I love this clip

Well, Like they say. You can't judge a book by it's cover.

I saw that yesterday. Simply amazing. I bet you all of those people felt like fools the second she started singing. I didn't exactly know what to expect, but definitely not that.

It's sad when you can see the look on peoples faces beforehand that said, "Oh come on, how can anyone who is not attractive sing/dance/whatever....

Codpiece? I love it, KF!

Is that an English phrase? Can I use it at CHarlie Wrights if the band is bad? ; )

She sure is a great singer. I've never thought someone has a terrible singing voice just because they're ugly. Just look at my old music teacher! The sad thing is that people like this don't get famous just because they aren't the best looking, it really doesn't matter about your voice. It's all about the eye candy in the music industry which is very shallow. I've never actually seen a female fronted rock/metal (or otherwise) band where the singer is not really fit. That's because all the ugly female singers haven't made it because no one wants to watch a band where the singer is ugly. Maybe the world would have been a better place if MTV had never existed.

Codpiece? I love it, KF!

Is that an English phrase? Can I use it at CHarlie Wrights if the band is bad? ; )

Codpiece roughly translates to man-thong... LOL
Sure you could, but you might get a few dodgy looks, and people shuffling away from you... :)
Yes, I do believe the term originated here.

Maybe the world would have been a better place if MTV had never existed.

Boy, if I had a quid for every time I heard that....

The sad thing is that people like this don't get famous just because they aren't the best looking, it really doesn't matter about your voice. It's all about the eye candy. Maybe the world would have been a better place if MTV had never existed.

I think Eddie, you touched upon an important and much much larger point about society in general.

There is such a powerful unwritten societal code about looking good, dressing well, being articulate and presentable. Being 'TV- friendly', 'Sound-bite friendly' at the expense of depth and quality and integrity is quite easily acceptable by us all.

We seem to glorify shallowness and instant gratification.

Has Paris Hilton cut a CD yet? I'll bet she'll sell a few hundred thousand copies more than ol mum in the clip with the same marketing team.

Who says life is unfair. Its unpardonable.

Codpiece roughly translates to man-thong... LOL
Sure you could, but you might get a few dodgy looks, and people shuffling away from you... :)
Yes, I do believe the term originated here.

Woops.. dont much care for dodgy looks.

People shuffling away are cool, as long as they're the ones playing music on stage ; )

I think Eddie, you touched upon an important and much much larger point about society in general.

There is such a powerful unwritten societal code about looking good, dressing well, being articulate and presentable. Being 'TV- friendly', 'Sound-bite friendly' at the expense of depth and quality and integrity is quite easily acceptable by us all.

We seem to glorify shallowness and instant gratification.

Has Paris Hilton cut a CD yet? I'll bet she'll sell a few hundred thousand copies more than ol mum in the clip with the same marketing team.

Who says life is unfair. Its unpardonable.

Yes, she has. I think it did quite well. But look at William Hung. There is a whole population of people who are not the prettitest, and who aren't hung up on shallow superficialities, so there is a huge market if it is marketed right. He did quite well and he didn't even have any talent.

To my understanding Susan Boyle has been offered a record contract, and I think that she will do quite well because she has touched on a very huge nerve. It's not only here appearance, it's her age. Look at the way Simon looks when she says she is 47. And it is also the fact that here is a woman with not only a pretty voice but a very unique voice that has just never been given a chance. Most of the people can identify with that, a lot more than any other marketing scheme that someone can come up with; it is real. Reality could be a powerful thing if people would give it a chance.

Yes, she has. I think it did quite well. But look at William Hung. There is a whole population of people who are not the prettitest, and who aren't hung up on shallow superficialities, so there is a huge market if it is marketed right. He did quite well and he didn't even have any talent.

Well yeah i grant you there are a few ugly famous people in bands, but they're mostly men. I was really on about women more. As i said, try to find an ugly FEMALE singer. There are certainly none that i can see in our "female rock voices" thread. Also most of the female singers we have are in their 20s and 30s, some are even still teenagers. you have a few people like madonna who is getting on a bit, but she certainly doesn't look it! Yes you could market a turd as a BMW and get £20 grand for it but the point is that sex makes the marketing man's job a hell of a lot easier.

To my understanding Susan Boyle has been offered a record contract, and I think that she will do quite well because she has touched on a very huge nerve. It's not only here appearance, it's her age. Look at the way Simon looks when she says she is 47. And it is also the fact that here is a woman with not only a pretty voice but a very unique voice that has just never been given a chance. Most of the people can identify with that, a lot more than any other marketing scheme that someone can come up with; it is real. Reality could be a powerful thing if people would give it a chance.

Yeah okay so she got a contract, but that's just because people felt bad about prejudging her. It's like the fact that we give loads of money to charity on red nose day and world vision day or whatever but we would never do that normally. It doesn't change the fact africa owes us 4x more than we give them in charity or that most people seem to think we should just let them die. If this woman had tried to "make it" through the normal channels of music then she'd have been laughed off stage/out of the studio.

And aydee i agree with you. We were talking about this in english once about how in the news, the men don't have to be particularly good looking and can wear a suit whereas the women have to have loads of make up and wear some bright dress and be about 30 or whatever.

Yeah okay so she got a contract, but that's just because people felt bad about prejudging her. It's like the fact that we give loads of money to charity on red nose day and world vision day or whatever but we would never do that normally. It doesn't change the fact africa owes us 4x more than we give them in charity or that most people seem to think we should just let them die. If this woman had tried to "make it" through the normal channels of music then she'd have been laughed off stage/out of the studio.

And aydee i agree with you. We were talking about this in english once about how in the news, the men don't have to be particularly good looking and can wear a suit whereas the women have to have loads of make up and wear some bright dress and be about 30 or whatever.

I think that you miss the point, and that is there is more than appearance to market. Many years ago some pretty 20 something was on VH-1. she said, "People shouldn't complain that the music industry is youth oriented because 33% of the record buying public are under 25." Well, duh, what about the other 67%. Do you really think that a 65 yeard old woman buying a CD cares how pretty the singer is? There are whole segments of the population that are forgotten, and after all, isn't that what art is about? Communicating to people? In a world that is on the verge of financial ruin while celebrities and CEO's making millions and governments balance their budgets on the backs of working people, I think a message that we are not giving everybody a chance to participate is a lot more powerful than meets the eye.

Here's another pretty face. How do you market talent?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O8583qFV_U

Last edited:
I think that you miss the point, and that is there is more than appearance to market. Many years ago some pretty 20 something was on VH-1. she said, "People shouldn't complain that the music industry is youth oriented because 33% of the record buying public are under 25." Well, duh, what about the other 67%. Do you really think that a 65 yeard old woman buying a CD cares how pretty the singer is? There are whole segments of the population that are forgotten, and after all, isn't that what art is about? Communicating to people? In a world that is on the verge of financial ruin while celebrities and CEO's making millions and governments balance their budgets on the backs of working people, I think a message that we are not giving everybody a chance to participate is a lot more powerful than meets the eye.

Here's another pretty face. How do you market talent?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O8583qFV_U

I think you've not listened to a single thing i said. I already explained that there are a lot of ugly people in music, usually more "real" music like metal and acoustic. The fact is though, that they're all men. The fact is, a woman doesn't stand a chance in the industry unless they're a demi-godess in terms of looks. The voice is pretty much irrelavent.
As for music that older people buy, well i think that a large proportion of it will probably be older music but of course older people will buy new music as well. However, that's irrelavent. You'd be surprised at how middle aged and older people can be just as shallow as teenagers and twenty-somethings. Maybe some older people would be more inclined to buy records from a less good looking singer. But think about it, they're not exactly not going to buy new music just because the singer is a piece. So why would the record companies alienate the younger and shallower people (who are not all young people by any means) just to sell to an older market. And think about it this way as well: how many record companies would want to say "we make music for OLD people!" Don't think so, somehow.

If you think that an ugly woman can make it as a performing musician, then i think you're being very naiive. It's like me or you being a solo drummer trying to make it, the general record-buying public just aren't interested. It would be great if everyone was more like the people on here, and appriciated music for the actual musical talent and creativity rather than what they look like and how much money their hotel chain owner daddy has but the fact is that 90% of the music buying public are NOT. As i've said talent is marketable, but sex is a hell of a lot morseo and that means more money for the record companies.

Last edited:
Back