Gold Member
Sonor Benny Greb
Sonor SQ2

1965 Ludwig Pioneer
1967 Ludwig Acrolite

1964 Gretsch 4160 COB

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

Not pictured is my Thomann special edition black panther snare.

I had a Ludwig Pioneer for many years and like an idiot I sold it. I'd really love to get another one someday. Absolutely nothing special about them, but they have a great sound.

That Gretsch looks great!

Bermuda

That Gretsch looks great!

Bermuda

Thanks! When I picked up my Gretsch kit I thought oh man not another project. The minute I just gave the snare a few taps it was like my childhood came back. I grew up a huge fan of blue note records, bebop jazz and bands like the Ventures. I concentrated my efforts on cleaning it up and I bought the new strainer for it. I really enjoy it.

Manny

Lovely drums.

I have been considering the Benny for a while. How do you like yours? Do you find it is versatile? A reason I have yet to purchase it is because I have the Artist beech. Of course the slight size difference and thickness would separate the two. Nevertheless I have been reluctant....

Nice collection!

I was eyeing off a greb on eBay earlier today, same questions as above, really. Trying to figure out my next drum. Thought it might make a nice at snare.

Lovely drums.

I have been considering the Benny for a while. How do you like yours? Do you find it is versatile? A reason I have yet to purchase it is because I have the Artist beech. Of course the slight size difference and thickness would separate the two. Nevertheless I have been reluctant....

The Benny snare is a really nice instrument with a lot of versatility. Mine was actually played by him at the Sonor factory. At the time I had thrown S hoops on it. I have reverted back to the normal hoops. Far too many gigs last year sound guys had a hard time with the hoops and if anything I want micd up is my snare kick and an overhead.

Anyway to the point. It can be tuned up low and fat or nice and high. I have used it as my main snare for a while. The only other snare I use live is my SQ2. The SQ2 is not as versatile but always sounds great.

I also dig the slightly smaller size. It allows me to get really comfortable in my setup. Checkout the video on youtube. It is honestly a good representation of how it sounds. When I got out of the studio last I thought dam it does sound exactly like on the promotional video.

Last edited:
The Benny snare is a really nice instrument with a lot of versatility. Mine was actually played by him at the Sonor factory. At the time I had thrown S hoops on it. I have reverted back to the normal hoops. Far too many gigs last year sound guys had a hard time with the hoops and if anything I want micd up is my snare kick and an overhead.

Anyway to the point. It can be tuned up low and fat or nice and high. I have used it as my main snare for a while. The only other snare I use live is my SQ2. The SQ2 is not as versatile but always sounds great.

I also dig the slightly smaller size. It allows me to get really comfortable in my setup. Checkout the video on youtube. It is honestly a good representation of how it sounds. When I got out of the studio last I though dam it does sound exactly like on the promotional video.

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a detailed response. It is a big help.

I really enjoy looking at your drums. You have fine taste. I was just offered a Gretsch like yours. But the price is a bit high. Such a nice drum though....

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a detailed response. It is a big help.

I really enjoy looking at your drums. You have fine taste. I was just offered a Gretsch like yours. But the price is a bit high. Such a nice drum though....

For me I wanted a Sonor Steve Smith snare. Anyway the Gretsch snare sounds close to it and is super cool because it's vintage. When I get more time and $$ I will finish the rest of the Gretsch kit that goes with it. It came in thise outfit if you are wondering:

gretsch5.jpg

In this flyer the snares already had the newer strainer so mine could even be earlier than '64.

So I picked these guys up tonight. The Supra I might keep. This picture is straight from picking it up. No acne at all, date stamp still there, no issue drum from 1967.

20140201_232317.jpg

The other I am on the fence about. It looks like the inside was repainted at some point. That being said the paint looks EXACTLY the same as my Pioneer. This Jazz fest is also from 1967.

20140201_232311.jpg

What do you guys think the Jazz fest is worth if it was repainted on the inside? The drum does sound awesome in any case, has chrome hardware and is all mint aside from what I believe is the interior repaint.

Whether or not you keep the drum depends on your motivation to buy it. Do you buy them to re sell?

I am after a jazz fest in good condition if the price is right. I am not a reseller. I just want something that plays well and sounds good. Let me know. I have been perusing ebay lately. (never bought anything from ebay yet)

I want that Greb snare...

It's a nice one and actually played by Benny Greb :) When I was at the Sonor factory in 2012 I just had to have him try it out with the S Hoops I put on it.

A few updates. I have several Kent snares now; not all are pictured. I sold my Jazzfest and Pioneer. I have since gained another Pioneer with a kit purchase.

Attachments

• Snare3.jpg
    Snare3.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 351
  • Snare2.jpg
    Snare2.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 304
Beautiful collection of snares! They are all definite winners. I've been wanting to try out the Sonor Benny Greb snare, for a long time.

Nice Club Date poking out in the last photo as well!

So I picked these guys up tonight. The Supra I might keep. This picture is straight from picking it up. No acne at all, date stamp still there, no issue drum from 1967.

20140201_232317.jpg

That supra is gorgeous....................please let me know if you decide to sell...............I'd love to have it

Back