Best cymbal hard cases available

Stitch Kaboodle

Just wondering if anyone could recommend a good hard case for my cymbals. There are plenty to chose from but ideally I'd like one with a compartment for my other stuff - ie: Drum keys, sticks, setlist, attenuators etc.

Any ideas.

I have two Zildjian "cymbal safe" cases and they're my favorite. I have Enduro drum cases, and they're durable...so I'm sure that their cymbal cases are just as good.

I have two Zildjian "cymbal safe" cases and they're my favorite. I have Enduro drum cases, and they're durable...so I'm sure that their cymbal cases are just as good.

I've seen the Zildjian cases and they are good. In fact, I kind of like them better then the Enduro because the Enduro is pretty bulky and the Zildjian case has a smaller profile, although they hold just as much. On the other hand, the Enduro case does give extra room for accessories if you want to toss those in.

I've seen the Zildjian cases and they are good.

Mine's pretty weak. It keeps of coming apart at the edges because it's only attached at the center with one bolt and one screw. It's not really bad, but still, it could be better. There may be a Sabian one that's really good. I think it's held together at more than one place.

Mine's pretty weak. It keeps of coming apart at the edges because it's only attached at the center with one bolt and one screw. It's not really bad, but still, it could be better. There may be a Sabian one that's really good. I think it's held together at more than one place.

Sounds like you got a bad one, because I've had my first cymbal safe for close to 7 years now and it's still good as new. And I got a lot of weight in mine...5 crashes, 1 ride, 2 chinas, 2 splashes, and set of hi hats. Aside from all the scuff marks from being lugged around (and thrown around), it's still in good shape.

Deathmetal, I agree with you on the Enduro case. A friend of mine has one and it just seems too bulky, but it's made by a good company.

Sounds like you got a bad one, because I've had my first cymbal safe for close to 7 years now and it's still good as new.

Does your center bolt have any plastic or rubber on it? Mine's just bare metal and I'm not sure if it's supposed to be like that.

both of mine have a bare metal bolt.

I used to have a bare metal bolt on mine but I went to the hardware store. For 20 cents a foot you can get clear plastic tubing (I think it's 3/8" inside diameter) that will slip over the bolt and you can cut it with a razor. While cymbals don't spend much time in the transport case, they have all their weight resting on the bolt and it's not a bad idea to pad the bolt a bit.

I also went to this place locally that makes custom gaskets and they gave me like 10 discs of flexible neoprene rubber, each disc about a foot in diameter (they were going to throw them away) and a sixteenth of an inch thick. I cut holes into the center of each disc and I put the discs between the cymbals. It adds more weight and takes up more room, but the Enduro case can take it and there is no metal-on-metal contact. I have a 20 ride, 18 china, 13 hats, 17 crash, 12 spash and 8 splash in there and sometimes more.

I have a few questions for you guys regarding my new Gator Cymbal Hard Case (GP-22PE)

Q1: The case just closes with the help of a center post bolt.. when lifted from the handle, the edges bend out and that scares me a little. Is that a problem?

Q2: Is there a way you can use a lock for safety reasons on the hard case, because I'll have to put it in cargo when I am flying?

gator_gp-22-pe.jpg

I use the SKB cymbal case. I like it a lot better than my Zildjian one since it has wheels and an extending carrying handle. It's much easier than lugging around a plain hard case with a simple handle.

I'm a big fan of the SKB cymbal cases. The 24" model I have has a pull out handle and wheels, but the downside of that is it doesn't "stack" with other SKB cases. The 22" model I have lacks the handle/wheels, but stacks nicely on top of the bass drum case and keeps the floor tom case from causing the top of the bass drum case to start dipping in.

Bought an Istanbul Agop 30th Anniversary 24" ride. Along with my other cymbals, I would like to get a hard case that would protect the cymbals. I would like wheels, the case to be able to stand up on its own, and not be too heavy.

I was looking at some cases and they seem to have a design using a center post that tightens down, with thin small diameter separation pads. The pads do not seem to be large enough or thick enough to protect each cymbal from knocking around and together. The whole system is focused on how tight you can make the center post nut and you must leave that center post in tension all the time. I am currently using a protection racket bag. Is there a hard case that would offer better protection that any of you know of?

But, it doesn't seem like I will be going anywhere for at least another month due to the pandemic and vaccinations.

Back