Reso head

I play coated Evans g2s. Any one ever use coated two plys on top and bottom? What should I expect? I have 9x13 and 16x16 maple 8 ply with a 45 bearing edge. What should I expect?

I'm not sure why it's the hip new thing to have resos thinner than your batters, but I've always used the same weight head top and bottom (bass drum is different,of course, as is the snare drum). In fact, I've used Ambassadors, Emperors, G1's, G2's, pinstripes, black dots, fiberskyns....you name it. I want the bottom reso to vibrate at the same pitch, and I tend to get a full sound out of the drum that I like. Sometimes I hear drums with a two-ply on top and a thin single ply on the bottom and it sounds ok, but not as meaty to my ears. If you like meaty, you've made the right choice.

Although I've been fooled too by guys having 2-ply tops and 1-ply bottoms and they also sound meaty as well. It's all how you tune and play, as well.

Have you ever used coated as resos?

Yep. And the nice thing about coated resos is the pitch is even lower because that's what the coating does. Of course, you can crank up any kind of heads on any kind of drum and make them high pitched, but when you go with a bit thicker head that is coated on both, your timbre sounds more drum-like and less plasticky. I'm currently using coated Emperors on top now and clear Emperors on the bottoms.

I use and prefer (1 ply) coated for both batter and reso.
A 2 ply reso will get your fatter low end if ALL other factors the same.
But there's no rules, make the sound that you want, just takes a little trial and error.
I quite like the Remo black centre dot ones as resos too.

Back