My favorite sticks

i bought a pair of vic firth dave weckl evolution sticks last year when they were going cheap at a drum festival, and have been playing them ever since. they're beautifully weighted (i like light sticks), and feel great. only problem is they're quite varnishy, so can get slippy if you've been playing for ages. but i love 'em.

kit: rock/funk- VF X5A
metal- VF X5B
jazz/pit- VF 5A
marching: snare- either the VF Scott Johnsons (fast as hell) or Tom Aungst (sound really big)
tenors- Scott Johnson Vegas or the MT-1A
bundles: promark hot rods
havent picked my brushes yet...

VF's Bozzio model kicks ass in sound, they sound bigger than X5Bs but are smaller than 5As, but they feel weird as hell, so i use them for practice pad work only

I just picked up some VF 7As and am loving them,
I'm waiting to see how long it will take me to break them though.
I'm not a soft hitter at all.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned these......but....

Vic Firth's American Sound 5As. 5A w/ a round tip!! Great combo!!!

Peter Erskine Sig's for lighter stuff

Regal Tip Jeff Hamilton brushes

DrumProgressive said:
Just regular Vic Firth 5A's or weckl's. Though weckl's are so slipery on sweaty hands.

Any1 else has that problem ?

Yes, and with the Gadd sticks as well...

I think I read every reply in this thread, and I can't believe nobody else uses the Vater Pro Rock. IMO the best stick ever, and I have tried almost all the others over the years. Thin, fairly light, long, and very strong. It just feels right in your hands. I truly believe that Vater is making the best drumsticks out there right now, and there is pretty much a model for everyone.
Great site, I will come back and post some more when I get some time. Cheers.

Vic Firth 5b classics

they stand up to anything i play and it takes me almost more than a month and a half to break them

I use generally any 7A (as long as its round tip). I started with Vater 7A manhattan, then i went to Zildjian 7A, and now i'm at Vic Firth American Sound 7A. I pretty much just switch around between all of them. However, this is just for my practices with jazz and symphonic stuff at school.

For Drumline, i use Vic Firth Ralph Hardiman (which i notice pretty much everyone else i know uses).

At home when i practice, i use 2B Vic Firths and Vater Rock. (I just use my drumline sticks on my practice pad)

But at performances, i ALWAYS use Zildjian D.I.P. 7A wood tip

P.S. who here uses regal tip as their main sticks? i think they're alright, but im just wondering is any other people use them.

These are my favs: Pro-Mark Rock-Knocker (i use it almost 1,5 years)

0068wi.jpg

and Ahead TLee Concert

I've been doing a lot of searching for the 'right' pair of sticks recently and I was really impressed by some Vater Manhattan 7As. Unfortunately I caused a chunk to be taken out of the middle due to excessive rimshotting (I was getting the technique down, ok?) but they were excellent sticks. If I find more Vater dealers I will consider making a conversion permenantly.

Right now I'm using ProMark 5As. Nothing special with the size, but excellent sticks. Some slightly slippage problems in matched grip but that's most likely down to me rather than the sticks. I'm really impressed with Pro Mark as I've gradually become more and more annoyed with Vic Firth's sticks not lasting the distance.

I found my first pair of Vic Firth 5As lying around the other day (my first ever pair of sticks) and they just felt a lot denser and better made than the other Vic Firth sticks I had in my bag. I couldn't play with them though, they were cracked severely; I keep them for sentimental reasons.

I used to use VicFirth 5As but i broke them too easily so i had to switch. They were good sticks though.

im like my man jason... im a vater player. 5a nilon tip. god do i love these things. and sooo much cheaper when u buy by the dozen.

fav sticks: Vic Firth Danny Carey Signature (SDC) their heavy but so durable and comfortable to play with.............

nd,

My fave sticks are Vic Firth sig series John Dolmayan- 1 of my favourite drummers :D

Back