John Dolmayan

• Thread starter System_Of_A_Slipknot
  • Start date
Re: Jon Dolmayan

his playing blew me away when i heard "Mesmerize".
just the tightest, most solid drumming i think i've ever heard

Great drummer, great band...what more is there to say? I think he's one off the best rock drummers out there...maybe a little behind Danny Carey.

i agree with what most people are saying, i belive he is a great drummer, like probably great at grooving and stuff, and of course recording. But i want to know how great he is at soloing. He is probably like me, not the greatest at soloing, but alot better at jamming.

Class A Drummer said:
i agree with what most people are saying, i belive he is a great drummer, like probably great at grooving and stuff, and of course recording. But i want to know how great he is at soloing. He is probably like me, not the greatest at soloing, but alot better at jamming.

Theres a mini solo at the top of the page. You really need to stop talking.

~tamadrummer~ said:
maybe i didnt click it. jeez chill out. ill say it one more time, your a jerk.

I could care less what you think. I'll say it one more time, stop posting. Really I mean, have you ever contributed to a thread at all? Ever actully gave good advice? Ever help someone out? I didn't think so.

chill out. you both think he's great, whats the problem?
you're senior members too. not really helping to promote a civilised style of discussion to newcomers.
i think jon's solo is really good, but i think he's more comfortable playing along to something. my favourite metal drummer, but then i'm no expert.

Its not like this is the first thing...read some of his posts/threads.

~tamadrummer~ said:
I could care less what you think. I'll say it one more time, stop posting. Really I mean, have you ever contributed to a thread at all? Ever actully gave good advice? Ever help someone out? I didn't think so.
Oh Ouch, and the truth comes out.

You're right. his new stuff isnt as good as his work on the original CD or Toxicity for example. I think hes a great drummer though, with some interesting grooves. it fits well with the rest of the band. If anyone disagrees with me and says that he sucks, go back and have a listen to I-E-A-I-A-I-O, Know and Toxicity. those three will change your mind.

pinkdaffodil said:
PLEASE TELL ME THAT YOU ARE JOKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SOD and Slipknot uses the same drummer?????? (system of a slipknot is the title, so.,.I am hoping I am wrong)....

I have always thought of them as two different (one good, and one ....not to my liking....at all...in any way...by any strech of the word ) drummers.

I like what I hear from System of a Down, and sure, he is fast in slipknot, but fast is not always good. All he does is double pedal and around the toms (it gets really booring after the first couple of seconds). absolutely no imagination, nothing inovative, no nothing....(in my oppinion, I am sure a lot of people will like him...I mean no disrespect to them. This is my oppinion, and my taste only...and before anyone feels the need to kill me...I am no authority in music, so relax)

Ofcourse I am in no position to belitle anyone. I am sure he is better then me, but I would never listen to that...

Maybe I am too blinded by my dislike for slipknot But WOW, I would have never guessed....

I am trailing off on a sidetrack..but...wow...I am surprised. I would have never guessed from just listening to them.

dude. title is "jon dolmayan" . the writers name is "system of a slipknot" :)

p.s. i like john's setup, with all those cymbals..

Last edited:

~tamadrummer~ said:

i really wouldnt call that a solo.. we wanna see more :)

I polished up Question! and Cigaro to jam with my guitarist the other day, Jon's drumming is great and fun to play. I think a small amount of grooves in Hypnotize / Mezmerize have been overdone, but not to the detriment of the music imo. I-E-A-I-A-I-O is one of my faves, as is Mr. Jack.

pinkdaffodil said:
PLEASE TELL ME THAT YOU ARE JOKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SOD and Slipknot uses the same drummer?????? (system of a slipknot is the title, so.,.I am hoping I am wrong).....

No. Charlie Benante played for SOD, but I'm assuming you meant 'System of a Down', which John Dolmayan is the drummer. Joey Jordison plays for Slipknot (obviously). And System of a Slipknot is the thread starter's user name.

tambian89 said:
Jon Dolmayan is a good, solid drummer. In no way am I a fan of System of a Down, but Dolmayan has skill. His beats and sense of phrasing are up to par, and he is probably the most talented member of the group.

-Marc

well I don`t think shavo the bass player do so much special but if you look at some live scenes you see that he often only play with one hand and do gestures with the other.

anyway john is a great player and SOAD is my fav band. but I didn`t know that he playes in the south park series...cool

Last edited:

I actually met him like a month ago... well.. im young. lol.. andm y mom plays keyboards.. she was rehearsing next to system at third encore. so yeah i met all of system but serj. John even showed me his kit.. its REALLY cool.. the shell.. it has comics customly drawn on it. well not comics but comic characters. He said that he really likes comics so he had that done. He also said that he'd been playing for either 14 or 17 years. i forgot... haha...

One thing I don't understand is why people say to take a listen to I-E-A-I-A-I-O if you want to hear his drumming for real. Because there really isn't anything special to the drumming in that track. Not that I don't like the song. But if you want to show others his drumming ... IMO his best playing is on Mezmerize

Show the groove section of B.Y.O.B. for sure.
And then the section in Revenga, with the offbeat hi hat and that figure on the ride ... a very cool part.
And then Question has some nice work in the odd time parts ... how he orchestrates both the 9/16 and 3/4 sections before the chorus is very well done! My two favorite SOAD songs are Question and Aerials for sure.

Back