Mike "Machine" Mallais here!

Re: Mike Machine Here!!!

What's up Mike!

We met at NAMM 07 when you broke the WFD record. Nice to see you here.

Jeff

Thanks brotha!!! hard to say I remember ur face without a picture hahah... either way...how ya been bro?!

Mike

Gday from Australia Mike!

Great to see some more 'celebrity' names on here Youll find this forum a great resource for keeping in touch with what drummers are into.

Welcome aboard!

Hey Damien, Thanks for the warm welcome mate :) ...hows life down under? ever run into Virgil over there?

Mike

I've heard of you before mike but I've never actually witnessed your playing till now, damn your good! What bands do you play in man? I'd love to hear you playing with a death metal band of some kind.

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy everyone!!!

Timster...how ya been mang?!

Thanks alot for the compliments... Im actually working on some NEW video footage now... I feel the videos on youtube are pretty CRAPPY imo... nothing in those felt "right" and theyre all "1 trick pony" vids... so expect some really versatile stuff coming soon!!!

Im glad to have your support tho guys... feel free to ask/say anything!!!

Mike

Last edited:

Hey Mike! Glad to see you're on the forum, we can always use good input from great drummers like yourself.

Hey Damien, Thanks for the warm welcome mate :) ...hows life down under? ever run into Virgil over there?

Mike
Hes been living abroad (I think LA?) for some years now, so sadly I only met him last when Planet X toured, which was in 2003 if I recall correctly.

I put on a few clinics though, so chances are Ill see him again at some point!

Right on bro... I guess he finds LA to more of a central location for work etc...

Living in Canada is a REAL test to our commitment to music... here its like BEGGING to be a musician... Talent/skill are 1/100th of what it takes to stay working here... im sure this is the same in alot of places... but I really feel limited here.

Hopefully more exposure like this will help get me on a tour bus soon :)

Mike

I thought i'd pop in to let you guys know I'm working very hard at getting video footage up soon...

Im my own worst critique so I really want to do the BEST I can with these... I feel I'm really coming up with some tasty stuff...but I don't want to lose my improv "feel" either...so please be patient :)

I'd also like to thank whomever made this thread a STICKY... I thank you sincerely and hope to make this community proud!!!

I hope everyone here had a GREAT weekend of drumming/gigging/networking!!! I know I did!!!

Mike

Hey Everyone,

Well I just want to share an update with you all...

I've been customizing my "studio" kit MAJORLY ...so the videos I shot are all scrapped and now i'm doing new ones to help unveil the NEW sounds/visuals I've created with my friends at PEARL!!!

Live it. Love it. Smash it.!!!

Mike

Hey Mike, welcome aboard. Its great to have found this site with so many great drummers willing to share their experience and give advice when asked. My question is with regards to improving speed and CONTROL on the bd. I'm using DW 4000 pedals, yet more often than not my single stroke bd rolls sound like a herd of buffalo stampeding down the stairs. The rolls seem to be better, smoother, when playing at faster speeds (32nds at 80bpm), however after about four measures they begin to lop, and generally go downhill from there. I've begun to use John F's 'elements' to help with the control bit and hope that will help. Any advice on how I might resolve the buffalo effect while also improving speed? Also, I got a dvd from one of your countrymen that explains and demonstrates his idea of the heel/toe technique, where each beater is hitting twice, a double stroke roll. Do you use this technique, or I'm I beating my head against a rock trying to learn this difficult approach? I notice Roddy and Sucherman use single stroke exclusively, or at least that's how I understand it. Thanks for any advice and will look forward to visiting your thread on a regular basis.

Hey Mike, welcome aboard. Its great to have found this site with so many great drummers willing to share their experience and give advice when asked. My question is with regards to improving speed and CONTROL on the bd. I'm using DW 4000 pedals, yet more often than not my single stroke bd rolls sound like a herd of buffalo stampeding down the stairs. The rolls seem to be better, smoother, when playing at faster speeds (32nds at 80bpm), however after about four measures they begin to lop, and generally go downhill from there. I've begun to use John F's 'elements' to help with the control bit and hope that will help. Any advice on how I might resolve the buffalo effect while also improving speed? Also, I got a dvd from one of your countrymen that explains and demonstrates his idea of the heel/toe technique, where each beater is hitting twice, a double stroke roll. Do you use this technique, or I'm I beating my head against a rock trying to learn this difficult approach? I notice Roddy and Sucherman use single stroke exclusively, or at least that's how I understand it. Thanks for any advice and will look forward to visiting your thread on a regular basis.

Slow and steady wins the race forsure man... do whatever tempo u can for around 5-15 minute sessions... also... if you're looking to work smarter instead of harder...try "Pressed Doubles"... i'll elaborate more soon!!!

Happy Holidays D-World!!!

Mike

PS -vids coming soon...

Back