Happy Veterans Day

Muckster

Platinum Member
Happy Veterans Day to all that served!

God bless those who did, and still do sacrifice of themselves so that others can be free. Happy veterans Day... to all veterans, of all nations.

It was called that here also until 1954 I think. From a Vet, thanks.

In 1953, an Emporia, Kansas shoe store owner named Alfred King had the idea to expand Armistice Day to celebrate all veterans, not just those who served in World War I. King had been actively involved with the American War Dads during World War II. He began a campaign to turn Armistice Day into "All" Veterans Day. The Emporia Chamber of Commerce took up the cause after determining that 90% of Emporia merchants as well as the Board of Education supported closing their doors on November 11 to honor veterans. With the help of U.S. Representative Ed Rees, also from Emporia, a bill for the holiday was pushed through Congress. President Dwight Eisenhower signed it into law on May 26, 1954.[3]

Congress amended this act on June 1, 1954, replacing "Armistice" with Veterans, and it has been known as Veterans Day since.[4][5]

Although originally scheduled for celebration on November 11 of every year, starting in 1971 in accordance with the Uniform Monday Holiday Act, Veterans Day was moved to the fourth Monday of October. In 1978 it was moved back to its original celebration on November 11. Since this change, there has been a trend against being closed on the holiday. It began with businesses (excluding banks) and in recent years some schools and local governments have also chosen to remain open.[citation needed]

Last edited:
To all the Vet-cussionists, from an Air Force brat......thank you very much for your service, keeping things in the US uneventful, and for going places to do things most people wouldn't go or do.....for us.

Very much appreciated. Thanks again.

I sat and watched the chelsea pensioners perform, King and Country on tv on Armistice Day, i must say it was a very moving moment, it brought a tear to my eye..
They are releasing their song in time for christmas, let`s hope they reach no 1 in the uk charts instead of the usual utter rubbish X factor try to win top spot with..
Would like to see nothing better than a song that is far, far more meaning full than anything else i have ever heard, reach No 1 for christmas..

Agreed zildjian2k9, I too watched them. Courage that this country (should) be built upon. If they got to number one that would be magnificent.

Back