to forget what you've been told and just use your intuition.

lol Indeed!

Back