Avery Molek

Tony Trout

I know he's just a kid but has anybody here heard of Avery Molek, the 11-year-old drummer from Pennsylvania???? I've known about him since first seeing him with Brad Paisley on "GMA" (via YouTube) and I've followed his progress and this kid is absolutely more amazing every time I hear him & he can play double-kicks very, very well for someone his age!!!!

For those here who've heard of him, what are ya'll's thoughts???

I know he's just a kid but has anybody here heard of Avery Molek, the 11-year-old drummer from Pennsylvania???? I've known about him since first seeing him with Brad Paisley on "GMA" (via YouTube) and I've followed his progress and this kid is absolutely more amazing every time I hear him & he can play double-kicks very, very well for someone his age!!!!

For those here who've heard of him, what are ya'll's thoughts???

I've never heard of him, but am I right in assuming his double bass chops are awesome? Where in Brad Paisley's music do you hear double bass? I think it's great when I see talented youngsters playing their butts off, but when I see a talented youngster laying it down for Mustang Sally, then I'll be impressed.

It's funny how I've never seen a young kid doing a simple Steve Gadd groove for three minutes without wavering, creating a good bed for the band and the singer to perform on top of. Anybody have any links for that out there? I mean, would it be creepy to see a 6-year-old laying down a groove like Alan Jackson Jr.? Feeling every beat like it's his last, at the age of six?

but when I see a talented youngster laying it down for Mustang Sally, then I'll be impressed.
Feeling every beat like it's his last, at the age of six?

I'd never heard of him and didn't want to pass judgment until I actually listened to his playing. While he comes across as a little precocious, I think he does a good job of laying it down. Whether he makes it beyond being a youtube sensation or ever becomes a name in the professional scene is anyone's guess, but he certainly has the ability to make a living from drums (if he wants that) which is what really counts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxNjhDQ4e_I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku4uzWUos8U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79mV975Pg_A

Eh, he's good for his age. But so many kids can be coached into playing along with classic rock tunes. I could make 5 videos a week, just as good, with my students (and yes, a few could play bass or keys as well). The kid's parents are obviously pushing the YouTube channel thing as a career -- I wonder if it's working out financially...

There's a paragraph in Herbie Hancock's autobiography where he asks Miles about a young Tony Williams: "Is he good, really good? Or is he just good for 17?", and Miles responds something like, just come by.

You want a legit young virtuoso? Here ya go.

Man, you guys are tough on even the young kids (which, in this case, is pretty dang good)!!! Forget that I asked the question.

Man, you guys are tough on even the young kids (which, in this case, is pretty dang good)!!! Forget that I asked the question.

Ha, no worries! Over the years I've been bombarded by people asking me if I've seen this or that young drummer on YouTube. I'm always thinking my kids are easily that good.

Maybe it's the marketing? I mean, a big set of drums and cymbals, lights, quality audio -- the whole package is impressive, for sure.

He's pretty impressive for an 11 year old and already has some endorsements (ddrum is one of them). Not bad for a kid still in grade school.

Back