Richard Bailey

Rich Meyer

I just received the Jeff Beck album this Xmas (altough I have heard it many times) and saw the name of the drummer as Richard Bailey. I went looking for some background for him on the site and found nothing. Can you explain?

P.S. it was on the Blow by Blow album.

Last edited:
Agree, it's odd that he's so low profile after playing the house down on one of the most loved fusion albums. He was only 19 at the time of recording Blow By Blow too. He's worked with some high level artists like Mick Taylor, Brian Eno and Steve Winwood since so I guess he's content to stay under the radar as an elite sideman.

Also, it's a myth that Billy Cobham played on BBB under a non de plume - it was definitely Richard Bailey.

Most of the Incognito albums have Richard Bailey on drums. I assume it's the same guy, but I don't know for sure. Great drummer, anyway.

Pub in North London with a 12 piece! Great crack.
i popped BBB on to try my new earbuds and heard RB in a fresh light; the crisp exposed tuning and production, he's right there! and, wait ?, 19?
with rudimental chops like that?
how did this happen?

i popped BBB on to try my new earbuds and heard RB in a fresh light; the crisp exposed tuning and production, he's right there! and, wait ?, 19?
with rudimental chops like that?
how did this happen?

I've never listened to Blow by Blow. Just stuck it on for five minutes. Bold mixing decisions there with the drums, right up front-and-centre. And deservedly so. 'Exposed' is exactly the word I would use. And dry. Fantastic.

Ah yes, the absolute frenzy of Scatterbrain. Amazing stuff. Not sure if it’s true but I heard somewhere (maybe here) that the famous opening groove was actually created by Carmine Appice. Bailey apparently went to him for advice and he came up with it. No idea if this is true.

Okay, this album was one of the definitive albums of my teenage years playing drums. I have played along with these tracts probably as many times as any other album ever since 1980. I’ve posted this link here before but here it is again for anyone who has not heard it. It is fabulous.

Back