DW 5000 help

Lee-Cox

So my wife went online to GC and purchased a used double bass pedal for me without knowing there were different models of the 5000 series and now I have a quick question. As I do not have them yet all she has shown me was this one picture of them. And of course Im excited because its something ive wanted to try. But after researching the guitar center add about them. It doesnt give a model. So can any of you help me with this pic and determine what model they are? Ive even called GC and asked them and they just said they were 5002s??? I have no idea about the dw models. The way the pedals look. It looks like there may be different generations of these. Is this correct???? Im really sorry for the poor pic. But this is all I have. Thanks again. Lee

Attachments

• dw.jpg
    dw.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 977
I'm not an expert, so don't quote me on this.

I have a DW5000. The '5002' moniker is simply the designation for the double version of the 5000. It looks a lot like my model - which would make it a 2000s-era model. Nothing in the photograph suggests to me that there is any discontinuity between your pedals - they look like they 'belong'. The earlier 5000 models have single chains and a more obvious waist on the footboard - they look a lot more like the Camco pedal that they were originally based upon. The 5000 series hasn't had a significant design change for years (since the 90s).

The fundamental question is: 'Does it work?' If it does - no problem!

When I look up pics of the 5000s I see some that say chain drive on them. Some say made in usa. And mine say the drummers choice. And now there is a turbo version???? Thats what has me so confused. And this Im seeing on all the pedals
Also where the pedal attatches to the heel plate. Im seeing some with a silver hinge, and a black hinge.

Last edited:
Right.

The 'Turbo' designation is the cam shape. 'Turbo' is a round cam, 'Accelerator' is a non-linear cam (faster at the end of the throw) and there are chain-drive (what you have) and strap-driven variants. I can't tell if your pedal is the 'Turbo' or the 'Accelerator' variant from the picture you posted but it's definitely a chain-drive 5002. What you have is the standard modern variant of the pedal in a double-pedal configuration - the most common version. The hinge the standard 'modern' hinge.

From my memory, the 'Made in USA' embossing exists on the older generation of the pedal. They had a number of small differences: single-chain, a different hinge, a different shape to the footboard and a number of other small variations.

Aw man, you have been so much help. I really do appreciatte your time. Thanks again for the response. Ive never tried a double pedal until now. But my speed king will always be there just incase I dont like it. Thanks again Lee

No problem.

The 5000s have a very long history. Fortunately, they don't change a huge amount and the generational differences are quite obvious. It's a golden chalice for DW - the 5000 stays the same whilst just about every other pedal they make either changes name or specifications very regularly.

Just as an aside point, DW still make the 'old' variant of the 5000 pedal as the 2000 series. The old 5000 is what the 2000 is now - essentially. They've changed the ordering of their ranges quite a lot in the last couple of years. It used to be that the 7000 was the 'old' 5000, which was confusing for a lot of customers. DW reordered the line-up so that the numbers were in order of prestige, which causes me a headache because I'm used to the old - slightly confusing - number system!

So thats it!!! Ya know it weird you say that. Ive always assumed a higher number meant a newer model. And as ive seen 7000 series pedals for under 150 bucks and the 5000s are bringing much bigger money. Even seen 8000s for cheap money. It seems the 5000s and of course the 9000 stuff seems to be very popular

That's why they changed it!

It used to go (from memory): 2000-4000-7000-5000-9000. Anyone can feel free to correct me on the numbers, it's been a while. The 8000 series were a pedal that slotted between the 5000 and 9000 in their range but they were only made for a couple of years - presumably because nobody bought them. With the 5000 and 9000 series, a lot of it comes down to personal preference (I like the 5000, the 9000 is too complicated for me) and the 8000 was too close to the 9000 to have a market niche.

The 7000 was actually a superb pedal. I really liked them and the only significant difference between the 5000 and 7000 was the hinge.

It was all very confusing but I'm confused by the new system because the 'old' system was in place when I made my first forays into drumming.

What a learning lesson this has been. This is my first swing with DW. Ive actually just got to use the 5000 two legged hi hat stand and was very impressed with it. So impressed that it might be my next investment. Thanks for all the help with my confusion.

Hey yeah thanks for all the insight into DW very helpful.

I'm also looking at getting the DW 5002 ad4 pedals and I was hoping I could get some help with comparing the dw 9002 vs the 5002's. Feature for feature.

For eg. Do the 5002's also have an independant rotating shaft like the 9002's and do the 5002's come with an adjustable cam like the 9000 series?

Also was wondering how you guys thought the Iron Cobra 900 power glide compared to the 5000's seeing as they seem to be in the similar range both pricing and Build.

Thanks

I've got both the 5 and the 9. There's not much difference between the 5000 and 9000, just one costs alot more, is more heavy duty, and has a smoother action. Unless you're on a big gig, you don't need the extra features a 9000 has. The 5000 does the job.

Lee -

You can go to DW's web site and download schematics and manuals for their pedals if you need additional help.

Back