Nicko McBrain

i love how he can use his right foot like a double bass pedal almost, its incredible in some songs. another good thing is im going to see them in december!! :)

Nicko Fan said:
Me too, plus my friend's uncle is one of Nicko's mate, so I may be getting backstage pass
man i hate you is there any chance i can kidnap you so i can ask for a ransom like let say i vip ticket for their concert

Re: Nicko Mcbrain

Stu_Strib said:
When I was young, I thought he was the best ever. Then I grew up and realized he wasn't. Now that I'm even older, I realize, I really prefer the simpler slower, less bass-drummy metal that he is so good at over the stuff today.

I saw him in concert in 1990 and he was upstaged big time by the drummer from Anthrax. Matter of fact, he was pretty bad. The fact that I remember that far back means it was insanely good, or not so good. It was bad, now that I think about it.

Other than the occassional Maiden release (a couple in the past 10 years) what does he play on?

We all get better with age, don't we?

What he's using is not a gong.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT''S NOT A GONG.

PERHAPS YOU WOULD LIKE TO EMAIL PAISTE AND TELL THEM THAT

symphonic_36.jpg

This is what Nicko has and It is called a Paiste Symphonic Gong

Nicko McBrain is a huge influence on me. I love his drumming, it's awesome, very heavy but can be very groovy. Aces High is the best Maiden song of all time!!!

Maiden have always been a huge influence on me.

I've been listening to them forever.

Where Eagles Dare has such a cool groove...

I have a drum video the Nicko put out many years back... with Maiden fan club members in attendance.. I must dig for it now.

;-)

Nicko is my fav drummer dammnit!! But has only been for 2 moths, so I dont know everything. But what I want to know is this. Does he trigger his bass drums when playing live?

hmm. i have lots of different opinions about nicko.. sometimes i really really like hes playing .. but i STILL think clive burr is better .. the sound from his toms on the latest ironmaiden live dvd is really really bad in my opinion btw. if any one got some pictures of clive burr's drum kits from the last tour he did, i would love to see them.. in the live cd's i got i dont get to hear his octobans being used.(though i doubt they will sound as great as stewart copelands octobans) and im really curius if they were only used in a solo.. and i really like his setup.. i also like nickos.. hell, i like all the huge drumkits.. even the odd one from dream theater.. where eagles dare is my favorite nicko track.. and also aces high....

Last edited:
Nicko Fan said:
Can you explain Trigger the bass drum?

as far as i know.. Ddrum makes them.. it makes the sound of the drums "bigger". so they apparently dont have to hit them so hard.

No I don't think he does use triggers. He is an old fashoned drummer, that's why he doesn't play double kick.

I think this guy really grooves woth his ride and bass drum, nice fills also. He's got a sweet a touch on his hi hat and ride bell also.

I would've liked to hear him in other ventures than Maiden to see how creative he can get in another context

I saw Nicko this weekend at the Guitar show 2006 in London.

Nicko only played one Maiden song Run to the hills and Bruce Dickinson sang it.

The other songs he played were classic Rock, Deep Purple,Jimmy Hendrix,Queen, and a song called all the Young dudes which I don't know who did it. Nicko was very good, showing off where he could with triplets and accents, and trying to play all the kit in every song. Although I didn't like his version of Tie your mother down, he didn't stop where Taylor did and played Cymbals crashed where there weren't any.

Ta Nicko Fan

P.s Sonor fans will be pleased to know that although his kit was a Premier, the Snare he was using was one or his old Phonic snare drums. Nicko said that he had got it out of retirement to use it for the new album, and had just recorded the first 5 tracks on it.

6102910.47cc95.jpg

drumlive_05_1.jpg

014lg.jpg

Hey, I really want to know what people think about this guy! He's incredibly underated and I believe of is one of the pionners modern metal drumming, even though he uses a single pedal! His rhythm work with Iron Maiden's bassist, Steve Harris is outstanding!

Tracks to check out:
The Wicker Man
Where Eagles Dare
The Trooper

All of Rock In Rio Live album! wow!!

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Nicko_McBrain.html

Highway_St*r said:
Hey, I really want to know what people think about this guy! He's incredibly underated and I believe of is one of the pionners modern metal drumming, even though he uses a single pedal! His rhythm work with Iron Maiden's bassist, Steve Harris is outstanding!

Tracks to check out:
The Wicker Man
Where Eagles Dare
The Trooper

All of Rock In Rio Live album! wow!!

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Nicko_McBrain.html

haha!
I'm sorry but that statement just makes me laugh. To be able to play like he does, with only one pedal, deserves nothing less then a whole lot of credit, imo.
Nicko is one of my fav drummers, and I really like the drumming on "run to the hills".

nicko didn't play on run to the hills or on the entire number of the beast album. that was clive burr.

Back