Poll: What is your genre and bass drum size?

I play everything from Jazz to Metal and use a 22" for everything.

http://www.headhunter.com/

About sizes - seems like there's plenty of choices now for finding something comfortable to play without having to go all oddball for the sake of uniqueness.
I agree - mostly. My inclination towards a 21" bass drum has nothing to do with "uniqueness" though, & everything to do with knowing it offers a superb combination of weight of tone, & articulation. Not going to happen though (heads).

I agree - mostly. My inclination towards a 21" bass drum has nothing to do with "uniqueness" though, & everything to do with knowing it offers a superb combination of weight of tone, & articulation. Not going to happen though (heads).

I'd be all over a 21" if anyone made heads for it other than special order.

I'd be all over a 21" if anyone made heads for it other than special order.

Why? - Is it some kind of 'sweet spot' between 20 and 22 or something? Can't say that I ever saw or heard a 21" bass drum. Probably be interesting though.

I like 18's and 20's, so a 19 might be kind of cool too.

We currently use a 22"x18" as the studios main kit. However, growing up as a jazz drummer, I loved the sound of the 20"x18"...

As far as my genre is concerned...like I said, I grew up playing jazz, but I am mainly a fusion player. Funk, Latin, Gospel, and Jazz are my main areas.

You can never learn too much!!!

-Derek

Why? - Is it some kind of 'sweet spot' between 20 and 22 or something? Can't say that I ever saw or heard a 21" bass drum. Probably be interesting though.

I like 18's and 20's, so a 19 might be kind of cool too.

Because I love the sound and lower fundamental note of a 22", but I also love the snappy speed of my 20". I think it would give me a bit more low-end umph for not much tradeoff in response.

if you glance back over the thread, it's not that such a drum exists, but that we'd be interested to see one exist, if someone then committed to making heads for it on a regular production basis. And if it were a Guru kit with a 21"... you better bet I'd be all over it!

Two entries from me I suppose...

Prog - 22"

Alt. - 18"

Andy, I've always toyed with the idea of a 21" BD shell. It might be interesting to do the whole gong-tom thing with the over sized head. I bet you (if someone made heads for it), that a 21-10-12-14-14 shell pack would sell itself. ;)

How about a 25" bass drum anyone?

-Jonathan

I think DW offered a 21 or a 23 " bass drum shell.I don't think they were flying off the shelf.:)

Steve B

DW offered (offer?) a 23" shell. I like the principle but I would imagine finding heads that aren't special order is very difficult and naturally, your choices are much more limited.

At least with vintage Premier drums you can find the pre-international heads when Remo do a run of them!

DW's 23" bass drum is pretty dang cool. I liked the one I played at the shop a lot.
A big sound is possible like a 24, but it had the action of a 22, with a bit nicer feel.

With jazz I prefer an 18 for small groups. If it is a big band for example I want something larger. (I already voted earlier)

Last edited:
23" makes sense to me, even more so, 21", but good luck with head choices :( We'd build 21" bass drums in a heartbeat (screw fashion) if there was head availability.

My inclination towards a 21" bass drum has nothing to do with "uniqueness" though, & everything to do with knowing it offers a superb combination of weight of tone, & articulation. Not going to happen though (heads).

Andy, I'm thinking out loud here, so forgive me if I'm talking from my behind, could a shell in a shell work? Say a 22" x 16" shell with another shell of 21" x 17" inserted into the 22", with a system which secure the smaller shell inside the bigger one, the fact that the smaller shell is 1" deeper than the bigger one, 22" heads could fitted on batter and reso with a 22" hoop but touching simultaneously all bearing edges (22" & 21" or 20", 18" for that matter). The smaller shell would give most of sound, no?

It can also reverted back to a 22" in minutes by removing the smaller shell.

What do you think, possible? or I am totally dreaming :)

No need for all that. The headhunters have been busy and Anon has a new agent now.

Oh! ...Cool, I can't wait to meet the new agent and say hello...

Attachments

• Dirty Henri.jpg
    Dirty Henri.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 373
....Oh! ...Cool, I can't wait to meet the new agent and say hello...

LOL

Cool heads prevail.

A 21" bass drum is sounding like a great idea. Never really thought about it till this thread.
I have a definite liking for 21" rides though. One case with wheels, and a rigid divider for a couple rides would travel well.

Hello,

Rock (and more): 24".
More bottom, more fun.

Cheerio
Juergen

First Bass Drum was 22" - sold.
Second one is still in use.
Third one was 22" - sold.
Fourth, fith and sixth is: 24".

Henri, I'm noticing a similarity between your glassy death stare and Elijah Wood's glassy death stare in Sin City ... less heat, cooler and more calculated ... and deadly ...

:)

Juergen, you're #95. I guess someone will be looking for a prize at #100 ... I'll give you your own special graph :)

Attachments

• henri-&-elijahwood.jpg
    henri-&-elijahwood.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 346
Andy, I'm thinking out loud here, so forgive me if I'm talking from my behind, could a shell in a shell work? Say a 22" x 16" shell with another shell of 21" x 17" inserted into the 22", with a system which secure the smaller shell inside the bigger one, the fact that the smaller shell is 1" deeper than the bigger one, 22" heads could fitted on batter and reso with a 22" hoop but touching simultaneously all bearing edges (22" & 21" or 20", 18" for that matter). The smaller shell would give most of sound, no?

It can also reverted back to a 22" in minutes by removing the smaller shell.

What do you think, possible? or I am totally dreaming :)

It could work, but I don't think it would work very well, or at least, not have the benefits you'd hope for.

Andy

You should mention your 20" x 12" Guru kick, which is my kinda drum as it weights about 2 lb, no seriously it's practically lighter than air.

And of course it sounds killer.

Davo

Andy

You should mention your 20" x 12" Guru kick, which is my kinda drum as it weights about 2 lb, no seriously it's practically lighter than air.

And of course it sounds killer.

Davo

That sounds like a dream... my 22" Saturn bass drum weighs I'd say 50 or 55 pounds WITHOUT the tom mount. The hell of it is, it still manages to walk all over the stage :\

Back