snare drum dry vent holes getting in the way of brush work?

Rom Servo

hey guys,

im thinking about switching to the Evans Genera Dry Snare batter. ive never used snare batter with the dry vent holes in it and im curious if anyone knows if thats bound to get in the say of jazz brush work...as in am i inevitably going to be stabbing through them everytime i brush stroke. also i hit hard around the edge of the drum alot for that nice ping sound. does anyone know if the holes are going to get in the way of any of that?

thanks!

The holes are pretty small, so unless a wire is bent downward, I don't think they'd be a problem.

Hope the head makes the sounds you want.

This head is dry. I would say this head is not optimal for jazz brush work. It dries out the sound, and subdues sensitivity and the subtle overtones you may want in brushwork. Holes are too small to interfere with your brushes unless you tried hard to do so.
Better to try a good ole coated Ambassador.

The Genera snare head (batter) is the same thing without the holes. That may work better for playing brushes. Peace and goodwill.

Well as promised I spent a bit of time doing some brush work on my HD and had no issues. I had more problems with the bristles getting caught between the hoop and the head. This speaks for my skill level currently. I would not let the holes stop you from buying the head.

thanks guys!

what im gonna do is actually get one genera dry and one regular genera and compare. i think ill end up using the dry for my secondary popcorn snare, but i gotta see both these side by side. thanks for the feedback!

Back