Istanbul Agop Picture-Fest

So what will this logo replace on the cymbals Stan? Surely not the "Istanbul" written across the top? I gotta say i don't think that will look the best...

This is the new pressed cymbal stamp Latin Groover from what I gather. I suspect the larger ink logo to be some kind of a variation on it {or the same?} since the cymbals will simply be known as AGOP in 09. We'll all have to wait till NAMM 09 to see how it appears as an actual ink logo on the cymbals {?}.

I like it and it will give a clear visual distinction what are Agop cymbals and since the factory in Istanbul. Turkey isn't moving to a new location anytime soon the removal of "Istanbul" from the stamp/logo is no big deal :}. No more mix up on is it a Istanbul Mehmet or a Istanbul Agop after a brief glance. The new logo still has "HANDMADE IN TURKEY" in it so I can certainly live with it :}

This is the new pressed cymbal stamp Latin Groover from what I gather. I suspect the larger ink logo to be some kind of a variation on it {or the same?} since the cymbals will simply be known as AGOP in 09. We'll all have to wait till NAMM 09 to see how it appears as an actual ink logo on the cymbals {?}.

I like it and it will give a clear visual distinction what are Agop cymbals and since the factory in Istanbul. Turkey isn't moving to a new location anytime soon the removal of "Istanbul" from the stamp/logo is no big deal :}. No more mix up on is it a Istanbul Mehmet or a Istanbul Agop after a brief glance. The new logo still has "HANDMADE IN TURKEY" in it so I can certainly live with it :}

Well if this logo is replacing the big pressed logo across the top...i don't like it. haha. I think it's far too petite, and not as eye-catching. I like the big "Istanbul" across the top, with AGOP underneath. Of course they are similar to Mehmet, with "Mehmet" simply replacing AGOP, but I don't think they need to change. The fact is they are two separate companies of the same history, why try the 'we are our own' road when it means this logo? Yes, they are their own company, but they don't need this logo to show that.

Well if this logo is replacing the big pressed logo across the top...i don't like it. haha. I think it's far too petite, and not as eye-catching. I like the big "Istanbul" across the top, with AGOP underneath. Of course they are similar to Mehmet, with "Mehmet" simply replacing AGOP, but I don't think they need to change. The fact is they are two separate companies of the same history, why try the 'we are our own' road when it means this logo? Yes, they are their own company, but they don't need this logo to show that.

My guess is that Agop's 2 son's Arman + Sarkis Tomurcuk felt the need for a strong identity to the current AGOP name and their products since the Istanbul Mehmet and Istanbul Agop big ink font types were nearly identical in visual appearence since 97. This desire for a new logo/stamp I can understand and since the handmade quality and location of where they are made will remain unchanged this "change" and new Agop identity going into 09 is just fine with me. Change is good :}

My guess is that Agop's 2 son's Arman + Sarkis Tomurcuk felt the need for a strong identity to the current AGOP name and their products since the Istanbul Mehmet and Istanbul Agop big ink font types were nearly identical in visual appearence since 97. This desire for a new logo/stamp I can understand and since the handmade quality and location of where they are made will remain unchanged this "change" and new Agop identity going into 09 is just fine with me. Change is good :}

Yes, it was only a matter of time before one of the companies decided that the AGOP and Mehmet logos where too similar, but i'm just not a fan of the new design.

Yes, I believe they are tired of people assuming AGOP and Mehmet are one in the same because they both have Istanbul in the names. There is a lot of history there and they are ready to move on away from it. NAMM 2009 will have some other good things as well. I was going to attend, but now it looks like I will have to skip it this year.

19" SE Jazz Ride 1682g

Front, back and profile:

Attachments

• 19 SE Jazz Ride{front} 1682g.jpg
    19 SE Jazz Ride{front} 1682g.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 820
  • 19 SE Jazz Ride {back} 1682g.jpg
    19 SE Jazz Ride {back} 1682g.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 855
  • 19 SE Jazz Ride profile.jpg
    19 SE Jazz Ride profile.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 815
Last edited:
Nice ride, Stan.

I really like the SEs in "smaller" sizes. I have two 20"- one at 1617g and the other at 1702g. Surprisingly strong stick at those weights.

Nice ride, Stan.

I really like the SEs in "smaller" sizes. I have two 20"- one at 1617g and the other at 1702g. Surprisingly strong stick at those weights.

Thanks Bill and i'm now sold too on the smaller SE rides indeed as you've already discovered.

The stick sound truly is a real standout Bill over a very old Turkish K like vibe with a very under control dark wash. Incredible blend in actual music with other instruments as I discovered yesterday and WAY lower in pitch and darker than many would expect coming from a 19" 1682g ride cymbal. Great pie!

19" SE Jazz Ride 1682g

As always it has a flat profile. A quite light SE!
I`d love to listen to it. I`m not used to ride cymbals smaller than 21" and I`m wondering how such a cymbal would work with my other pies.
I`m really flirting with those 20" SE Flatties though...moreover I really dig the SE hats as a contrast to my Turks...eventually. =)

What do you think?

Karl

I`d love to listen to it. I`m not used to ride cymbals smaller than 21" and I`m wondering how such a cymbal would work with my other pies.
I`m really flirting with those 20" SE Flatties though...moreover I really dig the SE hats as a contrast to my Turks...eventually. =)

What do you think?

Karl

I think you would LOVE the sound of this 19" SE for acoustic jazz Karl. A little more in the way of sounds coming from it by having the bell combined with its flat profile. Has a certain flatride quality to the stick in the mix but with other desirable qualities due to having a bell.

What do you think?

Karl

Karl, admit it you have a problem!
Mine is even thinner, 20" at 1581g!
I was contemplating picking a 19" instead of a 20", and i will get one i really like the 18" and 19" SE, but not before my 25th and Epoch...

What do you think?

Karl

Karl,

The SE hats are terrific. However, the Mel Lewis and Traditional hats are awesome, too. Since you're playing a 21" Mel and a 22" Sig, perhaps a super-thin SE in 18", 19", or 20" would fit your setup, whether it's a flat or a regular ride. On the other hand, an 18" or 20" Paiste Traditionals thin crash could be a good fit. Then again, have you heard the Bosphorus Master Turks? Quite a contrast to the Agops.

Decision, decisions!

Karl, admit it you have a problem!
Mine is even thinner, 20" at 1581g!
I was contemplating picking a 19" instead of a 20", and i will get one i really like the 18" and 19" SE, but not before my 25th and Epoch...

Like i've said before Latin Groover there is no known cure for the Agop addiction condition as our friend Karl is starting to feel the grip of :}

Good luck with your future choices guys and keep your eyes on NAMM 09 for some further "surprises" the good people at Agop have in store.

Yes, indeed the addiction is taking over. =)
That`s okay, I know that my budget is limited especially since I ordered the kit.

However, I`d really love some different hats like some 13" or 14" SE ones or another Ride cymbal. I`ve checked out those Master Turks from time to time but it can`t - like Paistes - replace a mellow sounding Agop Flattie or an Agop Turk in my opinion.

Furthermore I`m not sure whether I should replace my 22" K Custom Dry Light Ride as it works so well in Big Band settings, Pop stuff or even in small combos. If I do, I`d need a similar ride to this...something like a Turk I guess.

What do you think?

Thanks for everything!

Karl

Yes, indeed the addiction is taking over. =)
That`s okay, I know that my budget is limited especially since I ordered the kit.

However, I`d really love some different hats like some 13" or 14" SE ones or another Ride cymbal. I`ve checked out those Master Turks from time to time but it can`t - like Paistes - replace a mellow sounding Agop Flattie or an Agop Turk in my opinion.

Furthermore I`m not sure whether I should replace my 22" K Custom Dry Light Ride as it works so well in Big Band settings, Pop stuff or even in small combos. If I do, I`d need a similar ride to this...something like a Turk I guess.

What do you think?

Thanks for everything!

Karl

Alternate hats = heavier pair of Green label Sigs say around top-1025g bottom-1200g :}

Big Band ride supreme = beefier Epoch say around 3055g :}

Woah Steamer you have a bunch of Istanbul's! Let me ask all you Istanbul users a question. If I wanted to purchase a set of Istanbul cymbals (Hats, 2 Crashes and Ride) which would you recommend? I play Punk in my band, but I will have another set of cymbals (my Sabians) for that. At home I like to jam to funk, rock, metal, jazz, whatever. I am looking for a nice versatile set of cymbals. I think the Traditional series sounds very nice. What do you all think? Thanks.

Woah Steamer you have a bunch of Istanbul's! Let me ask all you Istanbul users a question. If I wanted to purchase a set of Istanbul cymbals (Hats, 2 Crashes and Ride) which would you recommend? I play Punk in my band, but I will have another set of cymbals (my Sabians) for that. At home I like to jam to funk, rock, metal, jazz, whatever. I am looking for a nice versatile set of cymbals. I think the Traditional series sounds very nice. What do you all think? Thanks.

Various cymbals from the Azure, Traditional and Alchemy lines, lots of choices available. Check every sound file you can find on the net or a store with actual samples to hear in the flesh and let your ear be your guide for your music. The Azures are the current true sleepers from Agop which sound great in louder applications especially the heavier weight 22" rides and the med. thin weight 16" and 18" crashes. Around here alot of heavy hitters play Sultans {whole series} and some lesser known cymbals such as the heavy Pasha ride. The Alchemy Pro series is very popular with the metal guys too as are many of the cymbals from the Traditional line.

Hey guys. When I get my job, I WILL be buying some Agops! I have decided on the following cymbals to buy.

Sultan 15" Hats
Traditional 18" Dark Crash
Traditional 22" Medium Ride

That will be my setup. Sound good? I'll get pics up when I have em'.

Hey guys. When I get my job, I WILL be buying some Agops! I have decided on the following cymbals to buy.

Sultan 15" Hats
Traditional 18" Dark Crash
Traditional 22" Medium Ride

That will be my setup. Sound good? I'll get pics up when I have em'.

Sounds great! Good choices for the type of music you play. You're in good company with many players here in Canada who have chosen similar Agop pies for the same type of application.

Post some comments/impressions and some pics when you recieve them down the road.

Back