Just bought a new set

xnemorax

Just got a PDP Platinum Emerald to Black fade set from GC along with a nice DW 9000 dual tom stand, and some nice hard cases for each of them, not to mention a 7x13 Pork Pie Squealer. Now the stock heads are not the best on the PDP and needs changed.

I was looking at the forums for more information about the Ebony Emporers by Remo and found a few posts, but none really answered my question. I play more of a metal/youth crew/hardcore kind of style of music, medium to heavy hitter, and would love to have a nice deep thud with about 1-2 seconds of sustain in the end for my toms. I'm somewhat unsure about the bass drum on my needs, but I am mainly focused on getting the toms to sound right because that has been my downfall for the past 8 years of drumming.

Currently everything on the set is stock heads, and before I start jamming and recording with my newly formed band, i need to hurry and replace at least most of the heads. Money isn't TOO much of a problem if in return I have a satisfying sound.

If anyone could possibly direct me in the right direction whether these heads are what I am looking for, or if I need to search elsewhere, that would be most appreciative.

-Chris

Thanks in advanced. =D

And right after I post this, someone answered a few of my questions in a post 2 hours ago. I feel like a douche. Haha. Anyways, if anyone has an input if I should get these for the type of set I have (Maple btw, forgot to mention) that would be awesome. If not, steer me towards something that would be more in my line of genre.

try coated emps on snares very good for me so far and maybe a vintage A on sanre or Ambassador or Controlled sound coated, all good snare heads

Just got a PDP Platinum Emerald to Black fade set from GC along with a nice DW 9000 dual tom stand, and some nice hard cases for each of them, not to mention a 7x13 Pork Pie Squealer. Now the stock heads are not the best on the PDP and needs changed.

I was looking at the forums for more information about the Ebony Emporers by Remo and found a few posts, but none really answered my question. I play more of a metal/youth crew/hardcore kind of style of music, medium to heavy hitter, and would love to have a nice deep thud with about 1-2 seconds of sustain in the end for my toms. I'm somewhat unsure about the bass drum on my needs, but I am mainly focused on getting the toms to sound right because that has been my downfall for the past 8 years of drumming.

Currently everything on the set is stock heads, and before I start jamming and recording with my newly formed band, i need to hurry and replace at least most of the heads. Money isn't TOO much of a problem if in return I have a satisfying sound.

If anyone could possibly direct me in the right direction whether these heads are what I am looking for, or if I need to search elsewhere, that would be most appreciative.

-Chris

Thanks in advanced. =D

JUST FYI to anyone that is curious. I went ahead and spent the money to purchase the black suede emporers for my 4 toms (10,12,14,16) and if you take the time to actually fine tune these, they are so heart warming and thick when you lay into one. Back in the day I was always used to using a ring or something and when upgrading my set to a platinum series and using these heads, I was stunned at how real, thick and beautiful these heads sound on my drumset.

Looks like I got a head that I will be sticking with for years. Thanks Remo =D

JUST FYI to anyone that is curious. I went ahead and spent the money to purchase the black suede emporers for my 4 toms (10,12,14,16) and if you take the time to actually fine tune these, they are so heart warming and thick when you lay into one. Back in the day I was always used to using a ring or something and when upgrading my set to a platinum series and using these heads, I was stunned at how real, thick and beautiful these heads sound on my drumset.

Looks like I got a head that I will be sticking with for years. Thanks Remo =D

What do you mean "if you take the time to fine tune these". Tuning requires fine tuning regardless of what head you use. Where you one of those who used silver duct tape all over your kit.

I always looked at the ebony heads as more of a asthetic head. They are what a 2 ply 7.5mil versus a Emp coated 2ply 7mil. How different is the coating versus a regular Emp?

Well I say fine tunning because it took a while to get these guys in tune compared to other heads I have used. But honestly, I started with an old school Rockwood set which was like 300 bucks.. Haha so fine tunning that dude did no good no matter what kind of head you put on it. And I never got into duct tape because it looked tacky, but I did however use gels in the early years and switched to rings later on. So I was just stunned that I did not need to use any of that and get about a 5 second sustain, which is great for the genre im playing in. It was a hell alot easier to tune the 10 inch rather than the 14 or 16 though. Those are still just slightly off and I need to get back to those soon.

As for the emporers, I honestly think there is more of a thicker tone that comes out of it, but not too much of a difference. I read a lil bit on how it will automatically cut some of the sustain out and I believe it works to a small degree, but I would recommend these heads for mainly Metal/Hardcore/Rock genres more than anything. Just my opinion though, because I'm sure others can pull them off with different styles easily.

How different is the coating versus a regular Emp?

Sorry forgot to answer this question.

From what I notice, it's not really a coating but some sort of material MIXED in with the head.. which is the best way i can describe it.. It even feels differently. I would honestly say there are more like 3 main genres, Clear, Coated, and Suede, because its definitely different than a regular coated emperor even by texture.

ALSO: To answer other peoples question I have seen, These in fact DO NOT rub off onto your stick, and onto your cymbals. It leaves somewhat black marks on the head, but you get that with white coated too just from the head being hit there.

I honestly recommend them.

What do you mean "if you take the time to fine tune these". Tuning requires fine tuning regardless of what head you use. Where you one of those who used silver duct tape all over your kit.

I always looked at the ebony heads as more of a asthetic head. They are what a 2 ply 7.5mil versus a Emp coated 2ply 7mil. How different is the coating versus a regular Emp?

The suedes are not coated. The mylar is chemically treated/ sandblasted/something to achieve the texture. I prefer the the ambassador weight white suede heads myself. They are a nice blend of warmth(coated) and attack(clears).

Ebony heads also have a tendency to have a darker tone to them compared to a clear head.

Ebony heads also have a tendency to have a darker tone to them compared to a clear head.

I prefer the darker tones. =) And honestly, from the looks of my set (emerald green to a black fade satin oil) The heads look amazing which is an added bonus to the sound.

Back