Phil Collins

Re: Phil Colins Humour

Actually a limb issue didn't stop Rick Allen from his love of drumming.

PC drummed on his new motown album, in the linear notes there's a picture of him with a drum stick taped to his hand haha.

I was listening to an interview with Phil and he was saying that his injury may not be permanent. I don't remember if he was planning surgery or doing therapy. One of my students got me his new album with the Funk Bros. for Christmas It's good.

I still believe that we will find Phil behind the kit in the future.

Here's a couple of nice Phil Collins tracks.

The first one is with Jethro Tull in Deutchland 1982. I didn't know Collins even played with JT. But as you can hear, it was an excellent fit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndp0-jaRRzo&feature=player_embedded

Here is his new cd sounding like he's playing for Stax. It's Chester in the video. Collins on the audio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1dRP5j_r3I&feature=channel

Gotta add this gem The Musical Box c. 1972

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W35wtfcByIY&feature=related

Last edited:
Just purchased Brand X's "Unorthodox Behaviour" and gotta say it's just brilliant. And that's the kind of drumming I love; jazzy, smooth, and fills that fits the songs

Just purchased Brand X's "Unorthodox Behaviour" and gotta say it's just brilliant. And that's the kind of drumming I love; jazzy, smooth, and fills that fits the songs
Phil was on fire back then.
I'm working on an article for a magazine about his drums right now and in one year, he made 15 appearences on albums outside of Genesis. No wonder his chops were smokin'!

Can't believe I missed this thread! Jonh Bonham and Phil Collins were the drummers that actually made me pick up sticks. Phil is an awesome drummer, I've rarely heard anyone else that had such good "feel" for rhythms and fills. He could play heavy (Fly on a Windshield) or fast (Nuclear Burn), or anything in between. His Brand X stuff is great, as was so much of his other stuff (Freda, Steve Hackett, etc). "Sail on Solar Winds" from "Marscape" is one of my all time favorite songs, just great.

The Lamb lies down on Broadway - the whole damn recording is incredible.

I could go on and on. :)

I could go on and on. :)
Please feel free to do so!

More people NEED to know what this guy was all about as a drummer. Most only ever hear In The Air and think he is cool for that, but there was a time where he was the most sought after drummer out there...and for a very good reason!

Most only ever hear In The Air and think he is cool for that

Sure. It's one of the great drum parts.

I loved his playing on Trick of the Tail but was really surprised by his Cobhamesque shredding on the Unorthodox Behaviour album when the album first came out. His combination with Percy Jones was mind blowing at times.

His commercial stuff was well done too but I found it sterile in that typical 80s pop way.

Sure. It's one of the great drum parts.

I loved his playing on Trick of the Tail but was really surprised by his Cobhamesque shredding on the Unorthodox Behaviour album when the album first came out. His combination with Percy Jones was mind blowing at times.

His commercial stuff was well done too but I found it sterile in that typical 80s pop way.
74-79 he was all about Jazz Rock and pulling impossible changes with great feel.

Like all of us, he went throught phases, staring out with Buddy Rich, moving on to John Bonham, but when I first got to know him in the late 70's, he was still heavily into Billy Cobham, Tony Williams and the percussionist Airto Moreira.

It shows, and those (well recorded!) Brand X albums capture those days in all their glory.

Marscape is indeed another fine example from that mid 70's period.

I got to sit behind Phil's kit when i did prof. stagehand work back in the 90's. I was suprised to see He was using a Ludwig speedking bass pedal!

But no more ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...t-dedicate-time-father.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

That's two brilliant prog drummers of the golden age of prog - Phil and Bill Bruford - who have each announced retirement at age 60.

Sure, but it's not like he will never play the drums again, even if only for himself.

I am SURE, having got to know him a little, while he may never put out another album or tour, as his buys grow older, I think he will appear from time to time as a guest.

Back