Question About DW Lugs..

anth_ony

Has DW always used the "turret" style lugs on their drums? I thought DW picked up that design from their previous manufacturer. I came across a set for sale that was supposedly a DW, but had the more popularly used rectangular style lugs. I figured that maybe it was a PDP or a modification, but the seller said that it was because the kit was made before DW used "turret" style lugs.. I'll attach a picture.

11512c1g43k43o33lf8c379746ad22668144e.jpg

It almost looks like a Ludwig in disguise :/

DW was founded in 1972. They bought the Camco machinery in 1977. So there is a time period where they could have been making drums, and not using Camco lugs and/or Camco style lugs. For that matter, the drums pictured, who knows what shells were used. DW's first item manufactured was a height adjustable throne. Then they started making pedals. The round lug design can be traced back to George H. Way, and George Way drums.

DW was founded in 1972. They bought the Camco machinery in 1977.

When they were founded, they started by teaching lessons, then making thrones, and moved on to bass drum pedals and high hat stands when they bought the machinery from Camco in 1977. They didn't start making drum kits until AFTER that. They have always used the turret lugs from Camco, with the exception of the mini-turrets and the Pacific oval turrets, which both came YEARS later.

This kit is a fake. Well, at least that story is. Be sure to tell the seller that...

DW was founded in 1972. They bought the Camco machinery in 1977. So there is a time period where they could have been making drums, and not using Camco lugs and/or Camco style lugs. For that matter, the drums pictured, who knows what shells were used. DW's first item manufactured was a height adjustable throne. Then they started making pedals. The round lug design can be traced back to George H. Way, and George Way drums.

I was always understanding that before DW made it's own shells, they used Keller the whole time. Keller folks helped them spool up on making shells and then DW was on thier own (sometime in the 80's?)

Those lugs could be worldmax. (IOW: a fake DW kit)

Last edited:
1999 is the last year of the Keller shells as far as I know. in 2000 when I had my first kit built they did not have a 24" bass drum mold so they were still using Keller for those.

1999 is the last year of the Keller shells as far as I know. in 2000 when I had my first kit built they did not have a 24" bass drum mold so they were still using Keller for those.

Ok, I am a decade off ;)

Do you ever remember seeing those lugs pictured in the first post?

Has DW always used the "turret" style lugs on their drums? I thought DW picked up that design from their previous manufacturer. I came across a set for sale that was supposedly a DW, but had the more popularly used rectangular style lugs. I figured that maybe it was a PDP or a modification, but the seller said that it was because the kit was made before DW used "turret" style lugs.. I'll attach a picture.

11512c1g43k43o33lf8c379746ad22668144e.jpg

It almost looks like a Ludwig in disguise :/

This kit is a fake. Just an off brand with a DW logo head slaped on it. By the way, the metal Bass Drum hoops are a dead give away. I am sure that the folks at DW would loveto get aholdof this guy!

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw

Ah, but of course, of course. I saw those metal hoops too..

I was just really hoping that they were wooden and there was some sort of weird reflection coming from the glossy finish (like, REALLY glossy finish) since he's only selling them for $200.

Ah, but of course, of course. I saw those metal hoops too..

I was just really hoping that they were wooden and there was some sort of weird reflection coming from the glossy finish (like, REALLY glossy finish) since he's only selling them for $200.

That's the other give away right there that they aren't DW's ;-)

If it sounds too good to be true it usually is.

Back