I have a theory

Wanna buy a Blue/Olive Oyster kit? Collectable/Big Sizes.. Evolutionary..

Indeed. How many times do you see "sounds awesome" in an advert? If that's the case, why are you selling it?

yeah, those 23 inch bass drums from dw reallly took off...hahaha what a stupid idea.
anyway there was a guy on here that was more of a huckster or a con-man than a real drum builder. im pretty sure he used that "sounds awesome" term a lot. he used to use the same pictures of the same made in japan kit placed in someones garden and acted like it was HIS latest design and what not. and the sound clips played on my cell phone were terrible at best but with all the hype people bought into it. All his so called wood finished kits are nothing but wraps and the poor people who receive these kits after purchase are to embarrassed to admit they fell for it and don't speak up. He used to advertise on his account here a lot but now just has a link to his buddies band which he hangs around with and bothers. LUDWIG RULES!!!!

OMG how long has this harangue lasted now?

You mean like this monstrosity?

View attachment 78568

Did you have a difficult time selling that kit?

But every once in a while for a rock and roll or rockabilly gig I drag out the kit that expresses my true personality.
( If I were to sell them, would anybody buy them........ LOL )

Img_9426SMALL-vi.jpg

I wish I could see pictures of this (my computer network is blocking it).

As far as expressing my "true" personality, I think I've shown pics of this before. I wrapped this kit because I knew it would probably never leave the house, and I thought it was sort of a "fun" finish (I still do!). Of course, within a month of me wrapping my kit, I start playing with an Americana band. Now, this kit sits on a shelf with my more "conservative" kits in the cases and in the practice room. I had thought about selling it, but I'm pretty sure my 8-year-old son will murder me in my sleep. If I did sell them, I bet it would go one of two ways: either they would sell at a fairly high price or a very LOW price. Either way, I'm sure it would take a very special customer. Looks like I'm hanging onto them for a while. :)

1D7C5A87-4FB3-4A98-BEF8-EBED5949F8F7_zpskij9yged.jpg

Did you have a difficult time selling that kit?

Actually no. It went within seven days. But I think it was the standard sizes that sold them. Like I said, every DW kit I've ever seen on eBay or Craigslist has some kind of non-traditional thing going on with it. Really big bass drums with tiny hanging toms, or a weird finish combined with weird sizes. I've never seen a DW kit for sale that was traditional sizes like 8x12/9x13/16x16/14x22 (or a 16x22).

I think people who buy these DW kits either a) already had a traditional kit and wants to try something new and exciting - and for the money it better be exciting at least, or b) sees a lot of their heroes playing strange-sized DW kits not realizing that their situation is much different from their heroes situation. And that's ok, I just wanted to point out that in the DW used market, you never see traditional-sized drums up for sale in a subtle finish you could see yourself growing old with.

Those people that do have that, aren't selling.

I bet this one would take some time to sell on the used market too ;)

Attachments

• DW-snare-weird.jpg
    DW-snare-weird.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 609
As far as expressing my "true" personality, I think I've shown pics of this before. I wrapped this kit because I knew it would probably never leave the house, and I thought it was sort of a "fun" finish (I still do!). Of course, within a month of me wrapping my kit, I start playing with an Americana band. Now, this kit sits on a shelf with my more "conservative" kits in the cases and in the practice room. I had thought about selling it, but I'm pretty sure my 8-year-old son will murder me in my sleep. If I did sell them, I bet it would go one of two ways: either they would sell at a fairly high price or a very LOW price. Either way, I'm sure it would take a very special customer. Looks like I'm hanging onto them for a while. :)

1D7C5A87-4FB3-4A98-BEF8-EBED5949F8F7_zpskij9yged.jpg

Can I just take a moment to break into your house and steal that kit?

the Super Mario one is stunning! :D

on the topic: industrial processes and marketing made very really easy to give customizations and evolution in that instruments is quite ended, as for violins.

the second ones are now "classics" and born in an epoque were industrial processes, finisches were not so cheap and mainly they were for FEW people.
today buying a drum, a guitar is at everyone's hand. So here there are the only things can make an user decide to buy a "different" set: finishes.

You can choose 3,4,5 sound flavours but that's alla if there is not the eye's part.

is like the smartphones: and iphone1 and an old android can make same essential things a recent one can do: making phone calls, sms, connecting to internet. what makes people buy a new phone every 2 years? more connectivity, slight increased performance, design..."collateral" features, the main ones are in the older ones. like finishes does.

I see what you mean about weird sized DW ; I've just ran into a nice oyster finish DW : 24 13 16 18 - Fine.
Looking at details : it's a 24x22" !!!! How would you move it ! you can use it as a dog house for your rottweiler :-D
Last time I saw a nice DW set but.. gold hardware with green to black fade - yerk.

In France, on second hand market you'll find a lot of Superstar Hyperdrive, with those tiny toms and deep bass drum. A lot of people want to get rid it seems.

Traditional size is going to come back, I'm sure. 22x16 13x9 16x16 : it will work anytime.

But about traditional DW you can find some :
https://www.leboncoin.fr/instruments_de_musique/1148122144.htm?ca=12_s

Very nice isn't it ?

Last edited:
That's one ugly looking finish and I swear on my soul that 99.9% of DW snares are 6.5x14 but anyways, don't imagine the snare selling well.

I wouldn't pay a premium for that snare, that's for sure; however, it might be fun to have a "splash" of color on a drum set which has a more subtle finish.

And BTW, thanks for the kind words regarding my Super Mario drums! Many of the pics I took came out blurry, but here's one that (hopefully) shows how sharp the graphics came out:

10917466_10205896202424776_7873252470359876001_n.jpg

Here's a before and after:

522138_10205892076441629_7197004690402844000_n.jpg

10917855_10205892076681635_1549237764863980736_n.jpg

I see what you mean about weird sized DW ; I've just ran into a nice oyster finish DW : 24 13 16 18 - Fine.
Looking at details : it's a 24x22" !!!! How would you move it ! you can you it as a dog house for your rottweiler :-D
Last time I saw a nice DW set but.. gold hardware with green to black fade - yerk.

In France, on second hand market you'll find a lot of Superstar Hyperdrive, with those tiny toms and deep bass drum. A lot of people want to get rid it seems.

Traditional size is going to come back, I'm sure. 22x16 13x9 16x16 : it will work anytime.

But about traditional DW you can find some :
https://www.leboncoin.fr/instruments_de_musique/1148122144.htm?ca=12_s

Very nice isn't it ?

That is nice! But in the used market, stuff like that is SUPER rare!

The way I see it, the appearance of your instrument (for any musician) is part of your personal brand -- it's how you present yourself. And, like it or not, you're going to get judged by that presentation and how it fits the way the band presents itself, how it fits the music genre, how it fits the audience and venue.

So do you want to appear professional? Classy? Rebellious? Wild and crazy? Humorous? You have all those choices. Just remember that your kit is a huge part of that visual presentation. Think of it as a job interview and dress to fit the job and workplace.

I wouldn't pay a premium for that snare, that's for sure; however, it might be fun to have a "splash" of color on a drum set which has a more subtle finish.

And BTW, thanks for the kind words regarding my Super Mario drums! Many of the pics I took came out blurry, but here's one that (hopefully) shows how sharp the graphics came out:

10917466_10205896202424776_7873252470359876001_n.jpg

Here's a before and after:

522138_10205892076441629_7197004690402844000_n.jpg

10917855_10205892076681635_1549237764863980736_n.jpg

Too bad I can't plug in an NES or NES Controller and play some Super Mario Bros. on the shells

The way I see it, the appearance of your instrument (for any musician) is part of your personal brand -- it's how you present yourself. And, like it or not, you're going to get judged by that presentation and how it fits the way the band presents itself, how it fits the music genre, how it fits the audience and venue.

So do you want to appear professional? Classy? Rebellious? Wild and crazy? Humorous? You have all those choices. Just remember that your kit is a huge part of that visual presentation. Think of it as a job interview and dress to fit the job and workplace.

Well stated. Stated well.

A new theory: the new millennia will be said to have produced some of the strangest looking drums ever. So like the 60s produced millions of black oyster Ringo kits that were residing in attics for decades and being revived now, there will be attics storing visually ugly drums, waiting to be discovered by another generation (hopefully).

Back