Approx. cost of ordering a custom DW collector's series maple snare drum in Canada?

gconyers

This question is geared more to any Canadian members, due to exchange/shipping etc., who have custom ordered a DW snare drum.

I have a 14x6.5 NOB collector's snare which I really like. The sound and build quality are great. I have an older Yamaha MCA snare with dyna hoops in 14x5.5 vintage natural which for the life of me, I can't get to sound to my liking.

So, I've been toying with the idea of getting a DW collector's 14x6 snare in a satin oil finish. I love the True Hoops, mag throw and 3P buttplate. I've searched Kijiji and Ebay but have never had any luck. The only shop I was able to find the same model of snare in is Just Drums in T.O. and they wanted something like $850 CAD for a satin oil natural maple snare.

If I could find a used one in the same line I would do it, but.......

I have had bad experiences ordering directly from the States.

After exchange rate, taxes and duties added almost randomly at customs and extra brokerage fees from any carrier except usps-canada post which are also the slowest, a deal is hard to come by.

Try Nick at canadiandrumgear.com, Rej at https://www.musiquegagne.com or Dave at davesdrumshop.com, they will all get you a fair price and you won't have to deal with transnational shipping/returns unpleasentness.

If you go down the first route, I truly hope you will enjoy a better experience than mine (drum gear, sports apparel, even rare books, etc.)

I have had bad experiences ordering directly from the States.

After exchange rate, taxes and duties added almost randomly at customs and extra brokerage fees from any carrier except usps-canada post which are also the slowest, a deal is hard to come by.

Try Nick at canadiandrumgear.com, Rej at https://www.musiquegagne.com or Dave at davesdrumshop.com, they will all get you a fair price and you won't have to deal with transnational shipping/returns unpleasentness.

If you go down the first route, I truly hope you will enjoy a better experience than mine (drum gear, sports apparel, even rare books, etc.)

I was going to suggest Dave as well.

well if that ebay listing is anything to go by, Just Drum's price isn't bad after exchange. And they aren't big gougers from my experience, so that's probably close to the going rate.

Long and McQuade are listed as dealers too, so maybe you can try your local store? Personally I'd rather deal with an actual drum shop all things considered.

Or maybe Udrum can make you something nice. He's in Burlington. There are a lot of snares in your price range you can get for less than 850, I'd look around more.

Last edited:
I've just answered my own question and ordered a 14x5 natural satin oil finish snare with satin chrome hardware from Long and McQuade on Bloor St in Toronto. $799 CAD plus tax.

On a side note, I would highly recommend purchasing from this location. The drum dept manager's name is Zach Hamilton. He has been an absolute pleasure to work with throughout the order process. I usually shop at the Waterloo or Cambridge location but they've been zero help and didn't even respond to my emails. The great thing is, the Toronto location can transfer the drum to Waterloo when it finally arrives.

gconyers,
I bought my Club Custom add-ons from L&M in Toronto after they were discontinued. 7x10 and 13x14 ft. Could not find them here in the States. The guy at L&M was fantastic to deal with, I got a nice deal due to the $ conversion and they shipped them to a L&M near RickP, who graciously picked them up and shipped them to me.
The only better Canadian experience I've had is when I go to Tim Horton's!

Back