Just Purchased My First Kit

Musician's Friend has $25 off if you spend $199 this weekend. Would it be a good idea to purchase a pedal & throne or should I still look around craigslist? I posted a pic of the tama iron cobra for sale. He said he would take $100

Those look perfect!. That is the "older" model. Older as in like a couple months ago...lol.
They have just brought out a "new" model but its hardly any different. The one in your picture is the one that 95% of Iron Cobra owners have nowadays.
So no, its not really "old" at all.

I got mine (exactly the same as your pic) used for double that price. In fact, thats about 1/4 the original price!.

Jump on em if they are in great condition and working order!.

Man. I'm starting to think I got ripped off. :/

Last edited:
Those look perfect!. That is the "older" model. Older as in like a couple months ago...lol.
They have just brought out a "new" model but its hardly any different. The one in your picture is the one that 95% of Iron Cobra owners have nowadays.
So no, its not really "old" at all.

I got mine (exactly the same as your pic) used for double that price. In fact, thats about 1/4 the original price!.

Jump on em if they are in great condition and working order!.

Man. I'm starting to think I got ripped off. :/

Cool, I'll give him a call today & see if he still has it. I could also purchase a Brand New Iron Cobra Jr for about $150. Would the used pedal be a better option?

Cool, I'll give him a call today & see if he still has it. I could also purchase a Brand New Iron Cobra Jr for about $150. Would the used pedal be a better option?

If the used pedals are in working condition, then they're fine. If you can take someone more experienced with gear to help you assess their condition, I'd suggest you do.

I buy most of my cymbals and drums used. Why pay the full sticker price on an item that doesn't really deteriorate in quality over time?

Dunno. Would you rather have a new PDP or a DW in newish condition?.

Or, would you rather have a new Toyota or a newish Lexus?.

The IC JR might be a good pedal but the IC is Tama's flagship pedal.

Which one do you want?.

The Iron Cobra Jr. would be a good choice,in fact most if not all Tama pedals are great.Why not scan Ebay for some used older single pedals and pick one up for cheap,say 30-40 bucks and upgrade you cymbals with the cash you'll save.

If you think not having a double pedal leaves you with less than a full tool box,just listen to John Bonham,or currently Mike Johnston.That guy is amazing with a single pedal,and so was Bonham.Nice choice with those Rockstars.They sound great with good heads and properly tuned.

Steve B

Here is a quick pic I snapped with my phone of the kit I purchased. I have a total of $500 into it. Had to purchase a throne, clutch for the hats, cymbal stand, sticks & the iron cobra db pedal.

Tama.jpg

Good score for $500!.

Are you glad you went with the IC pedals?.
Whats is their condition?.

The IC pedals are in great condition. The seller said that he just had them sitting there & needed some extra money. The heads need to be replaced. They are like new but don't sound that good. Thinking of going with some Remo Pinstripe Heads.

it looks like your floor tom might be upside down. it's a little hard to tell from the picture but usually the mounts for the legs are down low, not way up high like they look in the picture. i suppose it doesn't matter that much as long as the batter head is on top.

congrats on making some fine purchases, btw.

+ 1 on that...that floor tom IS upsidedown.I like Rockstars played open so I like the sound of Remo Ambassadors,or Emperors ,coated batters over clear resos.

Steve B

it looks like your floor tom might be upside down. it's a little hard to tell from the picture but usually the mounts for the legs are down low, not way up high like they look in the picture. i suppose it doesn't matter that much as long as the batter head is on top.

congrats on making some fine purchases, btw.

Yes it was upside down. I actually noticed it when I posted the pic. Flipped it around & all is good now.

NOT a good idea to start with a double bass drum pedal. Spend a year or two learning the fundamentals of footwork with a single pedal before buying a double. It doesn't matter if you need a double pedal to play black death thrash metal-core; you won't be able to play anything unless you have a solid foundation to build from. Gotta walk before you run.

Aside from that - it looks like you scored a pretty good deal on the Tama. Rockstars are great starter/intermediate kit.

I could not disagree more! I think if we all had the chance again, we would buy a double kick pedal and build up equal strength on both feet...

Back